Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got aluminum valve covers on my boat, they have breathers in the top center of them with foam inside the breathers. Anytime I put the loud pedal to the wood, or turn hard, freakin' oil comes out of them! I've pulled some of the oil out of the pan, now run 8 qts total in a 10 qt pan. My question is this;

Can I run evacs into my headers even if I'm running baffles?
Will I have to seal off the breathers in order for the evacs to work?

Thanks in advance
Skip

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What engine? tall or short rocker covers? Wha baffles?Pics? TIMINATOR
468 Chevy, short aluminum v/c, melling hi volume pump, bassett slip in baffles. What about oil restrictors? Solid lifter cam, roller rockers

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem with that setup CAS is that I already have tall breathers on my v/c, I can punch a hole for the PCV, but if the breathers are going to affect it, I'd need to do something about them

· Angry American
2,968 Posts
The problem with that setup CAS is that I already have tall breathers on my v/c, I can punch a hole for the PCV, but if the breathers are going to affect it, I'd need to do something about them
don't feel alone Skip. I've been searching for a pcv set-up that I like myself. In the meantime, I've just been putting up with the oil misting on the valve covers. I also have the breathers on top of long tubes.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's some pics of the breathers I'm running, also, if I add a PCV I should add it to the hole that's circled in blue, correct?

Attachments

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're running a hi-volume oil pump & it's filling your valve covers it may mean that you're running your pan drier than it's meant to be ran... Not good for the mains...:)bulb
Things I've changed since last year;
valve covers, I went from this style with small K&N filter breathers

to the aluminum ones you see in the other pics, changed oil pans, went from stock truck pan to 10 qt Dooley.

Intake manifold from single TR to Weiand Team G

Would any of those things make me have this issue?

Thanks again fellas
Skip

· Registered
1,592 Posts
Even with tight engines it seemed like I was always wiping up some oil, and do a hard left turn and definitely some cleanup. Those valve covers are cool old school, but I remember always wiping them up back in the day. I would reccomend at least tall covers with the breather located on the high side of the cover and toward the front of the boat.

This is how I solved that problem...

You can get these from RexMarine. They are threaded -16 AN (do not use a pipe thread!!!). Use a male -16 straight to a -12 male flare. Use -12 braided hose back to your Moroso PanO-Vac valves on the headers. Use a phony AN cover hose clamp to attach the hose to the POV. To fix to the valve cover, countersink a flat head machine screw from the underside to make sure you clear your valve train, and use hard lock tight on the nut.

Goodbye oil drip! Now...DO address what might be the cause, if indeed there is a problem beyond the normal pump up into the valve covers. If you're leak down is OK, you're good to go.

Attachments

· Registered
409 Posts
Here's some pics of the breathers I'm running, also, if I add a PCV I should add it to the hole that's circled in blue, correct?
luckie here is a way to save what you have, i run a moroso evac kit with your style of breather on my flat one side is run into intake and header vac and other side just to header vac .also i put brillo pads in the stands to catch raw oil and as you can put a flat plate to seal the top of your stands with a flat alum small enough to fit under the breather cap so the evac system works, kind of a two stage deal. the manifold vacuum works until i get to a rpm were the engine header vac takes over
sorry it's not hi tech im just cheap and use what i already have.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu97/havasubyou/DSCN5112Small.jpg

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu97/havasubyou/DSCN5114Small.jpg

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu97/havasubyou/DSCN5111Small.jpg

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the replies fellas, I'll be doing a leak down later this week to see if that's the issue, it shouldn't be, and I hope it's not. If I end up running the pan e vac valves, I'm going to have to wait til the season's over, I don't want to miss any boating time, I guess in the meantime I'll add sweatbands to my tool kit.

Thanks again for all the help,
Skip

· Registered
443 Posts
I've got aluminum valve covers on my boat, they have breathers in the top center of them with foam inside the breathers. Anytime I put the loud pedal to the wood, or turn hard, freakin' oil comes out of them! I've pulled some of the oil out of the pan, now run 8 qts total in a 10 qt pan. My question is this;

Can I run evacs into my headers even if I'm running baffles?
Will I have to seal off the breathers in order for the evacs to work?

Thanks in advance
Skip
Go to the chrysler style breathers that have a hose nipple. I had the same problem with the moroso breathers. Pulled the foam out through the outside hole with a pair of hemostats. Now it only will drip through the seam in the cheap moroso crimped seam on the bottom of the breather but lets out all the pressure. The chrysler factory breathers don't have the foam in them. The foam doesn't do anything to help relieve back pressure. The billet breathers don't have any crimped seams to leak. I don't think evac will work with the back pressure of baffles. I ran hoses from the breathers to my ski tow bracket and wire tied them where they just go past the transom. since there is a uphill part of the vent hoses the oil runs back to the engine and so far none at all has came out the hoses One more thing. The dyno proved that my 10 quart pan likes 8.5 quarts in it..6 horse power difference!.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.