1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read in a popular marine parts supplier's catalog
that a Chroming of any cooler reduces it cooling capacity by
up to 40%.

my question is what effect does the finish, chrome, paint, bare ect.
have on a water to oil cooler.????

anybody have any data to back up this statement?

·
Wishin I was at the lake!
547 Posts
I have also been told this same thing and still question it. Yes, chrome plating does not radiate heat well (may not conduct well either), but most (nearly all) of the heat transfer occurs between the internal tubes and the water, not on the exterior of the cooler (to the air). Unless the chrome plating ends up on the inside of the cooler, I'm not buyin it. I can't imagine that a manufacturer wouldn't plug the ports before dipping the thing into the vat. Would like to see some real data though...

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
The only thing I could figure is the raw finish of a brass cooler is rough and somewhat porous. If it's chromed or polished it will seal the material and not let it breath :)bulb ? Just a wild ass guess. But that's not going to effect the water......:)bulb

Sleeper CP :D

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Chrome plating would limit the amount of heat the external wall of the cooler could radiate (transfer), which is a measurable part of the system. I don't know about 40%, but I can see it would make a difference. The water absorbs the heat from the oil tubes, and can instantly transfer it to the outer tube as well as carry it off, but this is only a benefit if the outer tube can also get rid of the heat...otherwise it becomes saturated and no more transfer takes place. Plating would act as an insulator and could cause this. The ability of the cooler to absorb and transfer X number of BTU's just got reduced.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on plumbing this oil cooler directly off the jet pump
then to the engine. so hopefully the water will transfer the heat
fast enough that the chrome wont effect it.

·
547 Posts
I could pretty easily believe that chrome plating would reduce the heat transfer from the outer shell to the air by 40%, but no way 40% of the total heat transfer of the system, because I still don't believe that the outer shell is even responsible for that much of the total heat transfer in the first place. Again, heat transfer between the internal tubes and water is by far the biggest cooling medium in the system, and that's not affected much by the color/finish of the outer shell. Water flow and surface area of the internal tubes is the main driver here. If you're really worried about getting every last bit of heat transfer from your cooler, buy it unplated and paint is matte black, which is the color that will radiate the most energy.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The issue you are talking about is due to the plating on the inside, the heat transfer is lost due to added thickness of the heat transfer areas, the thinner you can make a heat exchanger contact areas the more efficient it is.

I don't feel that 40% is out of line at all.

The way to do it would be to solder caps on the ends and have it plated on the outside only, then cut the ends off and away you go, pretty and functional. Just another buttholes opinion...;)

GT :)hand

·
547 Posts
The issue you are talking about is due to the plating on the inside, the heat transfer is lost due to added thickness of the heat transfer areas, the thinner you can make a heat exchanger contact areas the more efficient it is.

The way to do it would be to solder caps on the ends and have it plated on the outside only, then cut the ends off and away you go, pretty and functional. Just another buttholes opinion...;)

If this is true (inside is plated too), then yep that's f'd up and destroys the cooler. Seems like some plugs would be a simple solution rather than plating everything.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Why in the hell would they plate the inside of a cooler ?

We have one of the un-plated ones it has worked great for yrs.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Why in the hell would they plate the inside of a cooler ?

We have one of the un-plated ones it has worked great for yrs.

Most platers dont like to do just the exterior surface of an object, basically because of the risk involved as far as having a closed vessel in the dip tanks which can get warm, the solution is to solder plugs on the ends and also a piece of tubing to the caps to vent the inside pressure off, the tube can also be used to "hang" the part being dipped..Just so you know.....

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Most platers dont like to do just the exterior surface of an object, basically because of the risk involved as far as having a closed vessel in the dip tanks which can get warm, the solution is to solder plugs on the ends and also a piece of tubing to the caps to vent the inside pressure off, the tube can also be used to "hang" the part being dipped..Just so you know.....
Reminds me of back in the day in ceramics..... BOOOM! everybodys project destroyed! :D

Also i wouldnt be too worried about the part exploding, i would be more worried about the internals poppin a leak... now you have water mixing with oil.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
The issue you are talking about is due to the plating on the inside,

If this is true (inside is plated too), then yep that's f'd up and destroys the cooler. Seems like some plugs would be a simple solution rather than plating everything.
ask any chrome shop and you find that is almost impossible to chrome the inside of an oil cooler. Plating doesn't work that way, it not like hot galvinize dipping. It would require a anode shaped and placed inside the cooler for any plating to take place inside. You can't seal them up though, plays hell trying to get them to stay down in the tank:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
ask any chrome shop and you find that is almost impossible to chrome the inside of an oil cooler. Plating doesn't work that way, it not like hot galvinize dipping. It would require a anode shaped and placed inside the cooler for any plating to take place inside. You can't seal them up though, plays hell trying to get them to stay down in the tank:D

They will typically plate with more than one metal though, nickel being the last... copper sticks to copper pretty good.... The cooler that I had seen plated had quite a bit of plating on the "ends" and inside, an oil cooler has a lot of places to hide air, so that needs to be filled with water to keep it from becoming a doughnut :D

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
As a teenager I worked at a plating co and we always plugged the bungs and or capped the threads. Now if the order was milled to accept the thickness of Brass and Chrome we plugged the hole and plated the threads.

I cant imagine anyone wasting material on the inners unless it was ordered that way.

If water is cooling the oil by transferring the heat away by moving through the cooler, how could the exterior matter. Thats a good one:)devil

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BTW its NOT plated on the inside, so they must be refering to the outside heat transfer
and the outside is only touched by the water passing thru.

I think they are full of it as far as plating reducing the cooling capacity.

Should this be plumbed inline from the jet water discharge to the engine supply?

surely if it will handle engine oil pressure, it will handle the water pressure.

·
21' Daytona
395 Posts
.......Should this be plumbed inline from the jet water discharge to the engine supply?

I've read you can get too much cooling by running the O/C before the engine. The oil may not get warm enough to get rid of any moisture.

I plan on plumbing mine with the exit water off the block. The block water temp rarely sees any hotter than 160*, and that is with a lot of idling.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts