Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have an oil temp gauge (though I realize that's the way to know)...but based on others knowledge; do you guys think I need one?

Engine is a 550 hp aluminum LS1.

Cruise RPM is 3500-4500 rpm; max rpm is 6100 rpm. The boat is a jet boat with a stainless B impeller.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Cruise RPM is 3500-4500 rpm; max rpm is 6100 rpm. The boat is a jet boat with a stainless B impeller.

how far/long do you cruise?

how big of an oil pan?

At those engine speeds that is some hot oil after a few miles.

S CP

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I move all the time, so cruise length varies depending on the size of the water....but typically in the 1-3 mile range; not short by any means...sometimes up to 10 miles.

The oil system holds 8 quarts.

Fuel is premium unleaded.

I was looking at the thermostat controlled units so that I don't have to worry about oil being too hot/cold.....

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
I move all the time, so cruise length varies depending on the size of the water....but typically in the 1-3 mile range; not short by any means...sometimes up to 10 miles.

The oil system holds 8 quarts.

I was looking at the thermostat controlled units so that I don't have to worry about oil being too hot/cold.....
what oil do you use?

A cooler wouldn't hurt you one bit, you'd be surprised as to how hot your oil gets. You should see about putting a temp gauge in at the oil filter just to check.

S CP

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
The mistake I made was I put the cooler on at the same time as I put the gauge on.
Then I realized it takes a long run at high speed/load to get the oil up to even 220 without ANY water flowing through the cooler. Now it's all plumbed in and I wish I didn't have the heavy ass thing on there.

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what oil do you use?

A cooler wouldn't hurt you one bit, you'd be surprised as to how hot your oil gets. You should see about putting a temp gauge in at the oil filter just to check.

S CP
Mobil 1 10w40.

The mistake I made was I put the cooler on at the same time as I put the gauge on.
Then I realized it takes a long run at high speed/load to get the oil up to even 220 without ANY water flowing through the cooler. Now it's all plumbed in and I wish I didn't have the heavy ass thing on there.

I will probably heed the advice and put a temp gauge on first. My theory (which could be wrong) is that using a thermostatically controlled oil cooler would help both scenarios...

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Mobil 1 10w40.

I will probably heed the advice and put a temp gauge on first. My theory (which could be wrong) is that using a thermostatically controlled oil cooler would help both scenarios...
Good oil... and yes a thermostat on the cooler is a good idea

S CP

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The only thermostat controlled remote oil cooler I can find is the one sold by Hardin. Are there other/better ones out there? Maybe one that includes the oil filters as one piece like the one GN7 posted in another thread?

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
The only thermostat controlled remote oil cooler I can find is the one sold by Hardin. Are there other/better ones out there? Maybe one that includes the oil filters as one piece like the one GN7 posted in another thread?
$$$$ and they take up space.

S CP

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

$$$$
and they take up space.

S CP
Here Jon, let allow me to fix that a tiny bit.

They do take up space. But compared to a remote filter and remote cooler, not really. The only benefit to the seperate pieces is you can splkit them, but then you adding unecessary line length.

I kind of giggle when I think what I paid for that cooler. The second one I bought was a little more, but still roughly the price of a used remote Olson.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Here Jon, let allow me to fix that a tiny bit.

They do take up space. But compared to a remote filter and remote cooler, not really. The only benefit to the seperate pieces is you can splkit them, but then you adding unecessary line length.

I kind of giggle when I think what I paid for that cooler. The second one I bought was a little more, but still roughly the price of a used remote Olson.
at the end of 10 laps what's your temp?

S CP

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Perfect. For a grouchy old bastard!:wink2: Sorry, I've been painting (my shop) all day and in a mood.:wink2:
Thats using the water exiting the superchiller.
We can get it 260-275 with the right straight 50 conventional. Higher on a course like Puddingstone.
I am only a grouchy old bastard when on the key board. My fingers are total pricks. I am, on the other hand a mellow, grandfatherly grey hair.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 15 of 15 Posts