Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last engine, I ran a 51060R wix filter, Full Flow without an internal bypass.
And the filter housing bypass was plugged.
It filtered 100% of the oil to the engine. Correct?
Keep in mind this was on a jet boat , never operated in cold weather.
After three seasons running hard with a 150 shot of N0S the new owner
disassembled it down to build a stroker motor. The bearings looked great.

Should I do this to my 502 that I’m currently building?
When I disassembled this one, the bearings showed signs
of trash going to the bearings.

I allways gave it plenty of warm up time.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
If the filter fails, you're out of oil.... Wix has a good reputation, but if you do not have a bypass somewhere, you're taking an unnecessary risk. Most filters have a bypass for that very reason. You might want to get a different Wix model, or another brand.

·
Nobody
1,720 Posts
On my last engine, I ran a 51060R wix filter, Full Flow without an internal bypass.
And the filter housing bypass was plugged.
It filtered 100% of the oil to the engine. Correct?
Keep in mind this was on a jet boat , never operated in cold weather.
After three seasons running hard with a 150 shot of N0S the new owner
disassembled it down to build a stroker motor. The bearings looked great.

Should I do this to my 502 that I’m currently building?
When I disassembled this one, the bearings showed signs
of trash going to the bearings.

I allways gave it plenty of warm up time.
Oil filter bypasses were meant for people that refuse to change oil and filter on their daily drivers so when the filter plugs up with garbage you still have(dirty) oil to the motor!. There's no reason to have a bypass with proper maintenance!...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
If you have the room look at a Napa Gold 1794, they are made by Wix, and are the two quart version of a Chevy truck filter. Little over 8" tall, lots of room for filter media and good flow, use them on all my junk.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the filter fails, you're out of oil.... Wix has a good reputation, but if you do not have a bypass somewhere, you're taking an unnecessary risk. Most filters have a bypass for that very reason. You might want to get a different Wix model, or another brand.
I have a dual filter base, if one fails won't the other provide
the needed oil. which brings up another question.

Dual Filters Good or Bad?

·
Nobody
1,720 Posts
I have a dual filter base, if one fails won't the other provide
the needed oil. which brings up another question.

Dual Filters Good or Bad?
Nothing wrong with dual filters, but if a filter fails that means it's junk and need to use a good one, if the first filter plugs up then you have a problem!..:D

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
The dual oil filter kits I've seen aren't in line (Series). They don't Double filter the oil, but they do offer twice the volume flow. And because they're run parallel, if one fails the other is there to offer standard volume flow.

·
Administrator
11,647 Posts
The dual oil filter kits I've seen aren't in line (Series). They don't Double filter the oil, but they do offer twice the volume flow. And because they're run parallel, if one fails the other is there to offer standard volume flow.

I run a similar setup (not trans dapt). It doubles your filter capacity when run in parallel like this.

I run 2 Baldwin B253 (ford type filters) off an olson cooler (filters have 20 lb bypasses in them). The B279 Baldwin Chevy filters also do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts