Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best oil filter to run in my boat ,i have A 21 FOOT ULTRA open bow with a 454 BigBlock Chevy,also what oil do you recommened.Im curuitly running Mobil 1 FILTER, WITH CASTROL GTX 10-30

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,625 Posts
There's a hundred threads on here about which oil I should use, and which filter is best.

100 people will give you 20 different "best" oils and, oddly enough, it will be the oil they are running.

Same goes for filters, 100 people will give you 15 different brands, each one touted as "best" by their user.

My 19' Taylor SS family cruiser has been in my family 31 years (dad bought her showroom floor new), 100 gallons of motor oils, from dino oils of "Mobil", "Havoline Supreme", and "Castrol GTX", in 10w-40 mostly, some 20w-50 (the castrol I used to use in it), currently running synthetic Castrol Syntech 10w-50.

God knows how many Fram filters it has seen, likely 40 or 50 minimum, currently wearing K&N Gold 2-qt truck length (I THINK P/N 6002).

The engine suffered no oil-related failures, ever, or "excessive" wear of any sort.

The engine was overhauled and upgraded 5 years ago (winter 03/04), flat tappet cam is nowhere near stock, was broken in on the Syntech and cam lube, no other additives are used, period.

·
Administrator
11,501 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.