Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
AIR POWER
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the biggest oil filter that can be installed on the stock oil filter housing on a 455 olds? I want one larger than the small stock one, will hold close to a quart of oil, and can be bought at a local auto parts store. TAPPED

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
What is the biggest oil filter that can be installed on the stock oil filter housing on a 455 olds? I want one larger than the small stock one, will hold close to a quart of oil, and can be bought at a local auto parts store. TAPPED
You could always get a dual filter remote mounted setup!:)bulb

·
AIR POWER
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could HJ but thats not what my question was. I know there is a different filter that holds more oil but dont know which one it is and the part stores only list the little one.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
I could HJ but thats not what my question was. I know there is a different filter that holds more oil but dont know which one it is and the part stores only list the little one.
Sorry.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Get a filter that crosses to a Fram HP2 or PH11. They are the long ones that fit the Olds and other non Chevy GM apps. I don't have a cross ref handy but a good parts house will. Like Napa. The filter you're looking for does not have the gasket around the perimeter like a Chevy does, more like a Ford diameter gasket but different thread than a Ford.

I have HP2's if you need.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
I just orderd the bypass kit from Summit last night - 9.55 for the part, 9.25 shipping LOL. I already have the dual remote filter top. I decided to go remote so I could install a Masterlube to pre-lube the motor. I couldn't really find a good spot to tap in an oil line for the Masterlube - the oil pressure fitting seemed too small, and too far downstream.

I was thinking of drilling and tapping the block itself for direct feeds to the AN fittings, rather than using an adapter, but I chickened out. That, and I saw the check valve in the block-to-filter adapter, and figured that was needed so I wouldn't prelube the oil pump.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
go to a system 1 filter they hold a quart of oil, and then also have a longer one that hold more quart and a half I think!

·
AIR POWER
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I will go down to the parts store and see what I can cross referance. Like I said I was asking if anyone knew of a filter that was larger than stock for a 455 olds and that could be bought at a local parts store. I will research and find it!

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
I guess I will go down to the parts store and see what I can cross referance. Like I said I was asking if anyone knew of a filter that was larger than stock for a 455 olds and that could be bought at a local parts store. I will research and find it!
The numbers I posted above will cross to the long filter for the Olds. They may even have the Fram PH11. I don't prefer Fram but maybe cross it to a Wix or Napa filter.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
PH11 is what I ran in my Olds and that filter held a QT of oil. Why do you need something to hold more than that. Id say if ya need some more...hell put 2 on and an oil cooler and call it a day!:D

·
AIR POWER
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked on a cross referance from PH11 to NAPA gold and its part number 51049. The question now is do you need the anti drainback valve in the filter because the 51049(PH11) doesn't have it, and the stock filter does. I dont even know what the anit drainback valve does? HELP!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts