Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil gallery restrictor's, are they old school, or are they still the standard? I'm freshening up my 540 BBC, switching from solid flat tappet to solid roller cam, always had great oil pressure, but the oil would get up to 225 - 230 degrees on a hard run. The present build had no restrictors, now going to full roller, should restrictors be implemented on the new build?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Oil gallery restrictor's, are they old school, or are they still the standard?
Yes..how does that sound for an answer.
Different builders will give different answers. Also depends on block...stock or aftermarket. (obviously your 540 is not a gen 4 block).
I used to run restrictors all the time on drag stuff. Less so on pleasure boat stuff. Drag guys usually warm up the engine for 10 seconds or so, then whack the throttle. Hard to get lifters oiled in that amont of time with restrictors. (so I quit using them)
With aftermarket main priority oiling, more guys do not use restrictors. Pan capacity also has a bearing, and engine rpm.
Most endurance guys are plumbing oil to valve covers to help cool springs. These guys are mostly dry sump also. So, the oil is scavenged quickly.
How is that for a non answer?
Wags

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
If your oil pressure never indicated an issue before...I would probably restrict it very little. (depending on block)
Wags

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Oil gallery restrictor's, are they old school, or are they still the standard? I'm freshening up my 540 BBC, switching from solid flat tappet to solid roller cam, always had great oil pressure, but the oil would get up to 225 - 230 degrees on a hard run. The present build had no restrictors, now going to full roller, should restrictors be implemented on the new build?
i quit runnin restrictors long ago and my valvesprings have thanked me for it;) last twice as long now:)bulb

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Block in a gen V production block, w/oil cooler plugs in the rail. I have smoothed out the lifter valley,opened up the oil pick up, and filter pad.
Wagspe208 I agree, I'm sitting on the fence, torn between 1/4 mile and endurance oiling.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
No reason for restricting the top end, even in drag racing.

If you have an oiling problem, fix it, don't band aid it by restricting the top end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts