Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Idaho Jet
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still having oil leak issues on my Olds 455 around the Distributor. It does have a o-ring seal and a gasket around the top of the dist.

any Ideas?

I hate oil leaks !

Craig

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'm still having oil leak issues on my Olds 455 around the Distributor. It does have a o-ring seal and a gasket around the top of the dist.

any Ideas?

I hate oil leaks !

Craig
Craig , the original and after market Olds distributors , were designed to use and oring so if that oring or the area on the intake is not clean or damaged , in typical Olds fashion oil will blow out the path of least resistance if a little blow by is existant, you could fashion a gasket to use under the Distributor flange as well but bear in mind that gasket will act as a "shim" and begin to change the engagment of the Distributor gear to cam . If you find that the o'ring looks good you may want to consider how and how well or if the crankcase is vented.... Tom

·
Idaho Jet
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Craig , the original and after market Olds distributors , were designed to use and oring so if that oring or the area on the intake is not clean or damaged , in typical Olds fashion oil will blow out the path of least resistance if a little blow by is existant, you could fashion a gasket to use under the Distributor flange as well but bear in mind that gasket will act as a "shim" and begin to change the engagment of the Distributor gear to cam . If you find that the o'ring looks good you may want to consider how and how well or if the crankcase is vented.... Tom
Tom, that is a concern. If I take my finger and feel the back of the distributor hole in the block, I can feel ridges on the rear of the hole but not up front. I don't want to take something like sandpaper and try to smooth it out and risk dropping some bits into the engine. I am going to try to get a bigger o-ring....

Craig

·
Registered
162 Posts
Try putting a super thin layer of silicone on the bottom edge of the dist, let it dry then grease it a tad and install it.

Could the leak be coming from the intake manifold to block seal?

·
Registered
393 Posts
are you sure it is coming from the distributor. it could be your intake??? the rubber seals that they give you like to squeeze out alowing oil to come out and rest around your distributor. happened to me. just pulled out the seal, cleaned up the gap with paint thinner, and sealed it with silicone. come to find out alot of builders don't use the gasket. they silicone it from the start........

·
Registered
162 Posts
are you sure it is coming from the distributor. it could be your intake??? the rubber seals that they give you like to squeeze out alowing oil to come out and rest around your distributor. happened to me. just pulled out the seal, cleaned up the gap with paint thinner, and sealed it with silicone. come to find out alot of builders don't use the gasket. they silicone it from the start........
This happened to me as well, except I didn't use the seals and there wasn't quite enough silicone between the manifold and the block.

·
Idaho Jet
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This happened to me as well, except I didn't use the seals and there wasn't quite enough silicone between the manifold and the block.
First of all, Thanks for all the info. I didn't use the gaskets, I used RTV. My question is, do you have to take the intake off or can you seal it it from the rear with the distributor out?

Craig

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
First of all, Thanks for all the info. I didn't use the gaskets, I used RTV. My question is, do you have to take the intake off or can you seal it it from the rear with the distributor out?

Craig
Do it right, pull the manifold and clean all surfaces well. I like the gray RTV.

·
Idaho Jet
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oil leak

Ok, we are going out tonight to see if we have it fixed. I used a little bit bigger o-ring and I sealed the intake to block mating surfaces. It did look like it was sealed between the block and the intake in the rear.....

Craig

·
Registered
393 Posts
Oh, and don't use the turkey tray gasket. Get the paper gaskets.
this is interesting...i was told by people on PB that the turkey tray was the way to go. one reason was it keeps your intake cooler( what i was told) i have been using one for 9 seasons now without a problem. there is nothing wrong with sealing up the front or rear of your intake(oil seal) without removing your intake. it is all about how you prep. sounds like you have got her licked.........

·
Idaho Jet
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this is interesting...i was told by people on PB that the turkey tray was the way to go. one reason was it keeps your intake cooler( what i was told) i have been using one for 9 seasons now without a problem. there is nothing wrong with sealing up the front or rear of your intake(oil seal) without removing your intake. it is all about how you prep. sounds like you have got her licked.........

Yes, and you get people on here telling you to use the rubber gaskets that come with it to seal the front and rear. Its all prefence...and yes I did seal it up on the rear with gray rtv so i can see if it is a issue....I have never had a issue like this before. Always used rtv to seal the front and rear....

·
Registered
162 Posts

Craig
I cleaned it up and sealed it without removing the manifold. (out on the lake). It worked and I have left it since.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts