Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
same engine...dart block 540 bbc twin turbo. Armandos look pretty good without breaking the bank, stef's are gorgeous, but I have no idea how they are priced...any others to look at? Is 10 quart going to be ok? Not opposed to something used, but haven't seen anything that seems to justify the savings.

Also...when you measure the pan, are you measuring from top to bottom or bottom of the rail to bottom?

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
We use Stef's almost exclusively, always our first choice. Olson makes a really nice alum. pan for about the same price. B&B makes a pretty good pan that is cheaper than Stef's. I had 2 Armando's crack at the welds after 2 hours of running.

·
Registered
396 Posts
We use Stef's almost exclusively, always our first choice. Olson makes a really nice alum. pan for about the same price. B&B makes a pretty good pan that is cheaper than Stef's. I had 2 Armando's crack at the welds after 2 hours of running.
Finally heard a bad report on a Armondo :))ThumbsDwn Hope mine holds up!! Even if he warranties it damage is done once it starts leaking!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jus saw the B&B...looks like it isn't listed on their site...it looks like something was posted on River Daves a bunch of years ago...seems pretty nice for the price. $320?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I've had my Armondo's for five years now, and I have to say it's the first pan that I owned that didn't leak. Just had it off to check my bearings, a little hard to get the v-drive version off and on due to close and efficient baffling, would buy another anytime. 67 hours on a 565.

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
Brian, was that an aluminum Armandos, or steel. I never cracked a steel one. Never ran an aluminum one.
Steel. Not here to trash him but both pans on a twin engine offshore boat first day of running. The rear bottom seam by the flywheel. Had to remove both engines and drives, form a piece of steel to fit over the corner all the way across the pan, weld it then put the boat back together. Been fine ever since. (5 years) Huge loss for us. I understand shit happens and maybe we got all his problems in one shot, but he wasn't willing to make it good. I needed 2 more pans, thought that would be an easy way for him to help... Would never take that chance again.

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Jus saw the B&B...looks like it isn't listed on their site...it looks like something was posted on River Daves a bunch of years ago...seems pretty nice for the price. $320?
We have them in stock. Probably the best value on the market for a marine performance pan.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
while I am at it...where is the best place to mount the returns?
High and opposite a main bearing cap. I weld a diverter flap on the inside to aim the oil back to the sump. I am way over Armandos' pans also. All my new stuff gets a Stef's pan whether it is wet sump or dry sump.

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
We have them in stock. Probably the best value on the market for a marine performance pan.
:))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp I have 3 on their way here from Chris

·
Registered
317 Posts
i may be wrong but isnt B&B an stefs the same company/manufacture i bought B&B for a SBC very nice pan for the money

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
i may be wrong but isnt B&B an stefs the same company/manufacture i bought B&B for a SBC very nice pan for the money
You are correct!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts