Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not worked with a 502 block yet but looking into putting a 2 pc seal crank into one. I can get one from stef,s no problem but wondering more about the oil pan. How different are they or are they different. Have a bunch of parts around here I wouldnt mind useing up.
Thanks
Paul

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I have not worked with a 502 block yet but looking into putting a 2 pc seal crank into one. I can get one from stef,s no problem but wondering more about the oil pan. How different are they or are they different. Have a bunch of parts around here I wouldnt mind useing up.
Thanks
Paul
Make smart remarks, then ask for advice. I see how you Kantards roll....:)devil
Can't answer your question. Don't know.:)hand

·
Some guy
3,610 Posts
Thanks
Paul
You are looking into putting a 2pc seal crank into a 1pc seal 502 block?

The pan for a 1pc seal is significantly different.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
A gen 5/6 seal radius is different, the length of the pan is different the rail spacing is different. Other then that they are the SAME ;)

On a side note we are getting reponses back now from customers that have used the new Melling Billet Select oil pumps and it is all positive. No signs of cavitation in marine or circle track applications, no distortion in housing bores. Pump seems to be a hit.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A gen 5/6 seal radius is different, the length of the pan is different the rail spacing is different. Other then that they are the SAME ;)

On a side note we are getting reponses back now from customers that have used the new Melling Billet Select oil pumps and it is all positive. No signs of cavitation in marine or circle track applications, no distortion in housing bores. Pump seems to be a hit.
Are they to different to be able to cut two and make one? Mate the gen 4 bottom to the gen 5/6 top? Or is this whole block idea a bad idea?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Are they to different to be able to cut two and make one? Mate the gen 4 bottom to the gen 5/6 top? Or is this whole block idea a bad idea?
I just went through this with a board member that has a Stef's pan and is changing blocks. To cut the pan and lengthen it for the Gen 5/6 and then cut the seal radius out and the rails would be not be cost effective and if you did it once you got done it would look like you cut up a pan even with our welders work. Jus not cost effective.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Obviously they are clearly different as the other board members have outlined above. Seems like a whole lotta work to cut them, as cstraub stated above it is simply just not cost effective and are you going to be getting the same quality as a new pan? Let me know if you need help getting one. I carry every major brand-Hardin Offshore, Hardin Jet pan/v-drive, Dan Olson, Keith Eickert, Dooley, I can make you a killer price for being a Perf. boats member and guarantee the lowest price anywhere. Thanks,
Brian:)hand

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The more I think about this the bigger the disaster I think it would be. Next is if I have to buy a pan for $1000 plus still do all the crap to the block I am prob most of the way to a dart. I wanted to put it out there in case I was missing something. The fabing the pan doesnt bother me I can do that here but this would probably turn into a dozen obstacles. Thanks for the info.

Paul

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are looking into putting a 2pc seal crank into a 1pc seal 502 block?

The pan for a 1pc seal is significantly different.
Ok, so I just went and picked up the block. Casting # is 10237300 so it looks to be a gen6. I set my oil pan on it and the bolt holes on the rails are the same width but the difference in about 1/2 inch in length. If I cant make a pan work I had better close shop. I would definitely be interested in a bullet hole pan if you have one as well as a timing cover so I could bolt everything together before I weld it so nothing moves on me. This can work I am no longer worried. Thanks for the replies guys!!!

Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts