Performance Boats Forum banner

oil pick up screen

Tags
oil pick screen
2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  bc18 
#1 ·
Does anyone make an oil pump for BBC the the screen bolts on to the pump I have had 2 in a row come loose. The pick up will go into the the pump real tight and I even tack weld the pick up to the pump ?????????

#2 ·
Must be an issue with your welding? If you are using a Melling pick up, it needs to get installed correctly without trying to move it around once it's in the oil pump housing.

If you look around there are various bolt on type pickups, some extremely reasonable depending on what pan it needs to fit.

#3 ·
I weld all mine solid , no matter what the application is , I tig weld them with a special fill rod that will work with dissimilar metals , ductile iron to mild steel can be a problem, usually the weld will crack , and weld 360 deg solid , also Moroso and Titan offers a pump with no pick up screen ,basically the bottom of the pump is the pick up ,only problem you have with it is depth of pan and clearance

#5 ·
Not necessarily, there is a lot of stress put on the pick up tube ,especially when using a HV , think about how hard it is pulling then released when RPM is dropped ,think of it as a suction pump , it will literally break even the best of welds or or press fits ,even bolted on brackets , try using a WIX racing filter too, large micron rating , oil seems to flow thru it better for systems with large volume

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.