Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
my oil pressure sensor died on me it is on a olds 455. what do you buy a sensor for that will work with my gauge?
I think most oil pressure senders have the same variable resistance range that's compatible with most gauges. It's just a matter of adapting it to your engine. What kind of gauge do you have?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what kind of gauge it is one of my buddies that worked for formula boats bought them at one of there employee auctions and gave them to me here is a pic of it

i bought a sensor today for a 1978 olds cutlass with gauge and it is back wards it goes to 80psi when you turn on the key then when you start it it goes down with rpms like it is back wards. the new sensor looks the same as the old one. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to buy?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Can you identify the gauge manufacturer?
The best way is to get the sender made by the same manufacturer.

if you can't identify the manufacturer, you might try picking up a Teleflex sender from West Marine.

Rex Marine is an excellent source for parts with great tech assistance, try contacting Rex.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i checked out formula's website and they still use gauges like this and they are made by livorsi. the old sending unit was what came with the boat not the gauges and it worked fine till my alt. bit the dust and spiked to 32+volts and took out my hei module and oil pressure sending unit.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Hopefully you put the sender in using very little thread sealing tape.............................

I do mean VERY little.

Senders are a varrying resistance to grouind (the block).

Too much crap insulating the threads, and the gauge will never read properly.

Most of those gauges are all the same.
Don't try to buy an "olds" gauge just 'cause it's an olds engine. Buy a sender for an Autometer elec. gauge or such. Go aftermarket.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
I wonder if you might have the ground and sender terminals on the gauge wired backwards. Just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.