Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone school me on the best method when welding my oil pump pickup to my pump? Oxy acet.with most heat on pump? Or can I Mig it? Thanks!

·
Registered
435 Posts
i mig mine, tack weld in position on a mock up block then i weld it all the way around also i have found that the pickup support needs some extra support on a v-drive pickup where the pickup is mounted on the far end away from the pump. they tend to vibrate and crack on or near tube.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i mig mine, tack weld in position on a mock up block then i weld it all the way around also i have found that the pickup support needs some extra support on a v-drive pickup where the pickup is mounted on the far end away from the pump. they tend to vibrate and crack on or near tube.
Yea it's a v drive and most of the ones i've seen crack at the weld I was wondering if I was doing it wrong,it has a mount at the far end of the P/U . Guess I'll clean it up and re tig it,

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Yea it's a v drive and most of the ones i've seen crack at the weld I was wondering if I was doing it wrong,it has a mount at the far end of the P/U . Guess I'll clean it up and re tig it,
Tig w/ silicone bronze.

·
northern member
602 Posts
if you can tig weld :D that would be nice, but i have always used a nickel cast to steel stick , done in less than 20 sec. if i were to try and tig a pick-up to a pump cover i'd be concerned about how hot i got it .

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
We tig them on the Stef's assemblies. We also use a larger thick wall tube that means you have to modify the pumps inlet OD to accept it but Mr. Stef says it works better.

The new Melling select stuff is very nice and we have been selling quite a few of the billets. These have a built in pickup so depth is fixed.

·
northern member
602 Posts
i was making fun of my tig skills (or lack of it) and for most others the stick with a cast rod won't crack like the mig can . the brace like was mentioned is a good idea to . no question a tig weld done properly is of higher quality .

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I have always honed the pickup hole so the pickup will slid in with a little help from a mallate. Then weld a bracket to the pickup that bolts to the pump, been working on many a build for years:(:(.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts