Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unbeknowing to me my neighbor/mechanic took the oil pump out of my old 454-gen4 motor and put it in the 502-gen6. Well no oil pressure when I started it. He's out of town so I took the motor back out and put in a new GM hi-flow pump for a gen6 and have 70 lbs. of pressure now. He swears the pumps are the same but I don't think so. Anyway now I have lifter problems so I think I'm going to give the motor back too him and get a new crate motor. What's the deal with the gen4 to gen5-6 oil pumps.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
just curious how someone removes your oil pump and you not know about it...:)bulb

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
did you prime the oil pump before busting it off for the 1st time? if you failed to , it'd take a good 10-15seconds to fill all the oil galleries then pressurize. just seems like something that could have been found properly priming the motor beforehand:)bulb

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you prime the oil pump before busting it off for the 1st time? if you failed to , it'd take a good 10-15seconds to fill all the oil galleries then pressurize. just seems like something that could have been found properly priming the motor beforehand:)bulb
He told me he primed it but there wasn't a drop of oil in the filter. I just put too much confidence in him and got phucked. Anyway he's going to take the motor back and return my money.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Although in the pic the we're using "Drill/dummy dizzy rig" we're using to "pressure up" the engine oiling system to find a leak , a simple easy and reliable tool can be made (or bought). Always recommend oil system priming in this fashion (even after long "layups"! Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts