Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im replacing oil pan gaskets and inspectig oil pan for leaks and such. While i was there i was thinking about replacing my oil pump since i have no idea whats actually installed or how old it is...

ANy recomendations for a SBC in the 340 HP range? runs about 5k RPMS..Also is it possible to measure the pan depth before taking the pan off? Saw multiple pickups so i was curious as to which one i needed.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Melling/689/10552C/10002/-1#

· Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
Good idea to replace the oil pump while you're in there...cheap insurance that way. May not be needed but it definitely can't hurt.

As far as measuring the pan depth, it's not accurate by any means but measuring from the bottom of the pan to the pan rail will give you a rough idea.

· I'm No Expert
3,051 Posts
Things are always changing but my Chevy book basically says unless there is damage to the pump that they pretty much run forever. It said to take the pump apart inspect it, check/correct end clearance, and run it.

Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's better than what you have. My buddys building a 454 and bought the exact same melling hivol pump i purchased 5 years ago. When comparing the two pumps his looked/felt lighter and weaker. The bolts where now metric and they seamed/looked like a cast peice of metal where mine looked like good steel bolts. Also when running them down they almost felt like i was going to snap them.

· Registered
409 Posts
melling select pumps make me a little Leary these days, some ads say billet gears some say just hardened like your ad from jeg's and competiton products list them as billet.my bet is you could end up with either just by luck of the draw,and you dont want a non-billet gear pump.
i have found some gears are made from powdered metal so check with manufacture for the type of gears that they say is in there pumps and then check it for yourself!

i like the moroso std volume race pumps check out competition product cat for info on both pumps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.