Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About that time to do a oil change and was thinking about makin a change. Last i remember I was running mobil one 15w40 in this engine. Course i could be wrong, I've swapped thicker and thinner a few times in the past when testing oil pressure. I still have a lower oil PSI than I would like, and a thicker oil seams to help when things get hot. Normally this is about the time I would set aside at least an hour and give Bob, GN7, a call. Boy he could talk about oil forever! I'm thinking about trying out the redline racing oils and curious if any of you guys have run it and what you think. I'm looking specifically at the 40wt stuff.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motor Oil for Racing - 40WT Race Oil (15W40)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I too have a bit too low of oil pressure (55psi hot) due to gun drilled rods, spring oilers, etc. Works well for me and can get it anywhere.

·
223 Posts
Race Oil

We have been running Delo 400 w/ Lucas synthetic oil additive for over 12 years, with no failures. I now of a half a dozen guys running 8 sec blown alcohol boats that use it. :)

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
About that time to do a oil change and was thinking about makin a change. Last i remember I was running mobil one 15w40 in this engine. Course i could be wrong, I've swapped thicker and thinner a few times in the past when testing oil pressure. I still have a lower oil PSI than I would like, and a thicker oil seams to help when things get hot. Normally this is about the time I would set aside at least an hour and give Bob, GN7, a call. Boy he could talk about oil forever! I'm thinking about trying out the redline racing oils and curious if any of you guys have run it and what you think. I'm looking specifically at the 40wt stuff.

I've been running Mobile 1 for many seasons and have had good results with it. Every engine tear down has resulted in my engine builder saying, "I don't see anything wrong".
It sounds like you've run it for a while and if you've had good luck, why change?

I know we all want to run "The best," but is there really that much, if any difference when it come to Synthetic Oils?

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, i guess we can let his secret out.....

Last I talked to bob, his favorite oil was Mobil 1 V-Twin 20/50 MC oil.

His second pick is what i'm running now which is Mobil 1 15/50, however, he said to watch out because that oil was changing soon! Said we'd probably see a donut seal on the back saying SM and when that happens to not use it.

Another oil he liked was Amsoil 20/50 racing but only when he would catch it on sale!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Don't run straight weight race oils in a recreation engine - they don't have the detergents and anti-corrosive components necessary for longer durations between oil changes. Straight weight race oils are meant as just that - race only applications - where the oil is changed after every race. This info came from Roy, the chemist at Red Line Oil. My dad was a dealer for them for 30 years. I run Red Line 20/50 in my 588ci Sterlings, but I think any of the full synthetics (such as Mobil 1 - which I run in my trucks/cars) would do fine. As was stated above, the Brad Penn stuff has a great reputation for race oils (especially in alcohol motors) - I'll be running their straight weight race oil in my blown alcohol motor.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Been running redline 10w-40. Not the racing, just the high performance motor oil. No issues. Order it through fcpeuro.com. they seem to have the best prices

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts

that would be one of the best oils you can run. If that's what you want to run, do it and feel good about it. You really won't find a better oil.

Bob like the Mobil 1 V-Twin oil for a couple reasons. He ran the 20-50 because the GN boats beat the shit out of the oil and in the last laps of the race when the oil was pushing 300* or better he wanted some thing that would still be there between the bearings and the crank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts