Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 468 bbc with dual 750s. tunnle ram. vertex mag. pretty mild cam. Supposed to be 10 to 1 comp. What is a good weight /type oil to use?

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
I have a 468 bbc with dual 750s. tunnle ram. vertex mag. pretty mild cam. Supposed to be 10 to 1 comp. What is a good weight /type oil to use?
Oh lord.

You are now going to get recomendations for everything from the 10w-50 Synthetic I run, to straight 50-weight dyno, or synthetic, laced with Lucas thickener, and GM's EOS additive.

You may also be told to run a remote filter, and not to, to run a huge oil pan and high volume oil pump, and not to do either.

Bottom line, run whatever the heck you want, and change every so often.

If you run a thick, single weight oil, with or without a bunch of additives, you get to idle a long time to insure it is hot and circulating the molasses before romping the throttle.
A thinner oil, not nearly so much.

Anything that maintains generally 10psi per 1000 rpm running, is plenty thick, and being fed at plenty of volume.

I run 23psi hot @ idle, 58psi flat out, for miles. 40+ psi hot at any rpm over about 2,000. 50+psi cold idle.
Moderately modded hyd. cammed Chevy, stock volume pump, 6 qts oil, K&N 2-quart filter on the block, 10w-50 Castrol Syntech.
5400RPM off the nitrous.

·
Is it Summer Yet?!
607 Posts
I run 20/50 Full Synthetic and Have 60+ Cold at idle to 70 at 3000 rpm

Couple hours later I get about 40 psi at Idle.

460 Ford

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
I know after the Navy spent our tax money testing oil for the Seal fast attack boats (605 BBC engines ran at 5200 rpm for 24 hours straight) that Mobil 1 15-40 came out on top for HYD ROLLER CAM ENGINES.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
Yeah but Chris, lets be totally honest here. The was Navy procured Mobil 1. The stuff runs like $250.00 a qt.
Not to mention the $5000.00 plastic funnel!

But then again, how else can they pay for area 51 and the storage of alien crafts without people finding out about it?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Yeah but Chris, lets be totally honest here. The was Navy procured Mobil 1. The stuff runs like $250.00 a qt.
:))eek:)):))eek:)):))eek:)):))eek:)) Dang that would be 2500.00 + filter per change!:D Now we know why we are in this shape! J/K, I run 15-50 Syn. NAPA that is Valvoline relabled and cheaper! WT:)devil

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
mobil 1 15-50syn in all our HP mills.best of luck

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i've been running 40w vr1 for the last couple yrs with great luck! we use 50w vr1 in the twin turbo 496 and when it spit the dizzy out during a pass, it didn't hurt the engine bearings at all, and it was making 24lbs of boost and turning 7800 when it happened:)sphss that fact it survived sure made me feel good about vr1 oils.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
I know after the Navy spent our tax money testing oil for the Seal fast attack boats (605 BBC engines ran at 5200 rpm for 24 hours straight) that Mobil 1 15-40 came out on top for HYD ROLLER CAM ENGINES.
Wow that's surprising news...I would have thought they would have used straight 60wt. :)sphss Yhep....that'd be the ticket.

Chris I've looked at the Mobil 1 labeling and the oil is all "L" coded ( I think) the low zinc stuff. In a roller engine is the zinc important to have, or do you know ?

From what I know about Mobil 1 I'm not surprized it was choosen, I'm sure straight 50 or 60 wt was a close second though. ;)

Sleeper CP :D

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Wow that's surprising news...I would have thought they would have used straight 60wt. :)sphss Yhep....that'd be the ticket.

Chris I've looked at the Mobil 1 labeling and the oil is all "L" coded ( I think) the low zinc stuff. In a roller engine is the zinc important to have, or do you know ?

From what I know about Mobil 1 I'm not surprized it was choosen, I'm sure straight 50 or 60 wt was a close second though. ;)

Sleeper CP :D
The Zinc helped with wear properties with the flat tappet stuff. Not needed in a roller mill.

GN7/Warp, lets not forget this test probably cost us $10 Billion but I bet it created 10 new jobs...

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Not to mention the $5000.00 plastic funnel!

But then again, how else can they pay for area 51 and the storage of alien crafts without people finding out about it?
I do remember one inventory we bought from Peneske of used engine and new engine stuff. This was around '01. With it came an oil drum full of some "thin stuff". I called the MFG as we were a distributor for them and gave them the serial number on the barrel .. .they sent a bill of laiding and asked us to ship it back.....You all and secrets down there....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts