Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and not wanting to spend the $ on a new oil pan, what should I do about the windage tray?
I have a Gen 6 502 witha Dooley pan without a windage tray that bolts to the mains.

should I add one ?
This engine should never see over 6K RPM

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure, when I pulled it down thats what I found.
It does have the plate and trap door mounted to the pan
but nothing mounted to the engine, any suggestions?

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is a pic , yes Jet, my last engine had an additional one that bolted to the mains that ran almost the length of the pan.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
I heard some talk awhile ago that some pro builders like the windage tray as far away from the rotating assembly as possible (bounce back) but of course over the oil level. Therefore a deep pan and a windage tray in pan and/or off long studs.

Sound reasonable ?

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
That's not really a wndage tray, it's more a slosh baffle, but it's better than nothing. Ditto what Warp said on the tray that bolts to the mains...they're worse than nothing in this case.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
The windage tray in all applications keeps the crank and rods from pulling the oil out of the sump. In a boat it also prevents the sloshing oil from coming in contact with the crank. At Stef's we like a minimum of 1/2" and a max of 1" from the rotating assembly.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I was going to post something to that effect put didn't want to bust your wallet. That pan is pretty much just a modified stock pan with an added sump for volume, and like Steel said that more a slosh baffle than anything else. There is pretty much zero oil control with that thing. You really should think about something else(except another Dooley). And remember a GOOD pan is not going to be a cheap.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
The B&B pan Rex Marine is selling now is a very good "sportsman" type pan and ALLOT better than what you have!!! About the best you are going to get in the price range.
The next $tep up for something better is a big one, and may be overkill for what you are doing IMHO. ;)

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah I know the routine, Break Out Another Thousand.

at this time B & B does not make one for a gen 6

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
and not wanting to spend the $ on a new oil pan, what should I do about the windage tray?
I have a Gen 6 502 witha Dooley pan without a windage tray that bolts to the mains.

should I add one ?
This engine should never see over 6K RPM
In that case and if you don't do spin-outs and such, why wouldn't a 8 quart GM marine pan work ? They have proved to work quite well in 6k or so and under I/O applications. If going mid 6k's and higher or bigger stroke, or taking hard turns/near or at spin outs, then I'd suggest something else.

I'm no oil pan guy but I have not heard of any issues with these GM pans in use stated above.

BTW: Cstraub, I didn't realize you where back at Stef's. Congratulations dude ! :))THumbsUp

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In that case and if you don't do spin-outs and such, why wouldn't a 8 quart GM marine pan work ? They have proved to work quite well in 6k or so and under I/O applications. If going mid 6k's and higher or bigger stroke, or taking hard turns/near or at spin outs, then I'd suggest something else.

I'm no oil pan guy but I have not heard of any issues with these GM pans in use stated above.

BTW: Cstraub, I didn't realize you where back at Stef's. Congratulations dude ! :))THumbsUp
What I have is a 9 qt, no spin outs but some extended runs
maybe 10 miles above 4500 rpms.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What I have is a 9 qt, no spin outs but some extended runs
maybe 10 miles above 4500 rpms.
Outlaw,

Armando's is here in El Paso, I need an oil pan too and was going to call him when I am ready, maybe he gives a discount for two oil pans. My Dooley pan that is supposed to be clearanced for a stroker crank is still hitting the rotating assembly :|err I guess it's not clearanced for a 4.5 stroke, only a 4.25 stroke. :)hammers Just another setback in a series of setbacks for this project.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts