Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to show off my ignorance, But what is a BBF and BBC, I have seen this used alot in reference to motors, something to do with BB(Ford) or BB(Chevrolet)? Even if I am on the right track, what is the BB? Go ahead and rib me, I can take it.

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
Big Block Ford (BBF) and Big Block Chevy (BBC).

Hang in there man.....lotsa slang to learn!!!

Enjoy the site!!!

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,078 Posts
You'll notice there is no "BBM" and the "BBO" , well let's not talk about it ;)

S CP

Big Inch Ford Lover :D

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

That was about as close to obvious as it gets, Thanks. I Guess I have a BBO (Olds), but from what i hear that is undesireable. Works so far for me, but then again I dont race, just cruize, and alot of skiing!

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Another one you'll wanna learn about is the 'donut'. If you bust one in a jet boat you can sink it. :D :D :)hand

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another one you'll wanna learn about is the 'donut'. If you bust one in a jet boat you can sink it. :D :D :)hand
I know what that is, But around here we call it a TURN AND BURN!!! Thanks for the heads up though.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Holy SH!T!!!

This whole time I thought a BBC meant "Badly Beaten Crap" and a BBF meant "Big Bulky Focker" :D

I guess that would make the Olds a "Big Balled Overhaul" :)bulb

GT :)hand(Not Gary Taylor :mad:)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Or the Olds could be a "Badly Bastardized Outboard" :|err

GT :)hand (Not Gary Taylor:mad:)

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
This is going to show off my ignorance, But what is a BBF and BBC, I have seen this used alot in reference to motors, something to do with BB(Ford) or BB(Chevrolet)? Even if I am on the right track, what is the BB? Go ahead and rib me, I can take it.
Well, SOMEONE has to be serious, if only for a moment.

Chevy has really only had 3 "blocks" over the years, The "smaller" one, is the "small block", the 262-400CID engine so comon (now punched to 427 at a very high dollar ammount by Chevy).
It is physically, dimentionally, several inches smaller, adn thus lighter, than it's bigger brother, the "big Block".
The Big Block has 3 versions, the original, (Mark IV), it's replacement (Generation V (Ford owned rights to "Mark V")), and IT'S replacement the Gen. VI. The Gen V had several features that made it pretty UN-popular with the aftermarket performance crowd, and it was fairly quickly replaced.

In the middle, there was, for a short time, a "W" block, rare, I THINK the "409" was most of it's production.

Ford has had several different ones (just had to be complicated I guess). Again, they are generally separated, due to physical size of the blocks into the "small", the Clevelands, Windsors, and Modulars, and the "large" (the FE block and the "385 series") blocks. the 385 is the comon Big Block, being found in 429 CID and 460CID.

As much of a mess as Ford had to have, I'll let a Chrysler guy explain the MoParts mess of blocks/engine families. :D

There may be a few I missed, or deliberately ignored (like the Ford SOHC V8 racing engine, which is a VERY rare item). 9 FEET of timing chain, WOW!

This was the "Cliff's Notes" version, sponsored by Reader's Digest.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Perfect engine for what you're asking of it.
x2. My stock bbo is 30+ years old and still is gettin after it. It doesn't haul the mail, but hauls snail mail. However for what you and i do i think you're good. (and that's with no thermostat, stock oil pan, etc etc.)

Sleeper CP is just prejudiced against Oldsmobile, because it's from the GM family and he bleeds ford blue. He also is the President, and banned them in 1975 when he was a young politician because of their high emissions.:)devil

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
other words you are going to see:

ride plate, shoe, shim(s), wedge(s), loader, pop off, jetaway, suction housing, set back, inducer, stuffer, etc.

no harm in asking ... just sit back and learn ... we all did at one point or another.

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
other words you are going to see:

ride plate, shoe, shim(s), wedge(s), loader, pop off, jetaway, suction housing, set back, inducer, stuffer, etc.

no harm in asking ... just sit back and learn ... we all did at one point or another.
the tough ones are dohicky, whatchamacallit, thingamajig, kanooter, chingadarus, whoha, etc. :p

1 - 20 of 44 Posts