Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a Howard Sportdeck with a mercury 600 supercharged motor. The fuel in it is 91 octane unleaded from October. The tanks are 1/2 full. Would it be a good or bad idea to top them off with race fuel (unleaded) to insure that the proper octane is maintained for the supercharger? Or,,, are there any octane booster additives that would be acceptable? When I took the boat on a test run it ran perfect with no pinging etc. I just want to insure that the octane levels have not deteriorated over time and damage my new baby.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I run race/premium mix in my dirtbike and my boat. Noproblems yet. I think one of the terribles in Havis sells av or race at the pump. I know I went to a station once with Jay that also sold race at the pump.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
You can put Av gas or Race gas on top off it 50/50 blend or even 30% high octane will be of benefit.

Sleeper CP:D

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
When I had my raced out Waverunner it needed 100 octane so I mixed 110 with 91 and got 100. Pumpwise though your probably going to have lead in your race gas. You'd probably have to go to some race shop to get it any kind of race gas without lead. There is 100 octane without lead but it is a street legal fuel and therefore more expensive than the 110 with all the road taxes and crap. Maybe check Parker oil. Sundance Mobil has 110 at the pump and so does Smith's. Smith's is more expensive for the race. Terribles and Superfuels has 100 at the pump but I think it's just AvGas. Don't use Superfuels.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So.... I need to use unleaded race gas right? I want to use something that won't mess with the computer. I am going to ask Bob Teague tonight at the boat show. What about additives?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
So.... I need to use unleaded race gas right? I want to use something that won't mess with the computer. I am going to ask Bob Teague tonight at the boat show. What about additives?
That's your best bet to ask Teague if it's his motor. I just know my experiences as listed above. I'd hate to tell you something that would screw up your motor.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a stock Mercury blue 600sci motor. I just want to insure the octane level is at least 91. The gas is old but when I had it out for testing it ran great. Absolute Marine has done a full service on it and it is ready to go.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
This is a stock Mercury blue 600sci motor. I just want to insure the octane level is at least 91. The gas is old but when I had it out for testing it ran great. Absolute Marine has done a full service on it and it is ready to go.
Shoot just call Aaron and he'll tell you what to do.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
One more question, can you buy race gas at the pump in Havasu and where?
Thanks all!!!
Terribles gas in Parker and Havi (downtown) was selling 100 Octane at the pump last time I was there. I think it was around $5. Not sure about the lead content. Call and ask.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys... So my plan is to buy 100 octane for the tank topper IF it is unleaded. I can't imagine doing any harm with this but I will check with Aaron at Absolute and Bob Teague at the boat show if I can find him.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Parker Oil on Kiowa blvd has 100 octane low leaded. You should be fine. I run a mix of 91 and 100 in my boat.
I would never buy another tea cup full any thing Parker oil has to sell.:)st

76 in town has 100ll (low lead) if you really feel the need but you should be fine filling it up with 91. If you wanted you throw some octane booster in it.

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
Terribles in Parker has 100 pump unleaded.
Runs teriffic.

Beware of Parker oil!
They had contamination issues just last spring,,, and the year before, and the year before that.
BC's a gearhead and raised the Parker oil red flag last summer.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You can run leaded fuel as well. The only time you can't run leaded fuel is if you are running a catalytic converter. I'm sure your boat doesnt have one so you'll be just fine.

·
Razor Wire Militia
741 Posts
most stations around here have race fuel or avgas at the pump,, just run the 100LL its cheaper than the race fuel and better IMO. lead is fine its also better IMO as long as you dont have a CAT on there.

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,870 Posts
Thanks guys... So my plan is to buy 100 octane for the tank topper IF it is unleaded. I can't imagine doing any harm with this but I will check with Aaron at Absolute and Bob Teague at the boat show if I can find him.

You will be fine. It is good to do so every once in a while. The old 76 station by the Queens Bay condo and movie theater has what you are looking for. I think it is now a Chevron or Shell, nit sure.

Mike

·
Registered
184 Posts
You will be fine. It is good to do so every once in a while. The old 76 station by the Queens Bay condo and movie theater has what you are looking for. I think it is now a Chevron or Shell, nit sure.

Mike
Chevron,
It was around $3.89 a gallon in January!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts