Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are at it again trying to accellerate old car scrappage, please read.

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Fockers should go after the cars that are driving down the roads with parts falling off of them and not us car affecianados.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Very few cars made in the last 30 years are worth keeping around.
And the ones that are don't get crushed because the State does not pay enough for them. I work in this business and believe me the cars that get retired are worthless pieces of crap that the owners choose to retire because they can't get more money for them elsewhere. Collectible cars don't get crushed.

·
Re-member
3,729 Posts
...The Workings Of A Previous Program...

......Over the years I have put together numerous old cars,....and frequented the self service wrecking yards.....At one point in time I was putting together a 6.3 Mercedes,....Ecology Auto Wrecking in Santa Fe Springs was handling whatever the buy back program, at the time, was......For several months I was in and out of their yard,...and consequently observed what got crushed and what didn't........The hundreds that were in the,...to be crushed section,...were of no great collectable worth.....There was a section in the left rear of the yard, set aside for those to be saved.....In that section were older Mercedes, and a few '50s cars, many '60's, and some '70's.........The process was,.....the titles to the cars saved,....were processed through the DMV,...and when the paperwork came back,...these vehicles were sold intact, with salvage titles.......I can't recall if they were auctioned or sold by best offer???......

·
Impeachment!
3,728 Posts
while I agree that a lot of old cars aren't worth keeping around (to me), I don't want the government involved in any way. I sure as hell don't want the government spendind TAX DOLLARS to buy up what they consider useless cars. If some dude wants to roll his '76 Skylark till the day he dies then so be it. And if some wrecking yard wants to make money selling parts to keep dude's Skylark on the road, great.
Look at how much governMENTAL interference we have in our lives already. The last thing we should do is allow more useless bureauocracy.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Nobody is forced to retire their vehicle. In California you don't even qualify for vehicle retirement unless:

(1) The vehicle has failed a bienniel smog inspection.

(2) The vehicle runs and drives. It must drive to the wrecking yard
under it's own power.

(3) Most of the glass and sheet metal is present.

(4) All of the required emission controls are present.

(5) You are the registered owner.

1975 and older vehicles are not subject to the program, therefore cannot be retired.

Any collectible post 75 vehicle, ie. a Buick Grand National, ZR1 Vette will not be crushed because they are worth more than $1000.00 if they run, drive and have all of the sheet metal and glass.

As far as I'm concerned, vehicle retirement is a good thing. The junk comes off the road. The down side is that it is usually replaced with more junk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts