Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got around to getting the gas out of the tanks after... 3 years.:)hammers
When I parked the boat I drained the carbs and sprayed some WD40 in the bowls, so the carbs should be OK.
I am going to change the filter(Fram HPG1)and take apart the Holley Blue electric fuel pump to make sure it is OK.

The pump drained the tanks of 9 gallons with no problems in a steady stream of gas.

Is there anything else I should check out?
Any ideas on what to do with 9 gallons of 3 year old gas?
Anybody want to buy it - $2.99/gal?:D

·
688 Posts
Well I finally got around to getting the gas out of the tanks after... 3 years.:)hammers
When I parked the boat I drained the carbs and sprayed some WD40 in the bowls, so the carbs should be OK.
I am going to change the filter(Fram HPG1)and take apart the Holley Blue electric fuel pump to make sure it is OK.

The pump drained the tanks of 9 gallons with no problems in a steady stream of gas.

using wd40 is not a good idea as it builds up a heavy sticky film. abetter choice is LPS or silikroil however silikroil is more costly just my .02

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
If you have rubber fuel lines, they should be replaced along with cleaning out the t-valve (if you have one).
As others said, burn the old gas mixing it in with the new gas although I'd probably only do maybe a 10 to 1 mixture. Then again, $2.99 for premium gas isn't a bad deal...will you pay shipping to Norcal? :D

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Old fuel that is "sour" and loks and smells varnishy can cause a multitude of problems ,not only carb and fuel system but even sticking valves,preignition detonation etc etc , please dispose of it in a safe leagal manner (most land fills have a disposal program) just my opinion :D Tom

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
the tanks are vented, so the good stuff that made the octane what it was is probably no longer there, so good move.
how long has it been since the oil was changed? did you change it when you parked it?
i'd completely disassemble the carbs and replace every gasket and o-ring in there, make sure everything is perfectly clean, adjusted properly and not sticking, but that's just me. i do that -at least- once a year, just to be sure (sometimes twice).

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
the tanks are vented, so the good stuff that made the octane what it was is probably no longer there, so good move.
how long has it been since the oil was changed? did you change it when you parked it?
i'd completely disassemble the carbs and replace every gasket and o-ring in there, make sure everything is perfectly clean, adjusted properly and not sticking, but that's just me. i do that -at least- once a year, just to be sure (sometimes twice).
Sage advice BP , a few years back I built a SBC for an old 56 Ford pu hot rod that had sat for years,lit the motor for a few seconds ,smiled at success and went home next morning went to start it for breakin and it cranks like no compression ??? pulled the valve covers and almost all the push rods were bent Pulled the heads and multiple cooresponding valves were stuck (the fuel was like molasses (harsh lesson) Tom

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
9 gallons of 3-year old gas...I would have added new gas to it and run it.
So would I. Fill the tank and fired it up.

Now pour it in the truck or cut it into the lawn mower and use it.

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
I just recently cleaned my tanks and carbs! what a PITA! It sat with gas in it for 2+ years took the carbs in to get cleaned, they were frozen! as for the tanks there was no way I was going to run clean gas in there you could smell the old gas from the vents.

It took me about a week to get them clean it involved isopropyl alcohol, MEK and a big chain!

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
The gas was about 2 1/2 months old, it was all 89 octane. Had a guy put my engine back together for me because when I did the original assembly and I ended up with a lot of major problems (ALL related to putting a rect port intake on a oval port headed engine with oval port gaskets, live and learn). Anyway, I added about 5 gallons to each tank and a bottle of octane booster in each tank as well to my 2 1/2 month old 89 octane gas. In the pic is the result. Was it worth it to me to run that old gas? Phuk no. Gas also looses about 1 octane point for every month that it sits. I didn't hear detonation over my headers and gear drive.

I will never run old gas in anything again, except for the lawn mower. IMO

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts