Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone knows where the molds for some of the jet boats from the 70-80's might be. Thinking of Hondo Pantera, Rodger's Super Cyclone, Liberty, Southwind 18', Avenger, 1st iteration of Eliminator's 19 Daytona (Eliminator still has the "fixed" molds). I started this thread in "open water" and it was suggested to move it here. Any Ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks riverbottom,

I talked to Avenger and yes they have the 18 but they also said they have the TR. wasn't that the only 19?

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
The southwind 20 Dana has (updated deck)
The T deck Is being built but i forget who was building it
The southwind 18 and the original T deck along with the tunnel dragster a guy in northern cal named Bill Morgan I think owns all of these and he will not build any boats right now. I have sent him a few emails without any returned. I would like to get a c/f SWTD done up.....:D :)hand

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The southwind 20 Dana has (updated deck)
The T deck Is being built but i forget who was building it
The southwind 18 and the original T deck along with the tunnel dragster a guy in northern cal named Bill Morgan I think owns all of these and he will not build any boats right now. I have sent him a few emails without any returned. I would like to get a c/f SWTD done up.....:D :)hand
Maybe Mr. Morgan needs some convincing? What a puts, he doesn't like money?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone knows where the molds for some of the jet boats from the 70-80's might be. Thinking of Hondo Pantera, Rodger's Super Cyclone, Liberty, Southwind 18', Avenger, 1st iteration of Eliminator's 19 Daytona (Eliminator still has the "fixed" molds). I started this thread in "open water" and it was suggested to move it here. Any Ideas?

The original 19 daytona mold is at GS marine, it has had the flat keel removed and a round keel was added plus a few more ideas that a dear freind designed

·
Registered
550 Posts
The Hondo Pantera molds are still around. I was at Hondo last week with my newly acquired Brendella with a Pantera bottom. Dale Ferria said he still has the mold and T Deck top to it along with a few flatties and other jet molds to at his house. They are located in Merced Ca.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The Hondo Pantera molds are still around. I was at Hondo last week with my newly acquired Brendella with a Pantera bottom. Dale Ferria said he still has the mold and T Deck top to it along with a few flatties and other jet molds to at his house. They are located in Merced Ca.
I didn't realize Hondo was still in biz. What do they do?(besides make boats if they even do that?)

·
Registered
550 Posts
They are mainly into circle track parts and boat repair etc. Dale is going to build my motor and rig/plumb the Brendella for me. (He was very impressed Brain) He is actually thinking of shutting down the store and just working from his huge shop at his house. He builds alot of engines and is thinking about getting a Dyno to keep that program going. He acts like he is done with boats but when I get him talking I can tell the spark is still there and he still has it in him to work on them from time to time. I will ask him if he would layup a hull and what it would cost he just built a couple Hondo Skiers not to long ago. There are some new and used hull's in the shop for sale that he mentioned he needs to finish. I have my eye on a long Hydro Jet they laid up and never rigged.

·
Owner/Crew Chief
443 Posts
Hondo Boats, Inc. is owned by James Brendel, the son of Hondo Boats founders Peggy & Irv Brendel. The company is located in Menifee, CA.

James is the designer/builder of Bob Pizza's 'WhatA Tomato' TAH #923 that competes in the IHBA. They have just finished laying up 6 lake hydro's based on the 'WhatA Tomato' design and are currently rigging them. Additionally, James has partnered with Dallas Helm, owner of Meinkens Racing Propellers to produce and sell Forged Racing Props under the name Hondo-Meinkens Forged Propellers. James is also one of the originators and leading manufacturers of Safety Capsules and speciality components for drag boats.

Hondo also does quite a bit of design & fabrication work for the Off Road and NHRA Top Fueler & Funny Car guys. They have a new web site ( www.HondoBoatsInc.com ) under construction which, hopefully we will have at least a static site up and running by the time of the IHBA LakeFest Race in late April.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I know Brendel's that used to be in Merced. The Hondo I go to in Merced says (Division of Ferria Motor Sports) and Dale has the molds like I said and built the Hondo Skier's and other's.

Maybe they have split the biz up?? All my reciepts say Hondo boats right on them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know the old Earl Smith 18' and 20' gullwing molds and the 16' or 17' tunnel hull molds are here in El Paso, Texas. I know they still build a few. I know of three 18' gullwings that were made in the last year.

·
Owner/Crew Chief
443 Posts
I know Brendel's that used to be in Merced. The Hondo I go to in Merced says (Division of Ferria Motor Sports) and Dale has the molds like I said and built the Hondo Skier's and other's.

Maybe they have split the biz up?? All my reciepts say Hondo boats right on them.

James just got the rights to the Hondo Boats name back just before the World Finals last year.

·
Classic Hotboater
590 Posts
old molds

I'm told that the few Sterling Jets out there were made in Bassett VA. not that far from the Martinsville Speedway. I spoke with a man just last week that told me he knew where the Sterling molds were located.
[URL="http://
[/URL]

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
I know the old Earl Smith 18' and 20' gullwing molds and the 16' or 17' tunnel hull molds are here in El Paso, Texas. I know they still build a few. I know of three 18' gullwings that were made in the last year.

I actually met the guys that lay them up. They were at the world finals last year. very nice guys and have killer prices. Somewhere around $4-5k for a bare hull......

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
James has partnered with Dallas Helm, owner of Meinkens Racing Propellers to produce and sell Forged Racing Props under the name Hondo-Meinkens Forged Propellers. .
Dallas does killer props right out of his house. He was looking into doing inducer a few years back. I just never got back to him about them.....

·
Registered
851 Posts
The 18' original Roger's mold is at Advantage in Havasu. The 19' Roger's mold is in Mexico.
I heard that Advantage sold the 18 bubble, that's the only 18 they bought from Roger, that and the dragstar. The 19 Bonneville TR down in Mexico is NOT the original Rogers mold, it's a mold taken off an old hull. The original 18 flatdeck, (the 18 super cyclone) the 19TR and the 20 TR are in storage so cal.

All of Avengers molds are sitting in the same spot they've been for the last 30 odd years, in the yard of Avengers shop.

There were a set of Southwind molds on craigslist last year, one set was the T deck, the other the old 18. Don't know if they were original Southwind molds, but he was calling them that.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts