Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a friend who was asking me about a drum of VP 116 that he bought new and never opened about 5 years ago.

If it was opened and space for air (used some) I would say toss it.
Never being opened, not so sure????

What do you guys think?

Jim

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I wouldn't be afraid to run it and see. What could it hurt? Worst can happen is you have chainsaw and lawn mower gas for years to come. You could also mix it 50/50 for dirt bikes adn atv's.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking there's a lot it could hurt!!!!

Or is that sarcasm on your part???? :):)punch :)hand

Jim

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
VP should have info on their site about storage times and degredation. I personally would only use it (as was stated) in lawn mowers and such.

Darrell.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Somewhere I read that gas losses 1 octane point a month... 12 X 5 = 60, 116 - 60 = 56 octane... maybe a good weed killer, or even a fertilizer???

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sell it to that Dan guy.:D
Ohhhhhhhh baby, man........Paul!!!!!!!! Dude!!!! good idea!:)bulb

Think he would fall for the old
it's not dated 5/16/00 it's 5/16/08 cant you tell????????????
Really Dan, really.......they make their 8's funny out there!!!!!
Danny boy old buddy, this drum of 116 is a FOOK of a good deal!!!:D

Jim

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I was told that if it is never opened to air and can't gas off it keeps for quite a while, but don't know about that long, can you open it and do a specific gravity test? That may answer a lot of questions...The barrel might just be full of retired bank executives (worthless):D

GT

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
you guys crack me up. exactly what do you think happened to that gas while it was in that drum. Did some of the light ends get out, the lead deteriated, it really doesn't even matter if the drum has been opened, as long as it was sealed tight, and not open for any extended periods, that would allow the light ends to evap. You are aware that a open drum of fuel contains zero air, right? So when you recap it, there is zero air in the drum. Fumes can't leave the drum at the same time air is going in, and fumes are always leaving the drum. Reminds of customers that want their freon changed in their A/C units because the old stuff is worn out. If the crap wasn't in NY I would buy the stuff in second.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
you guys crack me up. exactly what do you think happened to that gas while it was in that drum. Did some of the light ends get out, the lead deteriated, it really doesn't even matter if the drum has been opened, as long as it was sealed tight, and not open for any extended periods, that would allow the light ends to evap. You are aware that a open drum of fuel contains zero air, right? So when you recap it, there is zero air in the drum. Fumes can't leave the drum at the same time air is going in, and fumes are always leaving the drum. Reminds of customers that want their freon changed in their A/C units because the old stuff is worn out. If the crap wasn't in NY I would buy the stuff in second.
I will tell my snow blower that in a couple weeks. lol

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I am thinking there's a lot it could hurt!!!!

Or is that sarcasm on your part???? :):)punch :)hand

Jim
No, it wasn't sarcastic at all. Drum sealed, no oxidization going on, no evap, no nothing. A sealed, un-opened drum of fuel dosen't just "go bad".

What could it hurt?
You put a few gallons in something and run it.

What could it hurt even if it is bad, if you're testing it? If you're stupid, and just go fill the tank, head to the river or track and hammer it, and you detonate the thing to death maybe yes. That would be stupid, wouldn't it.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
does your snow blower have a sealed unvented fuel tank? everyone assumes because fuel goes bad in car, motorcycle, snowblower that it just goes bad "because". It doesn't, you'd be amazed at how old some of the race fuel you really is.
I get your point. I just dont know if I would try out an 8 year old $500 drum of fuel in my new $20,000+ engine.

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
gn & steelcomp are right.

The fuel should be fine.

Two reasons fuel go bad ... 1) oxidization and 2) the loss of light hydrocarbons.

Loosing the light hydrocarbons is what will lower the surface tension of the fuel and change the flash point.

The only way these two can happen is if the drum was opened and allowed to vent to the atmosphere.

If it is a sealed drum, it should be fine.

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
And dry. Keep it elevated so it has an air space all around it. Even a lined drum will rust if moisture is present over time.
Sorry, I just made the assumption that everyone knows to keep their drums on a pallet or a couple of blocks of wood ... condensation will occur like Neil said if it is left on a cold concrete floor.

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
Hell i am just going to stock pile my retirement in my garage now :D

·
northern member
602 Posts
what about affects , changes to fuel from temp. do the light ends mix back in with the liquid fuel if the drum isn't opened when hot ( like after sitting in the back of your truck on a hot day ) ? does leaded fuel like VP 116 seperate after heating and cooling and then sitting ? i don't know but i wonder if the heavy ends ( lower octane ) would be at the bottom of the drum . remember reading a article years ago in Circle Track on fuel by smokey and he said that some of the unleaded race fuel at the time was seperating after getting heated by the sun even if the drum wasn't opened before it cooled !

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
they actually never come out. it's about temp/pressure. Propane is a liquid while it's in the can, but when you open it, the pressure drops and propane boils off and turns to gas (vapor) which is what burns. As long as the drum is sealed, pressure in the drum will build to the point that the light ends can't boil off and remain a liquid. All said, you should still keep the drum in a cool spot, if for no other reason than to keep the pressure in the drum down, it can get pretty damn high in direct sunlight. I think you may have misunderstood the article. Gasoline is photo reactive. I never store fuel in plastic jugs, even red ones, and never in the sun. Gas in a plastic jug, even in indirect light will degrade!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 26 Posts