Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
16,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guesses on the "red stuff" in the bottom of the engine stand after assembling the engine.

Old schoool guys no fair answering.

Attachments

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Atf?

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I'm liking the COP action! Marvel X2!

·
SDBA #819
276 Posts
When we change out pistons and sleeves/liner out in the field we use joes hand cleaner on the o rings and atf on the piston rings. My guess wouls be marvel, how does it smell?

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
atf mixed with stp for a red/clear slime.. When I was 15 my dad decided to blow up the jeep motor at the dunes!!!LOL so I got my first taste of engine stuff. This was the stuff he mixed up.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
I'll take a bow. The youngest guy here, but I was taught by the best, peoples.

Marvel was my second guess though.

·
Gone in a Flash!
220 Posts
OK, Since we're on the subject, I'll show my age. I was schooled to use 50/50 mix of 30wt non-detergent and STP for general assembly and heavy moly grease on the cam lobes/ lifter bottoms. (flat tappets) :)sphss--So what do you gurus recommend these days as the products of choice for engine assembly? :)Unsure

·
Administrator
16,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's ATF...yes I was taught by the old timers and I'm 48...BTW..INFO (RON) is 50...he is considered a "old timer"
Thanks Eddie. I have the memory of an Elephant. Remembering this for 2 years is not a problem.

ATF on the pistons rings. Yeah, I remember ol granpa doing that. Its OLLLLLLLDDDDDD school alright. So how much of that oil in the drip pan is still usefull for the initial fire off?
I can have a long block on the stand for a month and never see a drop under it.
That actually came from holding the piston away from the engine and pouring it out of a quart container. That stuff comes out pretty quick. :duh:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts