Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, computer guru's, don't Tar-&-Feather me to hard here...I have this old 2002 Dell Dimension 8200 that (for my needs) works perfectly. I'm not a gamer, watch dvd's or download huge files etc. But with this PC just browse the internet and do some picture work with Dell Image Expert and or Paint...nothing crazy!

Current Operation System is XP Home Edition w/Service Pack 3

I just fired-up the 'old reliable' and got the below!

"Support is ending soon
On April 8, 2014, support and updates for Windows XP will no longer be available. Don't let your PC go unprotected.

What is Windows XP end of support?

Microsoft has provided support for Windows XP for the past 12 years. But now the time has come for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources toward supporting more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences.

As a result, after April 8, 2014, technical assistance for Windows XP will no longer be available, including automatic updates that help protect your PC. Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP on this date. (If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you will continue to receive antimalware signature updates for a limited time, but this does not mean that your PC will be secure because Microsoft will no longer be providing security updates to help protect your PC.)

If you continue to use Windows XP after support ends, your computer will still work but it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Also, as more software and hardware manufacturers continue to optimize for more recent versions of Windows, you can expect to encounter greater numbers of apps and devices that do not work with Windows XP."

My PC doesn't meet the requirements for Win 8.1...and don't really want it.

So, is there anything I can do to keep it running health and happy as it already is?

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
I was recommended to install Windows 7 on my machine, so that is what I bought. I have yet to install it though. I have a laptop with Windows 8 on it. I really don't like it, but can fumble my way through it. Change sucks! ;)

BTW still have an 8200 that still works. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
You'll be fine

You should be OK staying with XP, if you're running an antivirus. This message just means that Microsoft is not making any further upgrades/updates to XP, it is 12 years old and 3 versions old now.

·
Just Me
4,107 Posts
You should be OK staying with XP, if you're running an antivirus. This message just means that Microsoft is not making any further upgrades/updates to XP, it is 12 years old and 3 versions old now.
This is correct. Nothing on the computer will stop working. However, if you buy a new printer in the future, there is no guarantee that you will be able to find a printer driver for it. It is like Ford sending out a letter and telling you that because your car is more than X years old, they will no longer make parts for it, nor stock parts for it, nor devote any training or resources toward ensuring that mechanics know how to fix it or any of it's systems.

It does mean that you should make sure your antivirus and malware protection is current and up to date, as hackers are constantly working on new ways to infect and infiltrate your computer.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If thats all ya do Net, pix, etc don't sweat it. I'm sticking with my XP desktop, but do a few things. Use Firefox for a browser.(IE sucks, always did me). Then go up top to Tools. Click options, click security. Click saved passwords. Delete all. Then un check "save passwords" Done. Now you probably will have to sign is again to forums ya a member of. Just click remember me. Good nuff.

I took off an financial stuff me, and do that on my OS7 Laptop. (YEP 8 SUCKS!). Thats all I'm gonna do, and doubt the world will blow up XP end. Heck, there people stilll running win 2000, and that ended years ago!

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback...
I already have a newer Laptop and it's running win7. Not bad and I do use it a lot but, I do like my big PC monitor, the sub woofer and other speakers running on the older Dell PC.
PC use AVG/free with Spypot.
FireFox on both and that's fine too :))THumbsUp

BTW and another reason I'm wanting to rush out to buy another pc tower...my older Canon scanner and HP printer probably would need replacing too :))ThumbsDwn

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks for the feedback...
I already have a newer Laptop and it's running win7. Not bad and I do use it a lot but, I do like my big PC monitor, the sub woofer and other speakers running on the older Dell PC.
PC use AVG/free with Spypot.
FireFox on both and that's fine too :))THumbsUp

BTW and another reason I'm wanting to rush out to buy another pc tower...my older Canon scanner and HP printer probably would need replacing too :))ThumbsDwn

Pretty sure meant "Im NOT Wanting". No big. Got yer back this. Same me. My printer and scanner will not work OS7. Damn sure aint buying new because what I got works fine. And same me the house "beast". Does what needed, big flat panel, and "noise for vids", and a big comfy chair. When I get up at noon..(retired), its coffee and the latest Net BS. Then the shop later, Laptop, beer and ..(where I am now..getting nothing done again, but theres always a list, and "maybe tomorrow ):cool:

Also on the CONSTANT "updates MS"? Old Sp 1? Caused more problems than fixed the "non problem"anyway.
Mostly meant all the biz running programs..(like now all the ATM's will need a upgrade that ran XP deacades)

Thing is I STOPPED ALL AUTO updates LONG ago the XP. NEVER ANY PROBLEM ME! But with the latest, decided to do all new, SP3. The fricking puter was smoking hot for over 2 HOURS..(high speed Comcast crooks), down and uploading!

On OS8?..(even 8.1 which at LEAST put the START button back)...well OS7 was the closest to XP once ya figure it out..(when did SPECK PRINTED go to a freaking Symbol?...joke. On 8? Simple meant for touch screens/tablets, ect. NOT "Mouse friendly"..(Nice move MS..but dumb)

World didn't "crash" Y2K...and won't April 8th. (Even bet the feed back there getting this, will be "rethink").

1 - 9 of 9 Posts