Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive done all the necessary mods for the oiling system on my 455. The machine shop that built my engine has now stepped up to finishing my heads and wants to know what thread size i want for the oil drainback to the pan... He was gonna go with a 1/4 npt but im not sure if thats big enough. I know hotboat did an article on this procedure in one of its magazines but i dont have access to it.

Does anyone know what thread size can be used, 1/4 just doesnt seem large enough to me for some reason. Any addition information or pictures of this procedure done would be great.

Look at this photo what size does this look like???

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
That's odd they have one oil drain back going up to the other side of the engine instead of down...

Get ahold of TIMINATOR, he's probably the guy that wrote the article in HotBoat.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
My buddies has -8 hose and fittings, has the Mondello return kit. He too has a return on each side running to the pan. That crossover would not work too well for oil return, it's only gravity pulling the oil to the pan.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My buddies has -8 hose and fittings, has the Mondello return kit. He too has a return on each side running to the pan. That crossover would not work too well for oil return, it's only gravity pulling the oil to the pan.

yea i dont plan on using the crossover, im gonna have 2 returns to the pan... that setup doesnt look towork very well especially with the routing of the lines. Happen to know what size threads the -8 fittings are?

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
... Happen to know what size threads the -8 fittings are?
A copy and paiste from Luckie Stiff who stole it off another site. :D

"
AN Fittings

"AN" (Army Navy) Sizes were established by the aerospace industry. The measurements represent the O.D. (outside diameter) of rigid metal tubes.
Basically, dash sizes are the numerators of fractions with a denominator of 16.

EXAMPLE:

-6 is equal to 6/16 in. which is equal to 3/8 in.
-8 is equal to 8/16 in. which is equal to 1/2 in.

In the examples above, a -6 AN fitting would work with a pipe that has a 3/8 in. O.D. A -8 AN fitting would be used with 1/2 in. O.D. pipe.

Here's a simple chart, just in case you don't want to do the math.

-02 AN is equal to 1/8 in.
-03 AN is equal to 3/16 in.
-04 AN is equal to 1/4 in.
-05 AN is equal to 5/16 in.
-06 AN is equal to 3/8 in.
-08 AN is equal to 1/2 in.
-10 AN is equal to 5/8 in.
-12 AN is equal to 3/4 in.
-14 AN is equal to 7/8 in.
-16 AN is equal to 1 in.
-20 AN is equal to 1 1/4 in.
-24 AN is equal to 1 1/2 in.
-32 AN is equal to 2 in.

The most commonly used fittings are adapters. These adapters connect an AN fitting to a pipe thread fitting. Most fuel pumps, regulators, and canister type fuel filters, come with pipe thread inlet/outlet ports. In order to use braided line, the ports need to be changed to a AN type of fitting. This is when a "pipe to AN adapter" is needed."

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Contrary to your opinions, I never had one problem with oil. It worked fine.

1/4" in the heads and -6AN lines
fleet your running and olds motor?? with youbeing so quiet in the olds discussions i figured you were runnin one of those dime a dozen motors ;)

I just got off the phone with tim (timinator) and he gave me LOADS of information on the olds 455. Now ive just gotta find the correct issue of hotboat and ill be on my way to spankin all you bowties on the water ;)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
My first boat had an Olds. Once I learned to keep it under 5K, I never had a problem. I am running a BBC in the TX-19.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My first boat had an Olds. Once I learned to keep it under 5K, I never had a problem. I am running a BBC in the TX-19.

Thats gonna be the hard part.... Keepin my foot out of it!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got ahold of tim over at tuf enuf.. WOW that guy is FULL of information on the olds. I was on the phone for damn near 35-40 minutes and i still wasnt done picking his brain. I got the june 06 hotboat mag thanks to Sharpy THANKS BROTHA!!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Get one of those dime a dozen motors...and you wouldn't have to think about it. :D
I think ill be ok... Ive got some pretty extensive oil modifications done to the 455. Alot more than the normal. It cost $500 but its been done ;)

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
I ran my first jet boat from 1976 to 1987 with a 455 Olds without doing anything to it except changed the oil and tuned it up. Everything on it was stock except the intake/carb and distributor....even the oil pan was a 5 qt pan.
When I sold it, the buyer wanted me to pull the valve covers to check it out, it looked brand new without any hint of water or rust.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
I think ill be ok... Ive got some pretty extensive oil modifications done to the 455. Alot more than the normal. It cost $500 but its been done ;)
I didn't do the external returns, but I did drill out the top, smoothed out the step and the bottom of the heads and the block. I always ran Valvoline VR-1 straight 50 and never had an oil problem after that.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my block has been entirley race prepped. All returns have been enlarged and polished. Now that i have an article outa hotboat i realize i can go a bit larger on the returns on the heads, and totally C notch the returns on the deck, and hog out a whole hell of alota meat on the rear main cap.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
olds motor

Thought you folks might appreciate this , This customer brought this boat in with a complaint of runs rough,smokes and blows oil, The Engine was rebuilt and replaced by a Olds "guru" last season ,has only a few hours on it ,11 to 1 ,thru hull ,edlebrock carb ,who knows what cam,and thru hull exaust running "pump gas' (price tag 6K) Tom
(check out the pan and oil drain backs and the erroded/detonated pistons)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thought you folks might appreciate this , This customer brought this boat in with a complaint of runs rough,smokes and blows oil, The Engine was rebuilt and replaced by a Olds "guru" last season ,has only a few hours on it ,11 to 1 ,thru hull ,edlebrock carb ,who knows what cam,and thru hull exaust running "pump gas' (price tag 6K) Tom
(check out the pan and oil drain backs and the erroded/detonated pistons)

WHAT THE!!! wow 6k... either he is bullshitting you and built at home, or someone needs to shut down shop. WOW!!! 11:1 on pump gas?

Tell him ill take the heads ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts