Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi . I adressed the olds from pumpin the oil out the breathers... now I have it pumpin out the oil fill tube in front at 4800- 5000k. If I could just get it to stop id be ok! how do I get it to stop. Im thinkin there was a baffle that was supposed to be in the intake to slow it down and it probably missin or somethin. This thing is like a fnnn geyser. id like to cap it off or somethin. any suggestions besides replace with a chevy.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes installed pcv valve in valve cover and that stopped all oil comin out breathers in valve covers or dipstick tube. now it comes out oil fill tube up front. I think cork gasket on cap is toast or somethin.?
Casey

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Something is still causing a major pressure build-up in the engine block. How good is the ring seal?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Seems like it is still a pressure problem. Never had that one with my Olds. PCV valve cured my problems. Doesn't seem right for the oil to get that high!! Try a gasket.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You mite not have the correct PCV. You can seal the filler tube. Run a leak down test !!! That will tell you if your getting blow by on the rings. Water in oil ??? Mite be a blown head gasket also. I have has the same problems in the past, just need to do some home work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
motor has maybe 4 hrs on it at tops. not blown headgasket. no water in the oil.

i found this on ebay oil baffle so oil does not pump out oil fill tube. Im bettin you had that and i dont! previous idiot of my boat prob eliminated it thinkin boat would be faster with less weight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=025&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=380016939333&rd=1

Casey
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=025&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=380016939333&rd=1http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=025&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=380016939333&rd=1

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is like gettin splashed or spatterd that high and seeps past the gasket and from the wind of my mindblowin speeds blows all over the intake. causing a fnnnn mess! otherwise runs great.

hiow would I seal it? make a new gasket and rtv that sucker on permantly!

·
688 Posts
it's likely you don't have the baffle. I found mine after rebuilding the engine and figured it was no big deal...wrong. had to pull the timing chain cover and put in the baffle. end of story:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
eliminator cruiser. is the only way to install the baffle from takin off the timing plate. not takin off the intake. intake would be easy timing cover not so easy.let me know.
Casey

Thanks for all the input here guys

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
eliminator cruiser. is the only way to install the baffle from takin off the timing plate. not takin off the intake. intake would be easy timing cover not so easy.let me know.
Casey

Thanks for all the input here guys
The ONLY way to install that baffle is to remove the timing cover. It slips into a pocket in the block directly below the fill pipe, next to the cam gear.

Another option is to remove the fill pipe and install a freeze plug in the block. I did this with my Olds and ran it that way for 20 years. Only downside was that it took a long time to refill crankcase when changing the oil. Takes quite a while for the oil to drain from valve cover area back into block.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is the leak down test somethin I can do myself?

I also dont remember and type of part blockin the oil fill tube in the Timing plate area.for me its probably both the baffle missin and the Blow by from new rings not seating yet....hence the geyser.

If I could get that tube out id do the freeze plug dealio!

Oldsquirt: How I get the whole tube out. I had tried before and couldnt budge itdidnt want to destroy it so I left it.

thnks

·
688 Posts
I always listen to oldsquirt. I took off the cover and yeah it's a job but it is the best way . I would always worry about the freez plug getting loose and coming in contact with the timing chain. sorry

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
You shouldn't have that much pressure in your oil pan with a fresh motor. Something isn't right.

You can get a cheap leak down tester form Harbor Freight ... it screws into your spark plug hole & you hook it to your compressor ... supply 90 psi and see if yourcylinder holds pressure. It should be at or less than 10% or so leakage. ( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94190 )

Sounds to me like your rings never seated, allowing cylinder pressure past them into your pan. and looking for the path of least resistance to get out. First your breathers, now your dip stick tube.

I hope I'm wrong, but it sure does sound that way to me. How loose did you have the motor set up, do you know your ring gap? Were they lined up right (180 from each other)?

Finding a "gasket" or "plug" will only band aid the problem, and cause you to blow other gaskets, etc. It's better to find out the real problem now before the season starts.

Good Luck.

Brian

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Kc,
I had the same problem on an Olds. I had an electric fuel pump and the last time I had it a part I noticed that there is an oil slinger to lubricate the fuel pump arm directly under the oil filler. So the faster you run the motor the higher up the tube oil will be slung. I don't remember fixing the problem, but I finaly knew what was causing it. If there is a baffle missing that would be the first place to start, or possibly put some kind of screen in the bottom of the filler. It has been quite a few years since I had the Olds so the details are a little foggy. Good luck fixing the problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok thanks guys. ill get the leak down tester I guess.

Busby: I had a shop build my motor bottom end. I know we set it up for a boat... looser then a car and I would asume they put the rings on correctly.What we lookin at if the leak down test is bad?

I also have electric pump and have oil slinger on the Timing Gear. Can I take it off?
Kc

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
is the leak down test somethin I can do myself?

I also dont remember and type of part blockin the oil fill tube in the Timing plate area.for me its probably both the baffle missin and the Blow by from new rings not seating yet....hence the geyser.

If I could get that tube out id do the freeze plug dealio!

Oldsquirt: How I get the whole tube out. I had tried before and couldnt budge itdidnt want to destroy it so I left it.

thnks
As others have already mentioned, if the rings aren't "seated" after 4 hours of run time, something is wrong and further running isn't going to fix it. The leak down will pinpoint which cylinder(s) have a problem.

I only removed the fill tube because I didn't like the way it looked. :) I seem to recall the use of heat and a little brute force. It was done while the engine was being prepped for rebuild when I first bought the boat.

I'll see if i can find a pic of the front of an Olds block to point out where the baffle fits.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yo Kc,

After talkin to andy miller at olds performance products and timinator from tuf enuf marine there are 2 things that can cause the pressure build up. 1 The oil return system as we all know is very shotty, without the proper oil return modifications it will return very slowly and not very efficiently. Most of your pcv gasses will run up into the valve covers and escaspe through the breathers. By having the valve covers fillup with oil due to sustained high RPM and not allowing the oil have a place to go is going to cause extra pressure and the oil is going to want out. Another contributing factor is the oil level of the pan. Just because youve got a 10 qt pan doesnt mean 10qt.s should be put into the pan. To much oil in the pan gives less room for the gasses to expand and it starts to find its way out, and with that extra pressure in the pan again the oil wont drain back freely. On a dry motor with new filter run no more than 7 quarts of oil. I hope i made some sort of sense, it makes sense to me.

My recomendadtions would be drain oil and start with 7 and see what happens. Another thing get rid of the filler tube throw a 1" freezeplug in that bitch fill through the covers!!! ;)

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
KC,
Don't you live in the Sac area? If so, contact Fleetimus to see if he can help you out with the leak down. He's up in Colfax, has a compressor and probably the tester....he's even a decent guy :p

Good Luck with it! I'm with Busby hoping it's not the rings!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts