Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a charger and a power supply the same thing?I have a Honda EU1000I generator that I want to use in my boat to keep my 3 Optima battery system 1 house and two for stereo charged.I have a Kicker 1000 and a Kicker 650 running 3 sets of 6.5 comp. and two L7 subs,the batterys and stereo is all new but it only last about 3 to 4 hour.So what I want is something that can charge or supply power using the generator during the day but then be able to plug in at home at night and fully charge the batterys for the next day of use? I also dont know if I need a 2 or three bank...2 if I charge each stereo battery or three and charge the house battery too?I have done some reading and with the EU1000I I can only get a charger with 55amp max? Anyone with a setup like this that can help please let me know dont want to spend money twice or blow something up.Regards, Frank

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I run one of these chargers

http://www.pmariner.com/productFeature.php?ProductNum=41220

Even though you only have two banks...you need the three bank charger for the three sets of leads that come off it. The charger is smart enough to recognize that two batteries are connected in parrallel and will adjust. I don't run a generator...haven't had to yet but I run one house and three stereo batt's. Just plug it in at night. The charger will also maintain the batteries during storage when plugged in.

I've been running it for aalmost 3 years now with no problems.

Hope that helps,

Chris

·
The Insurance Guy
1,920 Posts
I run one of these chargers

http://www.pmariner.com/productFeature.php?ProductNum=41220

Even though you only have two banks...you need the three bank charger for the three sets of leads that come off it. The charger is smart enough to recognize that two batteries are connected in parrallel and will adjust. I don't run a generator...haven't had to yet but I run one house and three stereo batt's. Just plug it in at night. The charger will also maintain the batteries during storage when plugged in.

I've been running it for aalmost 3 years now with no problems.

Hope that helps,

Chris
If I'm only running 3 batteries, 2 in parallel and one by itself, can I get away with just the 2 bank charger? I.e. the pro sport 8 instead of 20?

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
If I'm only running 3 batteries, 2 in parallel and one by itself, can I get away with just the 2 bank charger? I.e. the pro sport 8 instead of 20?
You might be able to but the Pro Sport eight is only going to give you a max of 8 amps to any one bank so that's only 4 amps to the two in parrallel...I have found the key to a long battery life and battery charger life has been good solid charging. The Pro Sport 20 can give 20 amps to any one battery or distribute it among your three. The Pro Sport 8 would be working pretty hard to up 3 batteries.

In my opinion the Pro Sport 20 is really the starting point for a good on board charger maintainer and worth the extra money considering the costs of good batteries.

Chris

·
The Insurance Guy
1,920 Posts
You might be able to but the Pro Sport eight is only going to give you a max of 8 amps to any one bank so that's only 4 amps to the two in parrallel...I have found the key to a long battery life and battery charger life has been good solid charging. The Pro Sport 20 can give 20 amps to any one battery or distribute it among your three. The Pro Sport 8 would be working pretty hard to up 3 batteries.

In my opinion the Pro Sport 20 is really the starting point for a good on board charger maintainer and worth the extra money considering the costs of good batteries.

Chris
hmm...good point. I have cheap batteries now but at some point they will wear out and I will upgrade. gonna have to think on this one

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
hmm...good point. I have cheap batteries now but at some point they will wear out and I will upgrade. gonna have to think on this one
Overton's has the 8 for $99 and the 20 for $189......That's less than one battery difference:D

I run the 8 on my motorhome to keep the motor batteries charged and it works hard just keeping 2 batteries charged, it's get's pretty warm. I wish I hadn't cheaped out on it and just bought the larger one.

Chris

·
The Insurance Guy
1,920 Posts
Overton's has the 8 for $99 and the 20 for $189......That's less than one battery difference:D

I run the 8 on my motorhome to keep the motor batteries charged and it works hard just keeping 2 batteries charged, it's get's pretty warm. I wish I hadn't cheaped out on it and just bought the larger one.

Chris
Isn't there an in between option...like a 12 I think?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My friend has a Guest ProCharger 2631a it is a 30amp 3 bank in his Hallett for two years now and he said he has had no problem with it and he also runs a Honda 1000,I like that it is 10amp per battery so I think I might get it does anyone know a place that sells them for a good deal?Frank

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Isn't there an in between option...like a 12 I think?
I think it's a 15.

We ran the stereo pretty hard last weekend for probably 6 hours and the batt's held up. 3 deep cycle marine batt's, plugged the boat in overnight and they where ready to go again the next morning.

A lot has to do with the type of amp you are running....I run 4 Alpine PDX amps which are digital amps and use less energy. The older style amps can draw a lot more juice and kill batteries faster. I still think the Pro 20 is a minimum for an on board charger. If you're going to run an onboard geny then get the largest charger you can....30 amp would work really well.

Just my $.02,

Chris

·
The Insurance Guy
1,920 Posts
I think it's a 15.

We ran the stereo pretty hard last weekend for probably 6 hours and the batt's held up. 3 deep cycle marine batt's, plugged the boat in overnight and they where ready to go again the next morning.

A lot has to do with the type of amp you are running....I run 4 Alpine PDX amps which are digital amps and use less energy. The older style amps can draw a lot more juice and kill batteries faster. I still think the Pro 20 is a minimum for an on board charger. If you're going to run an onboard geny then get the largest charger you can....30 amp would work really well.

Just my $.02,

Chris
Took your advice and got the prosport 20. Came in the mail yesterday, will be hooking it up tonight!

·
JryLineman
164 Posts
My friend has a Guest ProCharger 2631a it is a 30amp 3 bank in his Hallett for two years now and he said he has had no problem with it and he also runs a Honda 1000,I like that it is 10amp per battery so I think I might get it does anyone know a place that sells them for a good deal?Frank

Almost bought the same one but went with a Pro charging System,two bank, 30 amp. They are suppose to fully charge my Odysseys in about an hour.
Was an option for the boat, but blew it off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.