Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
With some of those better chargers you can because they can sense how much voltage/amps in the battery and make a better decision and just top off the battery as needed. For instance my charger starts at 20A when the battery is dead, then decreases the charge rate to 10A, 5A, 3A, 1A, then complete.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With some of those better chargers you can because they can sense how much voltage/amps in the battery and make a better decision and just top off the battery as needed. For instance my charger starts at 20A when the battery is dead, then decreases the charge rate to 10A, 5A, 3A, 1A, then complete.
Do you leave the Xantrex plugged in?

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
No because I don't have a stereo or any need for it. Also with my boat being inside my storage unit, it would be a huge PITA to leave it plugged in and a tripping hazard. The only real reason I have the charger in the first place was my last boat had 4 optimas in the boat for the stereo that wasn't hooked to the alternator. My stereo now is 4 speakers and a radio, very basic. I do however call my storage unit and tell them to plug it in a day or two before I pick my boat up. If I kept the boat at my house I would have no problem leaving my boat plugged in.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a Xantrex 40 on two of my boats. It has two outputs that combine for 40 amps total. One boat has a killer stereo and the other is a cruiser with house batteries, so I need a high current charger.

It is fully automatic, has adjustable ambient temperature compensation, and has adjustable custom voltage and current algorithm charge programs for lead acid, AGM, or gel cell batteries. The charge tapers off from maximum to about 1 amp, with the amount of time depending on the discharge condition of the battery.

The charger equalizes the batteries monthly with a higher charge rate and is pretty much trouble free. The cruiser is plugged into shore power at the marina, and the other boat is on a lift next to it, so an extension cord is used.

I also have remote monitor panels mounted in the boat cockpit area that connect to a jack in the charger, and they let me know the voltage of each battery to .2 volts.

They are about $360 new, but you can get factory remans on eBay for less than $150. I have had one of them for 4 years, the other for 2. No battery issues at all in that time.

·
New here
4,028 Posts
I have the ProMariner-12. 6amps per side. Full isolation. Anti-sulphation maintenance mode. SMARTCharging system puts the majority of the 12amps to whichever bank is discharged the most, then evens-out for final charge.
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP63528907.htm

I have a waterproof pass-though for the plug, so I can even have the boat covered and plug it in from the ground.

On-board charger, whichever brand you go with, is the ONLY way to go. Battery(ies) last longer (no sulphation from sitting) AND you can leave the battery switch ON all the time. No lost pre-sets in the stereo, etc. Just unplug and ready to go!

·
New here
4,028 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Do they have a safety shut off (fuse) for the "what if"? Id be leaving it plugged in at the river all year long. Kinda worries me.
Any brand you get will be fully protected. Heat, voltage, etc.

Mine has been on the boat for 3 years. No worries.

Distributed-On-Demand™ Technology

Automatically senses and distributes 100% of available charging amps to any one bank or combination of all banks

Automatic Multi-Stage Charging
Charges and conditions batteries with a built in safe maintenance mode for long and short term storage

Extruded Aluminum Housing
For superior heat transfer and durability

Waterproof and Shock Resistant
Saltwater tested for coastal sportfishing and boating

Lead Acid / Gel Battery Selectable
One time user selector provides optimum charge for either battery type

Dynamic Thermal Output Control
Provides appropriate charging amps to your batteries while maintaining recommended charger temperature

Built-in Protection
Reverse Polarity, Ignition & temperature protection

LED Power and Charge Indicators
At-a-glance power and charging status

Pre-wired for Easy Installation

2 Year Warranty

·
The Insurance Guy
1,920 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.