Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I boat the wake boats run circles all day long so the water can get rough. This weekend I was out just puttin around with the new engine at low to medium RPMs. I saw a Ocean Liner headed towards me so I picked up a few "R"s. When I hit the 1st roller all was good but as soon as I hit the 2nd roller the engine cut out. I took a purdy good jolt.This has happened before when hitting rollers.
Why would the engine just turn off. Could it be the MSD Box taking a jolt? The fuel splashing the plugs? Dam its freaking scary to loose power in the channel here at the Sag. Freaking boats hauling ass coming withing 15 feet. Scary shit. I finally started after I sat there floundering for a while.

Any others have this happen to them and did you find a cure???

I have 2 Holley 850 DP on top of a 6 71 blower bolted to a 502 block Chevy bored to 515. With MSD 6al and a MSD Dizzy I'm running a bit rich but with the blower the top end leans it out a bit. I watch the Pyro like a hawk.

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
I have had this happen to me. I would just be running along and then she died lost all power Turned out to be a loose connection under the dash topped off by lose cable on the battery.

·
Razor Wire Militia
741 Posts
I had the same problem and traced it for over a year and spent over $1000 only to recently find it was the ignition switch. it was good until it got a good jolt. just something else to try..

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
X 2 on the ignition switch, had the same deal happen to me...had to hold the back of the switch to keep it lit, while riding 3 foot rollers, for ten miles up the ole Mississippi river.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cant hurt to replace. On my list to get this Saturday.

·
Some guy
3,669 Posts
Where I boat the wake boats run circles all day long so the water can get rough. This weekend I was out just puttin around with the new engine at low to medium RPMs. I saw a Ocean Liner headed towards me so I picked up a few "R"s. When I hit the 1st roller all was good but as soon as I hit the 2nd roller the engine cut out. I took a purdy good jolt.This has happened before when hitting rollers.
Why would the engine just turn off. Could it be the MSD Box taking a jolt? The fuel splashing the plugs? Dam its freaking scary to loose power in the channel here at the Sag. Freaking boats hauling ass coming withing 15 feet. Scary shit. I finally started after I sat there floundering for a while.

Any others have this happen to them and did you find a cure???

I have 2 Holley 850 DP on top of a 6 71 blower bolted to a 502 block Chevy bored to 515. With MSD 6al and a MSD Dizzy I'm running a bit rich but with the blower the top end leans it out a bit. I watch the Pyro like a hawk.
It's almost certainly electric, trace all of your power connections,, battery to starter to terminal strip if there is one,, to ignition switch, to MSD box and coil, and check all ground connections also. I suggest pulling all of them, checking to make sure terminals are not corroded, clean as necessary. The ignition switch is possible also, and perhaps even likely if fooling with the switch is what ultimately gets the engine to turn over again, or does it turn over and not start?

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can crank the engine over after it shuts down. Its tough to get the engine to start after the wake jolt. But it will start if I let it sit for a few minutes.

My Timing is locked out at 30-31° So its always kinda tough to start. Just tougher than normal after it shuts down after a tough jolt to the hull. In this case a huge wake.

I'll Check the contact points on all connections too.

It doesn't happen all the time Just the last few times I hit a wake wrong or a biggun. Kinda scary here cause some of the new size boats out there are hi speed ships.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
If your boat has a master circuit breaker, check the connections on the back of it. You may have a loose one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts