Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Box Pimp
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope it was nobody from here.

http://pe.robocaster.com/download.m...ories/PE_News_Local_S_webcrash11.1013828.html

08:08 AM PDT on Friday, September 11, 2009

One person died and another was seriously injured last night during a two-vehicle collision deep in the Mojave Desert between the tiny towns of Desert Center and Vidal Junction, according to San Bernardino County Fire Department dispatchers.
The wreck was reported at 11:23 p.m. Thursday along Highway 62, about a mile east of the Iron Mountain Pumping Station along the Colorado River Aqueduct, said Dispatch Supervisor Tim Franke.
The deceased person had to be cut from the wreckage. San Bernardino County coroner's officials have released no information on that person's identity.

·
Registered
884 Posts
People drive too fast and pass in the no passing zones.

Driving fast is OK (everyone speeds), but know when to pass and when to just slow down.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Over at RDP's, BamBam (Mike) a firefighter from Torrance was on his way to Parker and came upon this accident. He stopped and tried but driver was already dead. So sad. RIP.
Carl

·
Box Pimp
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why is that route so dangerous?
People drive too fast and pass in the no passing zones.

Driving fast is OK (everyone speeds), but know when to pass and when to just slow down.
I see it all the time. I pass on that road but I'll wait until I know it's clear.

I see people pass at the wrong time ahead of me and I'll slow down and look for an escape route for when they impact. It could be a blind corner or one of those dips and people will pass. Total crap shoot.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The road isn't dangerous, its the fools that drive on it. We came home from BR on Tuesday afternoon...and saw about 7 instances of 2 cars in a row passing me....the second guy in line has no idea what's coming down the road toward him. One was a close call, the others got lucky.

Pass one at a time and when you see people passing you 2 or more in a row....hit the brakes so you can watch the carnage from a distance.

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts
1/2 mile east of Iron Mntn is straight but has plenty of dips and rises.
Condolences to the deceased. :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
Another reason is some people get a mile from desert center and start popping beers open on the two laner, just look at the side of the road next time you go through all the cans and bottles

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
Ehrenberg rd.
A few more minutes, but your family is a bit safer statistically I'd wager.

·
Here for the laughs!
125 Posts
All i gotta say is Crusie Control at a safe speed the lake aint going anywhere... 10 to 20 mph wont really make a huge difference... especially when u think of what can go wrong by passing in total blind spots...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Another reason is some people get a mile from desert center and start popping beers open on the two laner, just look at the side of the road next time you go through all the cans and bottles
X2 Lost my leg in a wreck on this road in 79 because of this, I love this road but have been in and seen to many wrecks so we take the other way.

·
Islander Transient
1,881 Posts
I pass on that road but I'll wait until I know it's clear.
And you pass on Lake Havasu :D. Sunday on the way back from Steamboat, you were on my starboard, we hit some traffic, you swung to my port between me and Outdrive1. I thought I recognized your boat :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
The FF that pulled up on the accident posted this on RDP:
The flipped truck was westbound. white ford f150 crewcab.

·
Box Pimp
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And you pass on Lake Havasu :D. Sunday on the way back from Steamboat, you were on my starboard, we hit some traffic, you swung to my port between me and Outdrive1. I thought I recognized your boat :D

We saw you too. :p What's with the European drivers coming at us? :|err

Steve and Denise were with us. They said there's Chip! :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts