Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Need to change your name to waaaaaaaaaaaaaaapow!

I have all said, when the oil pressure goes south, Carrillos rods and Bryant cranks only last about 1 second long than a stock rod on a stock crank.

I sure hope that is a Chinese copy of an Oliver on that crank. I guessing a ProComp Oliver copy. They stop making those, possibly due to cost to produce, or Oliver jumped on their asses. Now they copy the Crower.

If its a real Oliver, we need to talk.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
Brian, care to share what the initial failure was? Given the looks of the crank, I'm thinking oil pump/pickup/drive?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Someone say Oldsmobile ? ? ?

Nicely Done .... but hey the main looks good ..... you might want to try and burn the mains on the next one so it'll look even .... ;)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Need to change your name to waaaaaaaaaaaaaaapow!

I have all said, when the oil pressure goes south, Carrillos rods and Bryant cranks only last about 1 second long than a stock rod on a stock crank.

I sure hope that is a Chinese copy of an Oliver on that crank. I guessing a ProComp Oliver copy. They stop making those, possibly due to cost to produce, or Oliver jumped on their asses. Now they copy the Crower.

If its a real Oliver, we need to talk.
Sorry to say it was a real Oliver that I bought new.

It was NOT the rods fault , I'm sure we all agree !

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian, care to share what the initial failure was? Given the looks of the crank, I'm thinking oil pump/pickup/drive?
Hi Doc, well, there wasn't anything wrong with the dry sump pump, although it had some little pieces of ground up metal in it upon inspection.
The magnets in the pan were about 5 times the original size.

This was prior to the data logger working with the mag noise problem, but , on this run was the fix for that !!!!

Do we think that 1430 degrees in the pipes have anything to do with the outcome of the holes in the pan ?????????

After this session, we did open up the rod clearances another .001, but the short block of now, is the exact same as it was at this point.
( only difference is the larger rod clearance)

GN7 , what is your thoughts on two things:

Rod and mains for clearance ?

Water and oil temps ?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Sorry to say it was a real Oliver that I bought new.

It was NOT the rods fault , I'm sure we all agree !
No, it was not the rods's fault. But what are you going to do for the next engine? As set of Carrillos on a cast crank? Or a Sonny Bryant with a set of Eagle SIR thru bolt SIR rods in a 2 bolt block?.
Have you ever run those bad ass Ti rockers you guys whip up on a set of breathed on iron GM oval ports? Ever matched a Hi Helix 14-71 to a set of Edelbrock carbs, or better yet, just one?

The next time you have a set of Olivers (new) that you are thinking of hooking to a stock GM truck crank, call me. I'll send you a set of Scats. The crank will come out in pieces before the rods let you down. You'll tear the nose off the crank before the rods come apart. The crank will flex enough to tear out the main caps before the rods fail. So, please, let me break them instead. :wink2:

Brain, don't feel badly though. We did exactly the same thing with almost exactly the same results at Bako in 2003. But it was an stock crank and a set of RPM rods at 350 a set.

What do I think? You lost oil pressure big time. Ours was a crack in the pickup. Another time the pickup box broke off. Now, when the engine loses oil pressure, the driver goes blind and can't see for 2 hours. lazer to the retina! That ain't temp or clearances.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
293 Posts
Sorry Doc, don't get your panties in a bunch. Some people try to run a dry sump oil system in a bbc block without proper internal plumbing such as lower end spray rails and such. Rod pins don't get enough oil without . That's all. No smack talking here.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sorry Doc, don't get your panties in a bunch. Some people try to run a dry sump oil system in a bbc block without proper internal plumbing such as lower end spray rails and such. Rod pins don't get enough oil without . That's all. No smack talking here.
Have you ever run a dry sump or have worked on one in your life??? Just asking.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
How would you internally plumb when using a dry sump system? Please elaborate.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
OK geterdone, this is the SECOND shot I have given you to explain yourself. The first one was the dumbass comment about 427 VS 454 which I will hold back one reposting for the tenth time.

How exactly does a lack of spray hurt the oiling to a rod pin. And exactly how do you go about installing "spray bars" in a BBC. Do you have a pic of such an installation you have performed?

You have a real bad habit of chiming in on subjects with rediculous posts and never explain yourself. Its gettig old tiresome.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
gn, you should lighten up a little. back in the good 'ol ford y-block days, it was common to run spray nozzles into the valve covers. just a simple mistake; anybody could confuse connecting rods with rocker arms... i'm sure it's happened to you millions of times...:)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts