Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sister's family looking at their first boat after riding with me for years in my Lavey and Malibu. They're looking hard at a Chapparal. They do recreational wakeboarding and skiing, and want a decent all around boat.

Went with them today for a test ride. I thought it was ok, but thing seemed to cavitate when I threw the drive up and slowed down to create a wakeboard wake. I'm used to higher end boats, but this one seems like a good first time boat.

Any thoughts on the boat? Are those dual screws a problem or mx nightmare? Trailer is a one size fits all and actually too long by at least a foot or two.

Thanks.

· Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a production boat, they are pretty good. Good hardware and thru bolted everywhere. If you want to make a wake for boarding, tuck the drive down on these boats, big wake and good prop bite.
Terry
Good info, thanks. I was lifting the drive, thinking I was sinking the stern (slower speed)to make a bigger wake. Have to try drive down next time.

· "On the road again..."
9,162 Posts
I've had a Chaparral for 3-4 years and it's a well built production boat.

Drive down is the way for more wake as stated. Comfortable with lots of cabin room. Bought mine in Atlanta and went to the factory in south GA. Very modern and professional. In my opinion best boat in the class as far as all round amenities in comparison to price.

The trailer isn't from the factory and is being purchased by the dealer. I speciifed what I wanted and my trailer was built for the boat.

Note to redneckcharlie- I looked at the Chaparral next to the Cobalt and couldn' justify the price difference, about 20%. Quaoity and finish were right there. The dealers were literally across the street from each other. Same deal with Searay. We were looking for a specific comfortable economic running boat as the wife was tired of cramped cockpit and bitched to much about just cruising fast, so you you know how if "Mama ain't happy, nobody is happy....." 60 mph and she has a sink, table, open bow sundeck. Whaddaya gonna do??????

· Islander Trailer Trash#23
1,482 Posts
Chaparral's are nice boats. I looked at them before I purchased my first boat. I also like the Cobalts, though a little pricey at the time. I would look for good deals on used ones right now.

· Lavey Me Alone
1,404 Posts
I seriously considered a Chapparal before we decided to build the Lavey. I still think they are very nice, user friendly boats.

Maybe when I'm old I'll get one! :)sphss

RTJas :D

· Registered
2,225 Posts
We bought a year old Chaparral when our Laveycraft deal went south just to have something for the rest of the summer. That was 05 and we still have it.

It's been a good production boat, Cobalts are nicer, way heavier and a lot more $$. Coming from custom boats I couldn’t get used to the Gel being on the delicate side (and beige) but nothing a little care and a keel guard didn’t solve. The only problem has been running the gas out at the end of summer as it takes about 2 days, that and of course no respect at the river. :D

If you have someone that can get you into the Fontana Manheim auction once a month they have been auctioning off a lot of nice boats lately and the last auction had about 8 or so Chaparrals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.