Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the low down on this boat..I really like the looks just dont know much about the hull any info would be great..

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
never have heard any drama about the guys over at Lavey Craft. Those that have them have allways seemed to be happy with them. They have some talent in the spray booth for sure! pretty boats....

How about the baby blue flamed 27 Ultra / 800efi forsale right now.....WHAT A DEAL!

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,870 Posts
never have heard any drama about the guys over at Lavey Craft. Those that have them have allways seemed to be happy with them. They have some talent in the spray booth for sure! pretty boats....

How about the baby blue flamed 27 Ultra / 800efi forsale right now.....WHAT A DEAL!
Blue flame has a 900, but how about mine with the 800 good deal as well:D

I have not heard anything bad on the Sabre or Lavey either. IMO the Sabre isa bit boxey looking to me, but still a nice boat.

Mike

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
I am on my second Lavey boat now which is a 28 Prowler with Teague 800. I also had a 29 Nuera with Eickert 850. Both boats are rock solid build with not rattles or flex at all. The fit and finish is top of the line. The Sabre was originally designed for twin outboards which is why there is a small swim step on the back. They can add a water line billet step also. I have seen them closed deck or cuddy or even walk through open bow. Everything that I have read on the Sabre has been positive. I do not think it is the fastest 27 cat out there but it is one of the best built and gelcoated boats out there and the resale value will always be good. Can't go wrong with a company that has been building boats for over 50 years.

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts

I have not heard anything bad on the Sabre or Lavey either. IMO the Sabre isa bit boxey looking to me, but still a nice boat.

Mike

Both of these Ultra boats are very nice also and offered for good price. I wonder what the insurance on those rockets is though?

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,870 Posts
Both of these Ultra boats are very nice also and offered for good price. I wonder what the insurance on those rockets is though?
Thanks for the compliment. My insurance is not bad at all. I was grandfathered in with Allstate since this is my fifth boat with them and I have never cancelled my poicies. I have always left them open and just rolled over with all the details on each new boat. I do not think Allstate takes cats anymore (new policies).

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not trying to be the fastest. I am completly happy w/ my Lavey 24 nuera and the quality is great, just looking for a bigger boat with a cat habbits:)devil

·
Just One More
1,092 Posts
I have a 525EFI 2006 closed bow. The swimstep is small, but who hangs out back there at 90:) The boat is solid, I whipped mine this past spring and the power is awesome,I'm just trying to get it dialed in propwise right now. It runs solid at any speed,very safe, tracks great, and loves choppy water like all cats. The cabin is spacious, as I camp quite a bit at Mead, and it beats a tent any day. My only qualm would be that the interior room is a bit cramped, but, I prefer to keep the load in the boat at 4 usually......

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm tired of having 6-10 peeps on the boat all the time w/the open bow. the next boat will most likely be closed bow as I really dont like peeps up there when it gets rough, and crawlin through a cuddy absolutley SUCKS. A friend of mine has a Carrera deck w/ a Whippled 454 and it runs high 80's with 4 people this seems plenty past for me and eats the rough stuff up.. this is how I determined that I wanted a cat but no deck boats too many people can ride damit!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just my two cents, but -- Lavey builds very nice product, especially the 27 Sabre which is one of the models that they vacuum-bag. Very strong, very solid -- outstanding gelcoat work and the installations are always first-class. As for performance, probably not the fastest 27-foot tunnel on the market, but it handles well and gets better as the water roughens up. You might notice a little tendency for porpoise in flat glass water in the 60 to 75 mph range (a lot of cats go through this transition dance at these speeds -- it's hard to avoid). Once you're at 80+ mph, a very nice ride. Definitely don't under-power the boat -- I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 525EFI -- 600+ HP is sweet!

·
Registered
527 Posts
There is a very nice 27 sabre at lavey rite now that is for sale
Although, its a full walk through open bow, i know your thinking of a closed bow

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
theres two that I know of 1 is orange and white in like tennesse or something and one out in ca or ..Problem is laveys new pricing is so competitive right now it doest make sense to go used even with a 525

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
Just my two cents, but -- Lavey builds very nice product, especially the 27 Sabre which is one of the models that they vacuum-bag. Very strong, very solid -- outstanding gelcoat work and the installations are always first-class. As for performance, probably not the fastest 27-foot tunnel on the market, but it handles well and gets better as the water roughens up. You might notice a little tendency for porpoise in flat glass water in the 60 to 75 mph range (a lot of cats go through this transition dance at these speeds -- it's hard to avoid). Once you're at 80+ mph, a very nice ride. Definitely don't under-power the boat -- I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 525EFI -- 600+ HP is sweet!

This is a good accurate statement. My deck has a little porpoise on smooth water in those speed ranges but above 80, you can realy feel the hull lighten up and float on air and the ride gets really smooth. I also agree with the power suggestion. Merc is selling that NXT drive now with the 525 but if you can go bigger motor then do it because the boat can handle it.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts

Mike

DIDN'T see that you were selling yours.... NEW 344 in your future?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts