Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ill try to keep this as short as Possible.......FIRST OFF SOME OF YOU GUYS KNOW TH SITUATION AND LETS NOT MENTION ANY NAMES......PLEASE..
I took the boat to get some work done on it late last March 2010. The vendor agreed to have it ready before Memorial weekend, so Wendsday night I drive 6 hours to pick up the boat and they call me and tell me they need another day ( the night before I called them and was told it would be ready) No biggie I'll hang with some friends in the area. Friday morning I'm walking out the door at 8am to pick up the boat and get a call they need till noon. Off to breakfast I go and then to pick it up.. I get there and this thing is nowhere near being done and its not what I asked for at all but its ok.....(I constantly asked for pics of progress durring the build and never could get much) so I keep my mouth shut not to interupt progress...........so all day running errands for this shop to help get it done( I have a ton of friends at the house waiting for me to go to the lake 6 hrs the other direction) and its finaly done at 1am yes 1am.. So I'm not stocked with what they did but its allright so I pay the guy cash and lots of it 11g's worth... Keep in mind its 1 am and the guys known for great work whats there to worry about.... so a quick once over is all I gave it.. The next day I get home and im in the dog house for accepting the boat( she hates whats been done) ..Whatever no biggie been here before right...
Get to the lake and start noticing issues, I call and let them know "don't worry bout it well fix it"...As the weekend progresses theres tons of issues and its falling apart literally.. fast forward to Sept. I get it back to the shop with 3 pages of issues and then touch on the issue of this is not what we asked for.. They say they will fix it and "I knew it was too much color but it was already done and looked OK"... They offer to redo the job and make it right. We agreed on what needed to be done and made a couple of changes that I agreed to pay for and left the boat. Estimated delivery 3 weeks...ok 3 weeks come and now another 3 weeks is needed. So the boat is done I pick it up and my bill is 3 times the agreed and signed for price.They claim hey needed to do more than they thought to make it match..we barter a couple hundred and I pay the guy. Get the boat home and its not done, not again holy hell what is wrong with me my mistake for not super inspecting it. The guy blows me off when I call so I stoped payment on the check. That got his attention. So a month goes by and i now bring the boat 1/2 way back to his buddys shop for him to repair they fix most of it exept for a couple of parts they need to take... 3 weeks later parts are done and they need to be shipped to me.. (its 300 min each way on diesel every time I go back to him)...they send me a picture to say its done and now he wont ship my stuff till I pay him...... How should I handle this? I dont mind paying for the job that was agreed upon. Im not real thrilled about being charged for the repairs they offered up. I cant justify paying them till the job is done and satisfactory based on past practices not once but 3 times the job has been inc. and sub standard... The 1 year mark is fast approaching ... Ive been the nice guy up untill now... Any Ideas ...I wont name any names untill we see how its handled. Thanks PLEASE REMEMBER IF YOU KNOW THE SITUATION NO NAMES PLEASE!!!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really Duneaholic.... This is what boat ownership is all about. Paying top dollar to a buisness that appears and is said by others to be one of the best and getting a bunch of excuses... I think this is just bad buisness practices

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did I mention that this is a Buisness that posts on this site, advertises on here and alot of us THINK they do good work/ have good buisness practices..:mad:

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
Damn dude, I thought all this was done already. Sounds like you will have to pay him to get the parts back, but depending on how well you have documented everything you may have a fairly open and shut small claims case. Maybe we can get Kap to chime in here....

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Did I mention that this is a Buisness that posts on this site, advertises on here and alot of us THINK they do good work/ have good buisness practices..:mad:
Writing a check and then a stop payment......probably not going to work. They have read this thread already.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont really care who has read this thread and or is following it. I have no intentions on legal actions I just want my seats and once the job is done I will pay them not untill then.. this has been way too long...maybe I should just have someone else build me a couple of cushions....

·
Registered
283 Posts
I dont really care who has read this thread and or is following it. I have no intentions on legal actions I just want my seats and once the job is done I will pay them not untill then.. this has been way too long...maybe I should just have someone else build me a couple of cushions....
This is what I would do and cut my losses now.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I've had three strikes with a company that everyone raves about around here. Completely incompetent employees working on my boat. I kept giving them work and they continued to screw me by not following through or not even doing the work until after I show up to pick the boat up on Saturday morning ready to hit the lake. It was an absolute mistake going to them.

I also had my engine rebuilt by another around here for about 10K when I think it was just the coupler. I can't prove it so I just move on. Karma is a bitch.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I've had three strikes with a company that everyone raves about around here. Completely incompetent employees working on my boat. I kept giving them work and they continued to screw me by not following through or not even doing the work until after I show up to pick the boat up on Saturday morning ready to hit the lake. It was an absolute mistake going to them.

I also had my engine rebuilt by another around here for about 10K when I think it was just the coupler. I can't prove it so I just move on. Karma is a bitch.
Gee , after reading your post , it's not too hard to know the name of the company ...
absolutely ...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Gee , after reading your post , it's not too hard to know the name of the company ...
absolutely ...
Honestly, I hate to talk bad about any person or company. You have no idea how bad my tongue hurts. It only cost me a few grand, a few days, and a almost sunk boat.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Pay them, get your stuff back and chalk it up to experience...... Oh yeah, then come on here and tell us all who it was and how you really feel!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the support peeps Im not looking to put anyone on blast or call them out ....Yet!:|err I feel I have alot invested time money and Fuel and should not be asked to pay for a job that is not complete or approved of based on prior events.. I will pay whats owed when complete !

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Hmmmm. Sounds like another regular day of boat ownership to me.
Pay them, get your stuff back and chalk it up to experience...... Oh yeah, then come on here and tell us all who it was and how you really feel!!
Unfortunately, not really surprised. Had stuff like this happen to me, totally lame to deal with. Now I find very select few people that work on my stuff if any. Most everything I learn how to do myself these day. Even bought machinery to build most my own parts now.

You're not gonna like this, but chalk it up to experience and move on. Or pay them and then take them to small claims court up to $7500. Have everything well documented and written down and you should do well.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
If you don't let everyone know who it is, the next guy will get screwed too. Kind of like not telling the health nurse which chick gave you the clap - bad for everyone, including the chick.

This is why all my work is done by Advantage.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Ryan, I would just pay him and get the seats back. I went to visit Ryans "Interior Guy" because of the pics posted here and Ryan telling him how this guy was going to do all this great work.. so we make the 5hr trip to meet this guy and check out the shop and the work he was doing..Got to say some of the work he did appeared to be good. (mind you i didn't crawl into peoples boats to see it up close) So we talked about what WE wanted and told him our time frame..We got a price idea and told him we would be in touch, On the way home we stopped at Eliminator to see what they wanted for interior upgrades..Well, on the long drive home I told Shannon about a screwing I took from a shop in Havasu,, ( guy had his own boat forum too..No names mentioned) so we thought we would wait it out until Ryans boat was done..Got to say, if you were a Lakers Fan, this was the boat for you..The interior didn;'t turn out the way Amy wanted,
some of the cabin work was not up to par I won't mention the wiring issues with a stereo that use to pound but now had rewiring issues...this has been close to a year now and I've personally watched how the Interior Guy tried to fix things..NOT GOOD.. so a little lesson learned on our part on Ryans pain..Martinez in Corona did my Warlock for me and turned out great..but for the Eliminator I think we will use Carlos...This is not bashing of any advertiser on this site..this was just my opinion/experience...Eddie

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
Damn dude, I thought all this was done already. Sounds like you will have to pay him to get the parts back, but depending on how well you have documented everything you may have a fairly open and shut small claims case. Maybe we can get Kap to chime in here....
Hey Millhouse961:

How are you... hope all is well. See below quoted section in bold.....:D.

Note: I usually stay out of stuff unless the person requests my opinion and help. Plus, I usually bill out for my time unless I want to take up a person's cause....and I have done it from time to time:).

KAP

1 - 20 of 52 Posts