Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
small member
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be selling my truck and saw one of these. Any opions.
I have the 7.3 now love it just want a stock tuck. does the 6.5 compare to the 7.3?
Thanks

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
the 7.3 power stroke was the best diesel built by ford. maybe the best ever. that motor is bullet proof. you can pull some killer power out of that motor with bolt on's you wont be disappointed

·
Nine pieces of Eight
1,377 Posts
the 7.3 power stroke was the best diesel built by ford. maybe the best ever. that motor is bullet proof. you can pull some killer power out of that motor with bolt on's you wont be disappointed

7.3 is Made by Navistar (International). Ford has yet to make their own but the 6.7 Scorpion is coming and thats theirs.

The 6.5 is a stepped up turbo ver. of the 6.2. It's an Alison Diesel...and yes the same as the trans mfg.

Definately a step backwards.

·
small member
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My thing is my truck now has a 14 inch lift 40" tires and i kind of want something stock.
Motor is solid i am just tired of the lift and all the up keep with it.
Thanks

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
7.3 is Made by Navistar (International). Ford has yet to make their own but the 6.7 Scorpion is coming and thats theirs.

The 6.5 is a stepped up turbo ver. of the 6.2. It's an Alison Diesel...and yes the same as the trans mfg.

Definately a step backwards.

this i know.:D ford/navistar same thing in my book for as long as they have been in bed together. then navistar screwed them with the abortions that are the 6 liter and the 6.4 what crap motors. i have the 6 liter and after i separted my heads the 2nd time i studded that thing and have not had a prob since. great motor if you can keep the heads on:)sphss 630 to the ground and just under 1150 in torque according to a dyno:)devil i love my truck. wish i had the 7.3 though:D

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
My thing is my truck now has a 14 inch lift 40" tires and i kind of want something stock.
Motor is solid i am just tired of the lift and all the up keep with it.
Thanks
go to a junk yard and buy stock suspention piece by piece then put your lift on ebay or craigs list. that would be cheaper then buying another truck perhaps?

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
Wrong and wrong... Allison didn't make a diesel, ever. Detroit Diesel had a hand in the development of the 6.2 and 6.5 GM diesels as they were a GM division at the time, and true to GM form, many of the components do interchange. Allison is also a GM division, but had nothing to do with the diesel side.

There is nothing wrong with the 6.5, but don't expect to be the fastest up the hill, loaded or not. HP ratings, at the flywheel never got past the 200 hp mark, and the torque was in the 400 ft. lbs range, again, at the flywheel.

I had a '94 CCLB 4x4 and it was one of the best trucks I ever owned, however, with a load, I got used to pulling hills at 40 mph or so. Sold that truck with 246K miles on it. Got great mileage on the road, like in the 20 mpg range unloaded. Another thing to consider, they also rely on a rotary injection pump, so plan on an additive to make up for the lack of sulphur in the new fuel configurations as the main reason for the sulphur is to increase lubricity and keep the seals in the injection pumps lubricated properly.

Comparing it to the 7.3 powerstroke isn't really a fair contest as Ford had really started putting the screws to the International long block by the time the Powerstroke came into play... more fuel, more boost, much more HP. When the 6.5TD hit the market, it was about a 15 HP improvement over what Dodge had with the Cummins... The 350HP/700 ft. lbs common rail diesels weren't even a dream back then.

then navistar screwed them with the abortions that are the 6 liter and the 6.4 what crap motors.
And wrong, and wrong.... International builds a great engine and has for decades. Ford screwed themselves buying longblocks that were factory rated for the 200 HP range or so, throwing more fuel and boost at them and trying to keep up with the Cummins and Duramax. Lifting heads? Yeah, that's a product of trying to run an engine out of design parameters. Why do you think the lawsuit that Ford had against International was thrown out and Ford is going to try their hand at building their own diesels now?

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
I had a 6.5. The injection pump goes bad at about 100k. They are expensive. They also had problems with the computer for the pump, but you can fix that by moving them. They got too hot. Mine pulled my 32' 5th wheel to Glamis no problem. Was slow up some hills but did ok. My Dmax blows it away.

I did like the sound of the 6.5 tho.

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
If anyone wants an engine for a project there is a guy here in STL that buys crashed frito lay trucks that have detroit 6.5s. He ships the drive lines to australia...

Im looking for a Cumins 4BT for a explorer project, the 6.5 detroit/GM is too big for what I wanna build...

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
6.5's are good reliable deisels, only thing we ever had issues with them was when they used metal roller's in the injection pumps. they'd rust and pit, make the truck start dyin at the worst times, but they developed a ceramic roller pump for it that usually makes it to 150k before needing replaced. they're no powerstroke as far as hp, but the 6.5 will be in the shop less and get better mileage no doubt:)bulb

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
Could it be just me? I belive it's a Isuzu 6.6l & Allison. Trans is where Ford fell short....

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
Could it be just me? I belive it's a Isuzu 6.6l & Allison.
The Duramax is the 6.6 with the Allison. Prior to that, starting in '92 GM offered a 6.5 turbo diesel which wasn't a common rail system and was coupled in most cases to a 4L80E transmission. Before that they had a 6.2 litre that was never factory turbo charged and put out a whopping 130hp or so. Had that to compete against Ford's 6.9 N/A and then the 7.3 which later became the base engine for the Powerstroke. :D

It's just you. ;)

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
The Duramax is the 6.6 with the Allison. Prior to that, starting in '92 GM offered a 6.5 turbo diesel which wasn't a common rail system and was coupled in most cases to a 4L80E transmission. Before that they had a 6.2 litre that was never factory turbo charged and put out a whopping 130hp or so. Had that to compete against Ford's 6.9 N/A and then the 7.3 which later became the base engine for the Powerstroke. :D

It's just you. ;)
i ran 1 of those 6.5 tq convertors in my turbo 400 in a 350 s10 long bed truck and it'd stall perfectly to 4k before even tryin to pull:)devil i'd leave at 5500 pulling the wheels alil, couldn't hurt that convertor! there was several times i had to restage due to some knucklehead in the other lane doin something stupid, and even with the fluid temps realllllllly high, the convertor always stayed consistent.

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts

It's just you. ;)
Your right! They also put that motor combo in the Suburban limited release mosly back east....

I stand corrected!:)hand

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I wasn't going to get in on this but what the heck! if you want a diesel that will last at least 800,000 miles get yourself an 04-06 dodge with the cummins, you can turn them up (very reasonable price wise) to a very street-able and reliable 700hp and still get 20+mpg. the only thing you will have to do is get an aftermarket trans and converter, dodges weak link! it does not matter if you decide to buy a new diesel which one you buy they are all junk once they put the egr and crap on them and the millage went down the toilet! let the bashing begin!

Remember; if V8 diesels were really good don't you think the trucks hauling 80,000# would use them! or the offroad equipment world!

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I wasn't going to get in on this but what the heck! if you want a diesel that will last at least 800,000 miles get yourself an 04-06 dodge with the cummins, you can turn them up (very reasonable price wise) to a very street-able and reliable 700hp and still get 20+mpg. the only thing you will have to do is get an aftermarket trans and converter, dodges weak link! it does not matter if you decide to buy a new diesel which one you buy they are all junk once they put the egr and crap on them and the millage went down the toilet! let the bashing begin!

Remember; if V8 diesels were really good don't you think the trucks hauling 80,000# would use them! or the offroad equipment world![/QUOTE]

that statement is just unamerican and you should have your mancard pulled for sayin it, we love v8's, no matter the fuel:)devil

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
i have owned several 6.5's, i think its fair to say its okay but its more medium duty, you cant really push them or they will break, any of the newer diesels in the big three are an improvement...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts