Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since May of this year, we've been changing out our rolling stock to Optimas.
All the Optimas we buy have built dates damn near the same month (and this year) we buy them.

So May was about 3 months ago, and now we're exchanging many of our DEAD Optimas on warranty,, and our others are starting to weaken too.

All are seeing regular use, none should go dead,, but I 'm coming across bad Optima after bad Optima. They die overnight.

Is it me, or was the Optima a good battery at one time or I'm just kidding myself?

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Always been a EXIDE fan (regardless of who's name is on it) ... :)devil

I think Johnson Controls bought Optima quite a few years ago, I may be wrong on that one...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
There have been several threads and there is an Optima worker on here called OptimaJim I think that may be able to shed some light.

I'm on my 3rd season now of Optima blue tops in the boat and haven't had an issue. A good gel cell is the way to go in watercraft. Especially in the desert heat. I save the money on the vehicles that see regular use as the regular batteries last years with no issues and you can notice when they are starting to go and switch them out before you get stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Since May of this year, we've been changing out our rolling stock to Optimas.
All the Optimas we buy have built dates damn near the same month (and this year) we buy them.

So May was about 3 months ago, and now we're exchanging many of our DEAD Optimas on warranty,, and our others are starting to weaken too.

All are seeing regular use, none should go dead,, but I 'm coming across bad Optima after bad Optima. They die overnight.

Is it me, or was the Optima a good battery at one time or I'm just kidding myself?

·
Daytona John
16 Posts
Since Optima was sold a few years ago, the quality has steadily declined. They are no better than any other battery out there now. I have a friend at a battery store that just changed out both Optima red tops in my truck after less than 1 1/2 years. He said he spends a lot of time replacing nearly new Optimas. The 3 year free replacement was nice but the batteries suck!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have had to replace 6 Optimas in the last 2 years, all less then 2 years old (4 red tops and 2 blue tops) so I'm done buying them. 4 years ago I bought 2 Lifeline batteries for the motorhome and they are still going strong.

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,870 Posts
I am finally replacing my Optima Blue Tops after 4 seasons. I am putting in three new ones this weekend. Hopefully the quality and durability will be good with the new ones.

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
I am not impressed with optimum batteries

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I got 5 full seasons out of the original Optimas that came with Magic's so thats pretty damn good, have they changed, I dont know.
In the desert heat it is said a battery lasts about 2 1/2 years in cars, I have found that to be about right. FWIW. NSF GO BOLTS

PS The prices came way down right after I bought new ones in spring of 09, paid [email protected], later I saw them at SamsClub for [email protected], Maybe thats the reason quality has diminshed, didnt they move to mexico?

·
Registered
404 Posts
we've had our blue top for 6 seasons now and everything is great:)devil:D:)devil:D! I am sad to hear their product has taken a turn for the worst. just wondering, does everyone have theirs hooked up to a battery switch?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Ever since Interstate batteries bought them a few years ago and moved the production to mexico the batteries have been garbage, you may have had good luck with the older ones but the new ones suck. do a search on the web and see what you find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know I'm new here and this is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while. I work at an airport and help out at a car/boat/home audio shop from time to time and I know they can't store the optimas on the floor. It's weird I know, but they have small racks that they set the batteries on to keep them off the floor... Why this is, I have no idea, but I was told that the batteries cannot be stored on the floor. If you keep them on racks or anything, then I have no clue.. Hope this may help your situation

ok back to lurking and trolling I go.

·
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just exchanged 2 Optimas at COSTCO.

The tire guy said they took the reds of the shelf, storing them in the back room are are only using them for warranty replacement, not selling them.

Then the COSTCO credit refund girl said they used to last 5 years, now she's seeing them returned in 4 months or less.

"Optima took some money out of their quality, we rarely used to see them returned."

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know I'm new here and this is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while. I work at an airport and help out at a car/boat/home audio shop from time to time and I know they can't store the optimas on the floor. It's weird I know, but they have small racks that they set the batteries on to keep them off the floor... Why this is, I have no idea, but I was told that the batteries cannot be stored on the floor. If you keep them on racks or anything, then I have no clue.. Hope this may help your situation

ok back to lurking and trolling I go.
I'd like to know what store it is so I can avoid them. They're as technically incompetent as the guy at Best Buy that told me that satellite systems use negative ions and attract lightning, so I really needed surge protectors. Bet that store sells lots of supercapacitors and ultra exotic
speaker cables.

Just google "batteries on concrete". It was true at one time, but those
days are long, long gone.

Now I have always hated Optimas because I tend to neglect and abuse
batteries, especially with deep discharge. Never had good luck with them.
Tried them twice in two trucks, and tried four of them in the boat once.
Once.

Pesky Varmint

·
3,246 Posts
I had a optima red top in my truck that I just got rid of. Lasted 3+ years and still running strong.

I have a optima red top in the cracker box. It has survived 2 flips and all of the abuse from crackerbox.

I have a optima blue top in my schiada. Runs great.

·
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
e mail from Optima:

"Hello Ross,

Optima quality has continued to improve with the advancement in equipment, using only the purest of materials. We strive for precision in every step of the manufacturing process to provide contestant quality and contestant battery life.

Thank you,
Mary Jo
Optima Customer Service "

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd like to know what store it is so I can avoid them. They're as technically incompetent as the guy at Best Buy that told me that satellite systems use negative ions and attract lightning, so I really needed surge protectors. Bet that store sells lots of supercapacitors and ultra exotic
speaker cables.

Just google "batteries on concrete". It was true at one time, but those
days are long, long gone.

Now I have always hated Optimas because I tend to neglect and abuse
batteries, especially with deep discharge. Never had good luck with them.
Tried them twice in two trucks, and tried four of them in the boat once.
Once.

Pesky Varmint
I apologize for being mis-informed. I had also always heard this growing up and aparently now a days things are much much different. But come to think of it, I don't think I have ever really been into any car audio or heck walmart that I've seen batteries on the ground. So a long while back with a little mention of that I have always kept that in the back of my head.. I had a yellow top in my old truck and it lasted a long time and never had a problem.. *shrug*

I'll go back to my n00b corner and just keep lurking from now on

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Going on my 5th season with mine. I disconnect my battery after every use and put it on a trickle charger before taking it out for the day/weekend.

we've had our blue top for 6 seasons now and everything is great:)devil:D:)devil:D! I am sad to hear their product has taken a turn for the worst. just wondering, does everyone have theirs hooked up to a battery switch?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
e mail from Optima:

"Hello Ross,

Optima quality has continued to improve with the advancement in equipment, using only the purest of materials. We strive for precision in every step of the manufacturing process to provide contestant quality and contestant battery life.

Thank you,
Mary Jo
Too funny. Did that come from the corporate database of form letters or what? "Hmm, I think email form #14 should work". :D

Send back one of your own from here: http://www.pakin.org/complaint

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
e mail from Optima:

"Hello Ross,

Thank you,
Mary Jo
Well there's your problem right there. They're "contestant", not consistent.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts