Performance Boats Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Well there's your problem right there. They're "contestant", not consistent.
funny CHIT,, wonder where OPTIMA JIM IS HIDING,

I think he left after I asked what the diff was between a blue marine starting battery and a auto red top........... his answer more expensive,1 year less warranty and studs
on the marine version:|err:)bulb

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello Outlaw (and everyone else),

I apologize for the delay in my response. This is just about our busiest time of the year, as many of the events we sponsor are taking place right now and our planning for SEMA is in full swing. Redding Rate & Ross, I’m sorry to hear about the problems you’ve been having and I’d like to help. Can you tell me a little bit more about your applications, the symptoms surrounding your problems and the voltage of the batteries you brought in for warranty service? 2manymustangs is correct- Johnson Controls (not Interstate Batteries) acquired Optima in 2000 and the quality of our batteries has continually improved under their ownership. We still manufacture all of our own batteries, in our own facility and they are the only batteries made there. We never re-brand or re-spec our batteries for anyone.

I should mention that none of our batteries are “gel” batteries. In most situations, our batteries can be treated and charged just like any other lead-acid battery, but using charger settings for “gel” or “gel/AGM” will not fully-charge an Optima and could damage it over time.

TxStVanwilder, could you please PM me the name of the car/boat/home audio shop that sells our batteries and doesn’t believe they can be stored on the floor, as we’d like to contact them. As Pesky Varmint indicated, all modern batteries can be stored on concrete, although they do best in cool, dry locations.

As Outlaw indicated, our 34M is the marine equivalent of our Group 34 RedTop and does come with additional threaded studs for marine accessories. Although I do not have specific pricing information, as that varies by retailer, BlueTops do come with a two-year free replacement warranty, while RedTops come with a three-year free replacement warranty. If anyone has any questions about our batteries, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,870 Posts

I apologize for the delay in my response. This is just about our busiest time of the year, as many of the events we sponsor are taking place right now and our planning for SEMA is in full swing. Redding Rate & Ross, I’m sorry to hear about the problems you’ve been having and I’d like to help. Can you tell me a little bit more about your applications, the symptoms surrounding your problems and the voltage of the batteries you brought in for warranty service? 2manymustangs is correct- Johnson Controls (not Interstate Batteries) acquired Optima in 2000 and the quality of our batteries has continually improved under their ownership. We still manufacture all of our own batteries, in our own facility and they are the only batteries made there. We never re-brand or re-spec our batteries for anyone.

I should mention that none of our batteries are “gel” batteries. In most situations, our batteries can be treated and charged just like any other lead-acid battery, but using charger settings for “gel” or “gel/AGM” will not fully-charge an Optima and could damage it over time.

TxStVanwilder, could you please PM me the name of the car/boat/home audio shop that sells our batteries and doesn’t believe they can be stored on the floor, as we’d like to contact them. As Pesky Varmint indicated, all modern batteries can be stored on concrete, although they do best in cool, dry locations.

As Outlaw indicated, our 34M is the marine equivalent of our Group 34 RedTop and does come with additional threaded studs for marine accessories. Although I do not have specific pricing information, as that varies by retailer, BlueTops do come with a two-year free replacement warranty, while RedTops come with a three-year free replacement warranty. If anyone has any questions about our batteries, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
I just purchased three new Blue Top D34M batteries. Just curious on this statement in bold. Is your facility in Mexico now? The reason I ask is because the new batteries say Made in Mexico on them.

Mike

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
I am not impressed with optimum batteries
I'm afraid to ask what YOU use them for Lucky... ;)

Jim McIlvaine
Do I get a prize??? A free battery perhaps??? :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've had my blue top since Oct 1999
Its been in the Glencoe, (6 seasons, 3 motors) the bow rider 2 seasons, the jeep, the flatbed trailer (winch duty), the wrecker, the dually, and now the eliminator (BBC).
Several years ago I left the radio on while cleaning the boat, next day leaving for the river it wouldn't start, grabbed charger and charged it in the hotel room. Also lost the balancer pulley once and it started all weekend (468 bbc, 9.6-1)

I'd get another one - never had a battery work that good:D going on 11 years.

Daniel

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)

We put an Optima in the GMC and Toyota above this past May, also my wifes Buick.
All have since been replaced.
The GMC's Optima Puked in Yellowstone, and I put in one of my Marine Batteries from the RV to go the remaining 1600 trouble free miles on the trip.

The wifes Buick Optima puked at work and AAA replaced it with one of theirs.

After reading this thread, it seems to prove my point: The older Optimas are much better than the new.

Somethings changed. Optima is running on the fumes of their past reputation.

Had two Blue Tops, Grey light Body in the boat and replaced them with regular $47 COSTCO Kirklands after 2 months, and simply kept the refund netting $200 in my pocket.

I appreciate your chiming in Jim.
Being a forum regular, and a past HotBoats Forum regular I've watched the quality trends posts on various products over the years, and the MFG's reactions.

The first reaction from the MFG's is Nothings wrong, nothings changed and they gloss it all up, rather than admit a problem, and fix or improve it.

The Explorer, the Powerstroke,, Cummins,, Toyota's shenanigans it all appeared here & HB first then the damn broke and the truth came out.

We've run Optimas for quite some time and they used to be really good. Especially in our off road vehicles. We like the "Dry" battery especially in roll overs and extreme weather.
But, like I said,, somethings changed with Optimas.

Local Toyota dealer dropped selling them because of quality issues. I dare not bring in their service manager, he has plenty of @!!&*%#@! to say about what became of a once great Optima battery.

So Jim,, What happened???

·
MEDIUM PIMPIN!!!
1,494 Posts
Glad this topic came up as I am going on 4+ years on my Blue tops (Group 34) and have been very happy. I charge them on the gel/Agm setting and haven't had a problem. I know they are due to go away soon and don't want to purchase another set if they are not up to par with the old ones. I'll watch this thread and see how it goes. I too have heard MANY people say the new one's are not the same and don't last as long.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Jim McIlvaine
Sorry but you need to be a little more convincing on this as since the buy out (johnson or interstate) the batteries have gone to crap. where are they manufactured ? their are more complaints now than their has ever been on them. the quality is just not there anymore. here is just 1 thread that came up on a search, there are a lot and these are buy the customers that bought the battries not a sales rep or co. man.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410932&highlight=optima+batteries

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Sorry but you need to be a little more convincing on this as since the buy out (johnson or interstate) the batteries have gone to crap. where are they manufactured ? their are more complaints now than their has ever been on them. the quality is just not there anymore. here is just 1 thread that came up on a search, there are a lot and these are buy the customers that bought the battries not a sales rep or co. man.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410932&highlight=optima+batteries
Johnson Controls is the MFG, Interstate is one of the labels that "conventional" Johnson Controls batteries are sold under. The only other manufacturers of batteries are Exide and Delphi (unless there is a new player in the game which I doubt).

I wouldn't imagine that Johnson Controls/Interstate would just shut down the Optima plant and move production to the facility that WAS producing a battery that is completely different in design/dimension and components... The designs are two entirely different animals... I guess in ten years time they could have moved/consolodated the original Optima manufacturing ops but the components are as different as apples and oranges...

·
Wastin' away again...
71 Posts
Manufacturing moved to Mexico in 2009...

We still manufacture all of our own batteries, in our own facility and they are the only batteries made there. We never re-brand or re-spec our batteries for anyone.​
It would appear that Johnson Controls does manufacture the Optima batteries at its own facility. However, they closed the original Optima manufacturing facility in Aurora, CO in January of 2009, relocating manufacturing to a new facility in Mexico.

A quick Google search resulted in this posting from an 11-year Optima employee on Diesel Stop.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f102/optima-batteries-made-mexico-215667/

Appears they took both American jobs and American quality away in the process. Won't be buying an Optima battery any time in the future.

-OPH

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
SO the Mexicans are trying to put a SQUARE PLATE in a ROUND CELL??? (a little battery humor there folks) :D

The Proverbial "GIANT SUCKING SOUND FROM THE SOUTH" prophecy fulfilled...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just went today to a large nationwide auto parts chain store today to buy 2 optimas for my duramax and the sales guys did everything but beg me to not buy the optimas. He said they have nothing but problems with them.

·
Liar
1,529 Posts
I just went today to a large nationwide auto parts chain store today to buy 2 optimas for my duramax and the sales guys did everything but beg me to not buy the optimas. He said they have nothing but problems with them.

Then the solution is to buy 'em at Costco. :)hand

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have had good luck with the Napa brand Gell cells. I guess the made in mexico stamp explains the price drop and the quality issues. That sucks.

Cy

·
Premium Member
154 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Problem for all the Magic (dont know about other builders) owners is the billet battery holders are designed to fit only Optima so its sort of hard to chuck a couple of hundred $$ battery holders in the unwanted pile and then get other type. NSF

·
mud slinger
2,012 Posts
Problem for all the Magic (dont know about other builders) owners is the billet battery holders are designed to fit only Optima so its sort of hard to chuck a couple of hundred $$ battery holders in the unwanted pile and then get other type. NSF
That does suck.

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I guess that's all we'll hear from Optima Jim.

Shame to see a once great American product back into hell.
Evidently that's what happened.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts