Performance Boats Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
I doubt Jim works on weekends and he's been very responsive in other Optima threads (lots of info a search might not hurt to take advantage of some of it).

Several sound like whiny schoolgirls in here with the sarcasm directed at Jim.

On a different subject, out of all the products everyone buys in a month, how many are American made? Anyone own a Chevy? Mexico stamped all over that shit. Seriously, Costco buyers buyin all U.S. stuff? Just sayin.

I've had good luck with Optimas, old and newer. But that's just my experience. I also am not one that abuses batteries, I don't overcharge, and maintain properly. I have had more traditional bat failures than Optimas.

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I've owned some pretty sorry ass new Chevys.

They're now making them much better.

Our Suburban made in Mexico was flawless, our GMC made in Flint excellent too.

We have a PS 3 in the GMC and we think that's whats killing the Optima.
PS 3's have far, far more electrical demand than past Playstations.

Optimas we use no longer can handle the sudden PS3 draw-drown.
Our cheap-O $29 Wall Marts did.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I wonder what the percentage of failures is compared to the numbers sold, thats the only way we'll really know isnt it? :confused: I've only had good use from them, the big drawback was the price went thru the roof at the time I purchased, then came back down, DAMNIT!!!!!!
Now for the Tri-toon I will use Walmart Batteries though. NSF

·
Senior Moment Member
478 Posts
I have two yellow top optimas that I bought for my boat in 05. I have ran down both of them to completely dead. Put a trickle charger on them and brought them back twice. One of them has been in my Dodge truck for two years here in Havasu and the other one is in Keith Sayre's truck in Utah. Both are still working just fine.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I doubt Jim works on weekends and he's been very responsive in other Optima threads (lots of info a search might not hurt to take advantage of some of it).

On a different subject, out of all the products everyone buys in a month, how many are American made? Anyone own a Chevy? Mexico stamped all over that shit. Seriously, Costco buyers buyin all U.S. stuff? Just sayin.

I've had good luck with Optimas, old and newer. But that's just my experience. I also am not one that abuses batteries, I don't overcharge, and maintain properly. I have had more traditional bat failures than Optimas.
Rex, it is not about the quality of the batteries made in mexico, but that they put American workers out of work to make more $$ for the greedy ceo's. yes i used to use nothing but optimas but after having a bunch take a dump after a few months and lots of friends also have problems with them, i believe the quality has gone down. last night i was trying to figure out why my new MSD coil took a crap after 2 weeks of use and low and behold there it was on the bottom made in mexico! we need to stop letting our jobs go out of the country! i do not know jim but he works for them so i am not that suprised at some of the comments he has made. show numbers then i will believe. as more and more are becoming disappointed with them and that comes from retailers and customers. all the guys that have had theirs for years have not gotten into the new ones yet so they no clue as to weather the new ones will hold up till they try them.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'd like to know what store it is so I can avoid them. They're as technically incompetent as the guy at Best Buy that told me that satellite systems use negative ions and attract lightning, so I really needed surge protectors. Bet that store sells lots of supercapacitors and ultra exotic
speaker cables.

Just google "batteries on concrete". It was true at one time, but those
days are long, long gone.Pesky Varmint
Once the service writer at the Ford dealer in Mojave told my wife that she didn't need a new a/c system under warranty because "the Freon had worn out and they would just replace it for her for free"!!! I went back and they gave us a new compressor, evaporator/drier and condenser under warranty.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Rex, it is not about the quality of the batteries made in mexico, but that they put American workers out of work to make more $$ for the greedy ceo's. yes i used to use nothing but optimas but after having a bunch take a dump after a few months and lots of friends also have problems with them, i believe the quality has gone down. last night i was trying to figure out why my new MSD coil took a crap after 2 weeks of use and low and behold there it was on the bottom made in mexico! we need to stop letting our jobs go out of the country! i do not know jim but he works for them so i am not that suprised at some of the comments he has made. show numbers then i will believe. as more and more are becoming disappointed with them and that comes from retailers and customers. all the guys that have had theirs for years have not gotten into the new ones yet so they no clue as to weather the new ones will hold up till they try them.
I don't disagree at all with the need to stop manufacturing from flowing out of the US. It is largely due to government imo and well as opportunity for more $ elsewhere. I have posted a lot on this subject, not related to Optima. My point was singling out Optima. Thousands of products purchased all the time by the same ones I'd guess, coming from China, Mex, and elsewhere and I have not heard an outcry of boycotting those thousands of products.

My point regarding Jim was in reference to a comments by a few about him not posting, not to the validity of substance of his posts. Jim has always come back in an effort to answer people's questions so I believe those types of comments are unwarranted. When he does post, that content obviously has to be judged by each person as to its value.

Also, that if a person takes time to search, a pretty substantial amount of information can be found that Jim has posted on this forum trying to help people who in many cases don't know the proper procedures with regard to Optima charging and treatment, and further, explaining how their batteries work. The simple fact remains though, that most are too lazy to really search much. Bitching is infinitely easier. This is true on most any subject that a lot of information already exists on.

Whether Optima's have a quality issue going on is certainly up for debate. But that was not the subject of my earlier comments.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I agree Rex, most think it takes to much time to do a search, and that goes for almost any subject. I am explaining from my experience and that of my friends. like i said my MSD coil had "made in mexico" on the bottom. My Dodge truck was assembled in mexico. so i am not singling them out for it.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Not to get off subject but trying to find ANTHING THAT IS NOT MADE OUTSIDE THE U.S. IS VERY HARD TO ACCOMPLISH!!! NSF

·
Dazed and Transfused
2,308 Posts
Hey Rex, with MSD now being made in Mexico, will you continue to offer free replacement on components with expired warranties.... that fail due to improper use, care and/or installation? :)bulb

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hey Rex, with MSD now being made in Mexico, will you continue to offer free replacement on components with expired warranties.... that fail due to improper use, care and/or installation? :)bulb
Yeh and while he is at it you also get a free optima!;)

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
We aim to please Bilgie :D

Old joke for those that are new here. :)

I understand several MSD items are not made domestically now. Many don't take into account either that most any electronic item even if "made in USA", contains components from Asia. Gauges, stereos, GPS's, the list is long and includes companies that promote being made in USA. It is just not that simple any longer. Welcome to the new world order. :)eh:)

Not to get off the subject but here is a site my gf put up and maintains on products made in the U.S.A. http://usamade.wordpress.com/
We are strong proponents of buying U.S. when possible.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts

This whiny little schoolgirl likes to let people know when he gets FOCKED
so others are aware.

If Jim is the rep for Optima then he should expect
to get Hammered when quality goes away or when they label a product
different and charge more.:)hand

·
Registered
172 Posts
Since May of this year, we've been changing out our rolling stock to Optimas.
All the Optimas we buy have built dates damn near the same month (and this year) we buy them.

So May was about 3 months ago, and now we're exchanging many of our DEAD Optimas on warranty,, and our others are starting to weaken too.

All are seeing regular use, none should go dead,, but I 'm coming across bad Optima after bad Optima. They die overnight.

Is it me, or was the Optima a good battery at one time or I'm just kidding myself?
I got mine warrantied at Auto Zone in Havasu. Great warranty Batteries a little prone to be dead if abused? For what its worth.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi guys, I apologize for the delay in responding. Between the events going on right now and planning for SEMA, we’re pretty busy. Not So Fast, RedTops are SLI (starting/lighting/ignition) batteries. They can be used in marine applications and our 34M BlueTop is the marine equivalent of our Group 34 RedTop, with additional threaded top posts, but those batteries are not recommended for deep-cycle applications, which would include use as house batteries.

TPC, I understand there are a lot of conversations about our batteries online, as that is a reflection of the volume of batteries that we sell. While I don’t own an Explorer, Cummins or Toyota, I do have a 2003 6.0 Powerstroke that has given me nearly 180,000 solid miles. Even with that track record, I’ve never felt particularly compelled to go to Ford-Trucks.com or Powerstroke.org and start singing the praises of that engine. With the millions of batteries we’ve sold, we expect a lot of commentary on our products and we understand some will be positive and some negative. Although the quality of our batteries has never been better, I’m sorry to hear you had trouble with yours.

65 Sanger 440, thanks for posting the link to the H.A.M.B. board. A lot has changed in the automotive (and boating) world in the last ten years, particularly in terms of the technology found in our vehicles and the technology we use to communicate with each other. I don’t know how old this site is, but it looks like none of the people participating in this thread so far were registered here prior to 2007. Look at all the new conversations that have taken place on sites like this, just in the last four years. Optima did and decided to invite a broad cross-section of people from several different sites to last year’s SEMA show, including Scotty from the H.A.M.B. board.

Prior to arriving at SEMA, OPTIMA asked all of the invitees to gather feedback on our batteries, both good and bad. We wanted to know what folks were thinking, saying and what questions they might have. We found that while many of these folks have forgotten more about cars than some of us will ever know, batteries and electrical systems are not necessarily everyone’s strong suit. I don’t know that anyone we invited was familiar with the parallel charging technique we showed them for recharging deeply-discharged batteries. Many of them also admitted to being generally abusive to the batteries they owned- deeply discharging them or not properly maintaining them during periods of storage.

This feedback helped us identify areas where we could be more pro-active in dealing with our customers and many of the instructional videos on our YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/optimabatteries) are a response to this feedback. My presence on this site and hundreds of others is also part of Optima’s effort to be more pro-active with our customer service. We put an 800 number (888-8OPTIMA) on every battery we make, as well as a website and an e-mail address ([email protected]), where people can contact us if they have any questions or concerns about our products, but we’ve found that quite a few folks prefer to come to forums like this one to ask questions. Sometimes the answers and advice are great, sometimes they need some assistance and when that happens, we prefer to be pro-active in that regard.

Ten years ago, satellite radio, OnStar, GPS systems, and ipods were still in their infancy, if they existed at all. Today, they are all mainstream consumer items, found in many of today’s modern vehicles. Those accessories combined with the increasing presence of computers in modern vehicles have placed demands on electrical systems and batteries that simply didn’t exist a decade ago. We recognize that, just like we recognized the emergence of Internet-based communities. We’re doing our best to address all the advances in technology and the impact they’ve had on our industry.

A few of you have asked about our production facility is in Monterrey, Mexico and it’s actually a pretty impressive facility. You can view a video of it here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/contact_us/mexico_video/ The quality of the batteries produced in Colorado was excellent, but the degree of automation in our production process now has decreased variability, which has resulted in increases in consistency and the reliability of our batteries. If anyone has any other questions about our batteries, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

·
Canatard
3,341 Posts
Of the nine Optimas I own, I've had five failures in the last year, all failures were new ones. Those batteries are spread across 8 different vehicles.

It's to the point that I swapped out the conventional battery in my Ford Explorer and put in an Optima before I sold it. The buyer was impressed. I hope he has good luck with it.

I still have five functioning Optimas. They perform well and I expect them to last a couple of years.

I know there's childish crabbing but come on. This is not an isolated incident. Do you suppose I've had 8 bad alternators? All 8 alternators work fine with flooded batteries. Three of the vehicles are heavy equipment (a trencher and two skid steers). I suppose an industrial diesel engine will vibrate more than a typical car but that's what AGM is supposed to be all about. I'm convinced something is seriously wrong at Optima.

I still have five functioning Optimas. I'll use them until they fail. If they provide a decent service life, I might even replace the Optima in my boat so I don't have to throw out my billet Optima battery holder.

This isn't meant to be an affront to you, Jim. Thank you for your participation in this forum. I was a big Optima fan for a long time.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Made in Mexico don't matter much to me, if not them in Mexico it would be their family in the USA doing the same damn job,

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
I bought my first Optima (red top) around 1994? Used it in my truck, as well as my boat on weekends. Could NOT kill it. That battery was indestructible.
In the last 8 years or so, I have bought no less than 2 blues, 3 yellows, and one more red.
The red lasted about 2 years and was going strong when I sold the vehicle. I have one blue now functioning in the Miller. It seems to be a good one and has never failed in 2 full years. All the others died in less than a year.
No, I don't put trickle chargers on every vehicle, for around $200.00 for a blue or Yellow, I think they should be a little more maintenance free. What are you paying for if they need constant attention?
My experience is about 1 in 4 Optimas make the grade any more.:mad:

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Of the nine Optimas I own, I've had five failures in the last year, all failures were new ones. Those batteries are spread across 8 different vehicles.

It's to the point that I swapped out the conventional battery in my Ford Explorer and put in an Optima before I sold it. The buyer was impressed. I hope he has good luck with it.

I still have five functioning Optimas. They perform well and I expect them to last a couple of years.

I know there's childish crabbing but come on. This is not an isolated incident. Do you suppose I've had 8 bad alternators? All 8 alternators work fine with flooded batteries. Three of the vehicles are heavy equipment (a trencher and two skid steers). I suppose an industrial diesel engine will vibrate more than a typical car but that's what AGM is supposed to be all about. I'm convinced something is seriously wrong at Optima.

I still have five functioning Optimas. I'll use them until they fail. If they provide a decent service life, I might even replace the Optima in my boat so I don't have to throw out my billet Optima battery holder.

This isn't meant to be an affront to you, Jim. Thank you for your participation in this forum. I was a big Optima fan for a long time.

Based on your posts about using sawsall to drill holes in plate steel and other tool abuses we can only assume that you routinely are doing field welding with your 8 batteries bridged together for a steady 48VDC supply... This voids the warranty Tom, no stick welding on Hooli's boat hull with your Optima welder!!!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts