Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy another one for my truck. I been buying red for things with wheels and yellow for my Hydro. I tried to get an education on Optimas web site but other then more charging cycles on Yellow and Blue didnt learn much. Can someone give me an education and tell me whos got the best deal, Thanks Tom

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Simple - Unless you are running an RV or a blender boat cruiser.... you dont need anything more than the redtop 25/35 battery for starting. with 700-900 cca it is more than enough for any type of boat that doesnt have any accessories. Dont waste your money on anything more!

Shop around ebay and even craigslist for deals, rather than dealers.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I need to buy another one for my truck. I been buying red for things with wheels and yellow for my Hydro. I tried to get an education on Optimas web site but other then more charging cycles on Yellow and Blue didnt learn much. Can someone give me an education and tell me whos got the best deal, Thanks Tom
This should help
http://youtu.be/FaM7exZmzKY

·
Registered
598 Posts
I like the red top battery. Have one on a 10 sec. Texas Tunnel, a ZR-1 and a 2008 GMC. No complaints. The one on the GMC was bought in July of 2003 and still strong. I`ve got my fingers crossed on that one.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Every Optima battery I owned (3) got replaced in less than a year and two of those replacements never made it to a year either. Thats 5 Optimas that didn't go a full year in my vehicles... seriously. Every walmart battery I've owned lasted.. Just my experience

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sounds like some bad luck. I ran a red top in my truck for 3 years and was still working great when I sold it this year. Dad runs a blue top in his for 5. Brother has a red in his truck and it's still going after 6 years. Run one in my boat with no alternator and it'll start my boat all weekend long at the river without putting it on a charger at night

·
Registered
185 Posts
i have had allot of failed optima battery's also. and buy at wallmart with no problems. i did buy an optima for the willys coupe because of fit but not real happy with it

·
Nostalgic V-Drives
404 Posts
I just went they my optimas. I have used them in boats for a long time prefer a gel battery. I expect 5 years out of them. My earlier ones pre Costco seemed to last longer 7 plus. But like all things these days not made like they used to

Batteries like to be cycled and boats don't always get enough use My last one lasted 5 years but it was on a tender for 2 years I was thinking it would last a lot longer so I was disappointed.

It was a 780 CCA tested at 660 which indicates replacement it didn't die but I was get hard starts out of it I had one in my car also. About 5 years old a 720 CCA red top and it tested 770. Put it in and no problems.

I heard stinger makes a good battery but never tried em $ there are others out there.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just went they my optimas. I have used them in boats for a long time prefer a gel battery. I expect 5 years out of them. My earlier ones pre Costco seemed to last longer 7 plus. But like all things these days not made like they used to

Batteries like to be cycled and boats don't always get enough use My last one lasted 5 years but it was on a tender for 2 years I was thinking it would last a lot longer so I was disappointed.

It was a 780 CCA tested at 660 which indicates replacement it didn't die but I was get hard starts out of it I had one in my car also. About 5 years old a 720 CCA red top and it tested 770. Put it in and no problems.

I heard stinger makes a good battery but never tried em $ there are others out there.
This^^^

Every Opttima in DAILY DRIVER will last years. Its like a cordless phone battery, it needs DAILY maintenance. If ya leave the phone off the charger till its dead, pretty soon it will only last 15 minutes with a full charge. But if ya replace it after EACH call it will last a couple hours when needed.

I just hate the way Optimas are marketed to people to use in Wheelers, Boats, Hotrods, Motorhomes, etc. ALL stuff that SITS around.

In a daily driver, they love life. Sitting in your garage for months, not so much so.

Just my >02. LOTS will dissagree with me and lots will agree, but just search OPTIMAS SUCK and notice how MANY different forums have had this talk. The responses/posts also change as Optima Sponsors ALOT of the boards so HONEST info is sometimes covered up.

·
Registered
688 Posts
This^^^

Every Opttima in DAILY DRIVER will last years. Its like a cordless phone battery, it needs DAILY maintenance. If ya leave the phone off the charger till its dead, pretty soon it will only last 15 minutes with a full charge. But if ya replace it after EACH call it will last a couple hours when needed.

I just hate the way Optimas are marketed to people to use in Wheelers, Boats, Hotrods, Motorhomes, etc. ALL stuff that SITS around.

In a daily driver, they love life. Sitting in your garage for months, not so much so.

Just my >02. LOTS will dissagree with me and lots will agree, but just search OPTIMAS SUCK and notice how MANY different forums have had this talk. The responses/posts also change as Optima Sponsors ALOT of the boards so HONEST info is sometimes covered up.
I agree with you that optima's liked to be used or cycled but that is no different than any other battery. All the optima's i've ever used or my family and friends have used work great and the kicker is, they come from a battery shop that recycles "junk" batteries that people have turned in only to find out that they needed a charge and they last forever. So I get them for cheap aka free;). My dad's boat only get's used 5 times a year and the rest of the time it sits but if you pull the battery and give it a charge every once in awhile, or leave it on a tender, they'll last forever.

This is just like anything automotive, people that have had bad experiences will say they suck and people that have never had a problem swear by it. Find a battery that works for you :))THumbsUp

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Wow, I must have got lucky I have had a red top in mine for 8 years. I have only put a charger to it maybe three times at the most in 9 years. I dont even charge it after a long winter. It just keeps going and going. My brother has a blue in his boat it's been in for 4 or 5 years no problems and he doesn't run an alternater. I have heard of people having issues with Optima, we haven't in fact just the opposite.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Got red tops in the offshore boat, been in there 4 years, cranking 600" motors,
Got em in a 70' footer also, starting 1350 hp v12 diesels been in there 3 years, still going strong

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I have 28 Optimas in play right now and have lost a total of 4 in 15 years. Three of those, I was the culprit and over-charged them. Optimas have barely-recordable internal resistance, where flooded batteries have quite a bit. When charging, this makes 10-amps seem like 40+ to an Optima. They only need a few amps AT MOST to "charge" them. Most often, our rigs (any sort) are parked with a charged battery from the alternator. So they don't need to be "charged", they need to be maintained. Below 12.4 volts, any battery starts to sulfate or "mold". This reduces the battery life and efficiency. So, I run these on all of my vehicles that sit:
For $50, I can ensure that the vehicle will start every time I walk out to it AND the battery doesn't sulfate

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
An interesting read on why Optima's seem to fail and how to bring and your Optima's back to life..... Optima Battery Charger Brings
You don't need a zillion dollar battery charger to bring a Optima back from completely discharged dead. All you need is another charged battery and a pair of jumper cables. Hook the two batteries together with the jumper cables, and hook the charger to either battery. Charge the two like that for an hour or so, and then you can unhook the jumpers and finish charging the Optima.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
688 Posts
An interesting read on why Optima's seem to fail and how to bring and your Optima's back to life..... Optima Battery Charger Brings
You don't need a zillion dollar battery charger to bring a Optima back from completely discharged dead. All you need is another charged battery and a pair of jumper cables. Hook the two batteries together with the jumper cables, and hook the charger to either battery. Charge the two like that for an hour or so, and then you can unhook the jumpers and finish charging the Optima.
Yup. Done this before with so called "junk" Optimas. Still going today.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Also try to avoid using the side posts on an Optima for anything that is high current like starting a nasty engine or a winch.

They tend to get hot and fall off/pull out.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts