Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lakeruser wrote on Jun 26, 2009 1:14 PM:

" Thanks for the heads up. I was considering coming out this weekend (from So Cal). Given this I certainly not.

While I appreciate the differing view points on the enforcement issue I must say that it the "crackdown" is nothing more than several agencies trying to justify their budgets. If they really wanted to "crackdown" then all they'd have to do is post a DUI check point at the the boat launches. But that'd only take a couple of cops, not the small army they will employ this weekend.

And as an American I am greatly offended by the check points and "random" safety checks. If they have a good faith belief that a crime is being committed then they certainly can pull over the alleged offending vessel. But those of us who boat in Havasu know that's not what happens. They pull over anybody and everybody for safety checks that inevitably result in one or several citations, costing hundreds of dollars.

Which of course justifies their salaries and check points.

No I certainly will not be coming this weekend. I will not be staying at a hotel, filling up my boat, or dining out for three meals per day.

Thank you Coast Guard, SBPD, and MCPD for saving me lots of money, or at least redirecting it towards my local community. "

dunhavasu wrote on Jun 26, 2009 12:54 PM:

" I'm all for keeping the DRUNKS off the water ie.people that are intoxicated what worries me is how many family people that have 4 or 5 beers over the course of 6 or so hours relaxing in a cove, and are far from being drunk is this going to scare away. Its already on all the boat forums on the web wonder how many people changed their plans this weekend and went elsewhere? "

spudkiller wrote on Jun 26, 2009 12:22 PM:

" I'm glad to hear it's all over the net. This is the best thing that's ever happened. Know we no how to keep drunken stupid people away from here. Thank god for this newspaper. "

Desertrat wrote on Jun 26, 2009 12:05 PM:

" Can you say 'disignated driver?' If it's good enough for the roads, it is good enough for the rivers. Have fun, but don't drink and drive. Pretty simple really. "

rivergirl811 wrote on Jun 26, 2009 11:32 AM:

" Me & my friend got pulled over in front of
naked turtle bar, a few yrs. ago, the cop
thought he had a DUI, he even put my friend on his boat, he was pretty mad when
he found out that she doesn't drink, so he gave her a ticket & said that we only
slowed down at the no wake zone, because we saw him.... Go figure... $180.00 ticket
Just for the record we are 2 40yr.old ,women, maybe that was the reason he pulled us over????? We did talk to other
cops on the lake that weekend & they all
said that guy (cop) has issues. Just goes to show you there are some cool cops in Havasu , but there is always one
that gives visitors the wrong impression!!! "

calkid wrote on Jun 26, 2009 10:45 AM:

" Thanks for the heads up I just cancelled my hotel reservations and won't be coming this weekend. Looks like they told the cops the city can use some money this weekend. Sorry to the local businesses I hate to see this happen to you. The city needs to learn this just hurts them. Last weekend the cops looked like storm troopers in a pack at the channel. "

johnjay wrote on Jun 26, 2009 10:31 AM:

" VoiceOfReason,

We're not saying you shouldn't enforce laws. We're just saying don't go to Havasu, if you don't want to be stopped for a RANDOM police state search. Sounds good to me, I'm all for getting rid of the Fourth Amendment, I think "fishing expeditions" by the executive are a wonderful exercise in liberty and freedom. I'm sure glad none of you were framers, you people are so willing to give up your liberty without even a whimper of protest. "

VoiceOfReason wrote on Jun 26, 2009 10:05 AM:

" cal/hav, you crack me up. First you criticize the paper for the article, saying it will scare away tourists, then you criticize the very tourists you are concerned will be scared away. How is that fence sitting working out for you?

All 3 of the posts to this point have the same theme: let's not enforce laws regarding drinking & driving, drinking & boating, and speeding; let's just close our eyes to any illegal behavior, in the name of tourist dollars. How very sad that so many feel the same way you do. It is that line of thinking that keeps many families away from the lake and away from Havasu because they don't want to be surrounded by people who seem to need excessive amounts of alcohol and debauchery to have what they call fun.

IMHO there is nothing wrong with law enforcement doing whatever is necessary to keep the waterways safe. Unfortunately, the mentality of so many is not about following the laws, it is about NOT following them, and trying not to get caught. "

johnjay wrote on Jun 26, 2009 10:05 AM:

" Wow that was fast, it's already starting to show up in all the boat and Havasu forums all over the internet. "

rivrights wrote on Jun 26, 2009 10:00 AM:

" "Cal/hav, your a real peach. First you say that the article will scare away the tourist, and then you slam the same tourists calling them idiots that can't READ. Why not let those that may drink while on the lake get the notice that there will be more law enforcement personnel out there. It might keep a few more boaters safe from being involved in an injury incident. AND, why must most of you bloggers constantly bag on those individuals that try to prevent YOU from hurting others? You must be the one's whom they are looking for"! "

blues wrote on Jun 26, 2009 9:41 AM:

" copwatch.net/forums/
I posted this on the copwatch forum,.
we can expect brutal police action, mis leading and lies told by police to people.
I may get down to the park and hand out copwatch flyers, and have a camcorder ready,.
everyone have your camcorders,.
then again,. just not going there is good too!$$$ as this is all about money,.shakedown "

spudkiller wrote on Jun 26, 2009 9:04 AM:

" Thanks for getting that out. We don't need all that trash scattered all over the place anyway. Pack it in and pack it out. And that doesn't mean throw it out the window on your way out of town. Nobody has to worry if they don't get drunk and act stupid. And we need the money to pay for the sewer project. "

LHCMOM wrote on Jun 26, 2009 8:47 AM:

" How many lives have been lost on our lake due to alcohol related accidents? I don't agree with harassing anyone but regular checks should be done in order to prevent another death. Can we try and see this as trying to save lives instead of as a negative thing. There are rules in place for a reason. Break them and pay the price. And remember, these guys are only doing there job so give em a break. "

johnjay wrote on Jun 26, 2009 7:42 AM:

" Thanks for the heads up. We'll let everyone know to stay away from Havasu this weekend. We'll announce it through Twitter, Facebook, all the blogs and forums. I think you should also set up a couple photo vans just outside Havasu and maybe a couple Highway patrol behind some of the overpasses. Oh and make sure you stake out every bar in the city with checkpoints at all the hotel parking lots. "

cal/hav wrote on Jun 26, 2009 7:20 AM:

" Why must this go in the Paper? Is it to intentionally scare away tourist, to make them look forward to the 2, 3, 4 safety checks a day. Business is bad enough. Lets just put some salt and vinegar in the wound. Do you really think that the idots on the lake READ. "

awlohr wrote on Jun 26, 2009 3:20 AM:

" I read the above article and have to ask, Why? I have not read or noted incidents and injuries to warrant such an expensive "crackdown" on people out on the water having a good time? Could not the resources and manpower be used more effectively somewhere else? I do not understand the purpose of a checkpoint other than to harrass the very patrons that business up and down the river invite and need. "

· Registered
532 Posts
Izzit really that big of a deal to go through a safety check? I see 'em coming and have everyone hold up PFDs and the throw cushion before they even get close. They ask a couple of questions, determine I'm dumb but I'm not drunk, and they drive away. :)sphss

Takes 3 or 4 minutes.

· I'm baaaaack...
4,238 Posts
Can we get this on the 4th, as well?

· Nuclear Powered
1,202 Posts
Did you remember the whisle mike:D

· Wade & Denise
1,994 Posts
Izzit really that big of a deal to go through a safety check? I see 'em coming and have everyone hold up PFDs and the throw cushion before they even get close. They ask a couple of questions, determine I'm dumb but I'm not drunk, and they drive away. :)sphss

Takes 3 or 4 minutes.
x2

· Registered
3,734 Posts
Stupidity at it's finest...:D

blues wrote on Jun 26, 2009 9:41 AM:

" copwatch.net/forums/
I posted this on the copwatch forum,.
we can expect brutal police action, mis leading and lies told by police to people.
I may get down to the park and hand out copwatch flyers, and have a camcorder ready,.
everyone have your camcorders,.
then again,. just not going there is good too!$$$ as this is all about money,.shakedown "

· Registered
1 Posts
OUI/BUI/DUI checkpoint?

So this past weekend just north of havasu ("speed alley") there was a lot of patrol activity and a huge houseboat with docks and sea tow vessels and it looked like they were filing all the south bound traffic in there. Was this a new procedure for the area? Is this a checkpoint? If anyone knows the official info on this please share. I think it is a good thing to be checking more like this, but it is nice to know that it will be there so some can be a little more careful and maybe others will catch on and bring designated drivers along.

· Registered
6,017 Posts
So this past weekend just north of havasu ("speed alley") there was a lot of patrol activity and a huge houseboat with docks and sea tow vessels and it looked like they were filing all the south bound traffic in there. Was this a new procedure for the area? Is this a checkpoint? If anyone knows the official info on this please share. I think it is a good thing to be checking more like this, but it is nice to know that it will be there so some can be a little more careful and maybe others will catch on and bring designated drivers along.
My buddy went thru this on Sat. He said that they put out a no wake buoy and had the sheriffs boat with there lights on and a bunch of cops on PWC checking people. This was around 6pm.

· Registered
847 Posts
Interesting. I boated between Havasu and the Springs all weekend and did not see 1 LEO boat. Guess I know why now, they were all north of Havasu.

IMO I would rather see LEO boats all over the river and not in 1 place (seems safer to me).

· #245 ITT
220 Posts
We parked in the channel Saturday afternoon and there seemed to be a constant parade of Havasu's finest in unmarked boats. Only knew they were cops because of the uniforms and lights above the center console.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.