Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With many recent injuries and at least two deaths in the past few weeks, this is disapointing. PI

AZGFD Checkpoint --
Statistics Disappointing

KINGMAN, AZ –
Fifty-eight citations were issued during a recent four-hour multi-agency operating under the influence (OUI) and safety checkpoint on the Colorado River at the I-40 Bridge near Topock.
Deputies from the Mohave County Sheriff’s Office, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Office and the Arizona Game and Fish Department took part in the effort, which resulted in twelve operators being charged with OUI, meaning they exceeded the .08 legal limit for blood-alcohol content. A total of 182 watercraft passed through the four-hour checkpoint.
Law Enforcement Program Manager Tim Baumgarten of AZGFD's Kingman Office said, “It is disappointing. I believe the operation was a success in that we removed impaired boaters from the waterway, but arresting one out of every 15 operators is unacceptable. People need to understand that recreation becomes life threatening at those numbers.”
Baumgarten noted that alcohol impairment was the third most common violation at the checkpoint. Not having a type four throwable was the most common violation (15), followed by insufficient personal floatation devices with 13 and twelve OUI arrests. Eleven citations were issued for no fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
With many recent injuries and at least two deaths in the past few weeks, this is disapointing. PI

AZGFD Checkpoint --
Statistics Disappointing

KINGMAN, AZ –
Fifty-eight citations were issued during a recent four-hour multi-agency operating under the influence (OUI) and safety checkpoint on the Colorado River at the I-40 Bridge near Topock.
Deputies from the Mohave County Sheriff’s Office, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Office and the Arizona Game and Fish Department took part in the effort, which resulted in twelve operators being charged with OUI, meaning they exceeded the .08 legal limit for blood-alcohol content. A total of 182 watercraft passed through the four-hour checkpoint.
Law Enforcement Program Manager Tim Baumgarten of AZGFD's Kingman Office said, “It is disappointing. I believe the operation was a success in that we removed impaired boaters from the waterway, but arresting one out of every 15 operators is unacceptable. People need to understand that recreation becomes life threatening at those numbers.”
Baumgarten noted that alcohol impairment was the third most common violation at the checkpoint. Not having a type four throwable was the most common violation (15), followed by insufficient personal floatation devices with 13 and twelve OUI arrests. Eleven citations were issued for no fire extinguisher.
Wow, I hate to sound bad, but 1 in 13 is far better than I thought it would be. I figured better than 50% of boaters on havasu were over .08

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts

AZGFD Checkpoint --
Statistics Disappointing
KINGMAN, AZ – Fifty-eight citations were issued during a recent four-hour multi-agency operating under the influence (OUI) and safety checkpoint on the Colorado River at the I-40 Bridge near Topock.
Folks just don't get it!!:)st

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Throwable PDF's are 8.2%
PDF's for people are 7.1%
OUI's at 6.6%
Expired fire bottle 6.0%
People that got nothing only 72%

Good thing these guys don't just walk the channel.

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
Note that they were disappointed in the results.

Not that they caught so "few" drunks, but that they got so many. 6.6% may not seem very significant, but that means that 1 out of every 15 boats you pass is being piloted by a drunk.

Think about THAT next time you're cruising through the Gorge.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
What are the stats for street check points with regard to DUI ratios.

If any of you think OUI or DUI is going to go away quickly your dreaming. It has been a way of life for many YEARS consequently it is going to take years for this bad behaviour to become signifigantly lowered. Look at how many years it's been since drunk driving on the streets has been being strictly enforced and yet every night they're still out there. One in fifteen shows progress maybe not as much as we would like to see but better that before.

·
Full Of It.
787 Posts
Note that they were disappointed in the results.

Not that they caught so "few" drunks, but that they got so many. 6.6% may not seem very significant, but that means that 1 out of every 15 boats you pass is being piloted by a drunk.

Think about THAT next time you're cruising through the Gorge.
I assume EVERY other boat is piloted by a drunken skipper.

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
We did one on the Strip about 12 years ago. We checked 160 boats in a 4 hour period (3 PM-7 PM) and arrested 18 drunks. That's slightly more than 1 in 10. (bac limit was .10% then)

1 in 15 is an improvement, although still too many.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Me too and I will not even have 1 single beer while I am driving my boat period. It's just not worth the risk of hurting myself, my family/friends or some other innocent person on the water....mustless the huge ticket and headache for a DUI.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
We did one on the Strip about 12 years ago. We checked 160 boats in a 4 hour period (3 PM-7 PM) and arrested 18 drunks. That's slightly more than 1 in 10. (bac limit was .10% then)

way too many IMO

·
"SELF MADE" broke dick
1,006 Posts

I have to ask so drunk boaters please don't get mad.:D

Why don't they do these check points more often?

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Rest assured. When you float by me there's a sober driver.
I am the Co-Captain of team "2 Beer". Although I dont drink, thats still the name of the team?!?
My wife however, is the Co-Captain of team "Drink to Much".
BTW if shes been drinkin, I go get the truck/trailer also.
As for everything else. 2 fire bottles, 1 type4 (under my seat), 6 orange vests + our ski vests, and 1 paddle (for when Im up sh!t creek).

Hey BoatCop, question.
If I ever get stopped, is it rude to ask to officer just skip the FST's and go straight to the breathalizer?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts