Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I wanted to ask for some advice and not sure what I should do. I just replaced the headers and tails on one of my engines and replaced the switchable tips for both. My question is: Has anyone polished their own drives with any success. What are the pros and cons of doing so? Do I need to remove the lowers to poish them? Will it help to put some clear on them afterwards?

The lowers are the 2" shorties from IMCO. They are on my 42 fountain. The back of the boat is shaping up and starting to look nice. But I feel the satin finish just doesnt complete the look. I have no polishing experience but have the airtools and supplies to start. I have a long winter ahead and upgrading the engines is gonna have to wait till I can find somebody I trust. So In the meatime I wanted to do a couple of projects on my own.

I also just ordered a new set of six blades, should wake the boat up a little next year.

Please any constructive advice is greatly apreciated. I thank you in advance for your insight.

Thanks MP

·
Because KAP said so...
273 Posts
Take a DA air sander and sand with 600, then 800, no need to remove the drive and if you have air tools get some white rouge and go to town but you can also obtain the same results with flitz or any other billet pollish, the more you pollish the nicer it looks...The down to pollishing the lower is that you will lose some MPH but I did it to my MMW @ 130mph I was not worried about 1-2mph, I would like to look cooler roling down the road:D

Attachments

·
27 Victory 800efi
420 Posts
Why would polishing it make you lose MPH?
The smooth surface actually sticks to the water more and thus adds more friction between it and the water. Same reason why waxing the hull can lose a couple mph, whereas sanding the hull might gain a couple mph.

·
Boat Bling Distributor
1,163 Posts
Take a DA air sander and sand with 600, then 800, no need to remove the drive and if you have air tools get some white rouge and go to town but you can also obtain the same results with flitz or any other billet pollish, the more you pollish the nicer it looks...The down to pollishing the lower is that you will lose some MPH but I did it to my MMW @ 130mph I was not worried about 1-2mph, I would like to look cooler roling down the road:D

Ill second this.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I did my sportmaster last year off of the boat. It looked great when it was finished. Over the summer, even with weekly hand polishing, it started looking bad. I just got a new Imco and I will not polish this one.

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
MP aka Clearfork:

Why! polish it you need every MPH you can get and let's face it the drive is in the water who cares if it looks satin. I have a X-Power Drive on now and after a few fly overs on a couple of sandbars the lower looks sandblasted:D and it is just the way it should be.

The boat is not going to a boat show or exhibit so leave it rough and spend the time and effort on the motors:D;).

Good to see your around I hope your not using your laptop a lot;). Glad your back on the boards bud.

KAP

P.S. Your fingers better be broken because you have not called in a long time thought you went boatless for awhile:):)grn.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Take a DA to it but not with 6 or 800.... More like 60. Make it a satin and don't polish it for two reasons.

1. It does slow the boat a bit.
2. You'll have 9000 hours into it over the course of a couple years trying
keep it clean. I tried to keep mine clean, didn't work. Finallly gave in
and made it a satin finish and all my worries went away.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh well...

Well leave it to John to bust my bubble,

I have talked around and all agree. I would be punching myself in the groin if I polish them. I am way to anal and if it looked like crap it would bug me worse.

The speed, who cares 84 or 86 the big sled is gonna need some HP to play any harder. A buddy said he tried to clear his after he polished them. IT was a mess, and was difficult to clean up.

Oh well , I sincerely apreciate the input. You have helped me make my mind up. I will stick to WD-40 and the scotchbrite pads. They keep it looking the light gray. I spray them down after each use with wd-40 as well, props and all. It really makes a difference.

Hey Kap, sorry buddy , I have been in the air alot. The friendly skies arent so friendly some times...I am well and the fam is good. The only reason I will sell the fountain is to buy another, not gonna be without a toy.

I will give you call when I get home, gotta tell my whipple story, good times, keep the testing coming, gotta get the x dialed in soon. The pfaff motor has gotta love the cooler weather.

Thanks guys, I apreciate all the input, I never left the boards KAP. Just better to be seen not heard sometimes. I learned my lesson the hard way last time. Seems like you gotta have some thicker skin than I have around here sometimes. I enjoy this place as much as the next guy, really.

Be good fellas, thanks again. Look forward to seeing you on the water.

MP

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
Hey Kap, sorry buddy , I have been in the air alot. The friendly skies arent so friendly some times...I am well and the fam is good. The only reason I will sell the fountain is to buy another, not gonna be without a toy.
Can't use the laptop anymore now that NWA overshot the airport? :p:D

·
private dancer
484 Posts
Did it once will never do it again! Looked awesome when done but did not last long.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Powder coat them bright silver...Little or no maintenance ......

This would be a bad idea! To powdercoat something you have to get it really, really hot. The heat will likely ruin the drive and the bearings and shafts won't seat properly after the heat has distorted the integrity of the drive.

Have you seen very many powdercoated drives? Even jet pump suction housings and bowls dont get powder coated, they get painted.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Did it once will never do it again! Looked awesome when done but did not last long.
Seriously...I did that sh!t one time....Very first time I ran it in the ocean it looked like azz again. Now I just leave it raw.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys

Yep I think the consensus is to leave them alone. One less thing to stress about. They look good as they are, but the bling was enticing.

As far as the computer while airborne, my airline has had it for months. Not gonna try it. Not worth my tickets.
I dont care what the paper says...those boys fell asleep. The m/c light would have come on when they didnt desend at the top of desent.
I think somebody advised them to come up with a better story quick.

thanks for all the help , I sincerely aprecaite it.

MP

1 - 20 of 26 Posts