Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 461 BBC 11.5 to 1, 660 lift solid roller cam. This motor had stock casting 781 oval heads with stock sized valves topped with a wieand tunnel ram with two 660 carbs. I have just got a set of dart pro 1 aluminum 310 heads. My question is how bad is the oval port intake gonna hurt me on the square heads? Dart says to run it this way for torque but think Ima need the power up top.... any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I have a 461 BBC 11.5 to 1, 660 lift solid roller cam. This motor had stock casting 781 oval heads with stock sized valves topped with a wieand tunnel ram with two 660 carbs. I have just got a set of dart pro 1 aluminum 310 heads. My question is how bad is the oval port intake gonna hurt me on the square heads? Dart says to run it this way for torque but think Ima need the power up top.... any suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Run it, Just make sure the manifold seals at the top of the ports.
I doubt you'll lose any power on top,

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! Never would have figured that! So while I have your attention.... should I use a square gasket or oval gasket?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Wow! Never would have figured that! So while I have your attention.... should I use a square gasket or oval gasket?
You might have to try both and see which seals better.
Like Steel posted, the gasket play no real role in the flow or power, only how well it seals.
I have found most rectangle gaskets are pretty skimpy around the ports and the ovals sometimes don't seal well at the top. The top of most rectangle ports is higher than the ovals.
Some ovals have more material above the port than others. Look for gaskets that aren't trimmed away above the port opening, like these Mr Gasket Ultra

Avoid ones that are thin above the port like these Felpros. You can almost bet these won't seal a rectangle port head.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Like Steel posted, the gasket play no real role in the flow or power, only how well it seals.
I have found most rectangle gaskets are pretty skimpy around the ports and the ovals sometimes don't seal well at the top. The top of most rectangle ports is higher than the ovals.
Some ovals have more material above the port than others. Look for gaskets that aren't trimmed away above the port opening, like these Mr Gasket Ultra

Avoid ones that are thin above the port like these Felpros. You can almost bet these won't seal a rectangle port head.
Thanks Bob...didn't really have time to go into detail.:))THumbsUp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts