Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been kicking around a move to Havi for sometime now, but recently I've really been thinking hard about it. My lady is into it too and we seem to talk a lot about it. I guess I'm being a big chicken and can't seem to pull the trigger and go for it. I'm born and raised right here in So. Cal. and making a move out of state and to the desert freaks me out. Don't get me wrong, I've spent years boating and enjoying Havasu and I love every bit of it. I love the desert, lake, slow pace, etc. I guess I need some help pulling my balls out of my purse, so I am hoping that all of you Havasu residents on here could offer up some of your own stories as to why you ended up there, where you came from, the likes and dislikes, pros and cons, etc.? Did you move there and couldn't handle it so you moved away, etc, etc.? I'm fed up with just about everything that is California, except for the weather, so I'm thinking that it's time to pull up roots and move on!

THanks in advace for your feed back, as I look forward to reading about your experinces!:D

·
Registered
281 Posts
my 0.001
Spend a couple of weeks with the family in the summer and in the winter.
A couple of laps around the sandbox will give you the answer.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Love it here, came from Colo.,(small town) got tired of the snow and cold. We can boat year round, golf (just a hacker) and gamble near by. There are some plus and minus where ever you live or move too. But we would rather live here than any where else, works for us. Of course it would depend on if you could make a living here.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I will say I have spent at least two months out there this year, maybe a bit more. At times it is a lot of fun and a great place to be. The problem that you can run into the same couple of good places to eat if you like to go out once in a while, and it can get boring, it is a small town so everybody knows what everyone else is doing. That said it is really nice to run back and forth between Havi and Parker in 35 mintues. Versus that 35 miles at home is 1.5 hours. And a lot of the people are much nicier happier then Ca. res.

Just some of my thoughts.

Andy

·
professional slacker
884 Posts
I think living in Havi would be a bit isolated. In the westside of Phoenix I can be in Scottsdale in 30 minutes, lake in 15, Cards, Suns, Dbacks in 30-45..

Also the landscape is a lot more greener then that barren deadscape. (I will say that the Gorge is awsome!)

2.5 hours to Flagstaff, Sedona, and I havent been to Alpine area, but my Arizona Highways mag. has me ready to take a trip!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Living there is fine. Just what do you plan to do for income?
I guess I should have mentioned that I'm self-employeed and as long as there's FedEx or UPS I'm just fine. My lady on the other hand would need to find something to do for employment!

·
6,873 Posts
ASt first it will be the best thing ever.
Then reality sets in, NO WORK IN THIS TOWN, unless you like M.W. and work your ass off for it.
Coming from N.B to this will be shocking, It is a great place to VISIT, but HELL to live in....
DOn't do it, Small town mentality rules here

·
Dazed and confused!
512 Posts
Then reality sets in, NO WORK IN THIS TOWN, unless you like M.W. and work your ass off for it.
Coming from N.B to this will be shocking, It is a great place to VISIT, but HELL to live in....
I was just goint to post ask Kilr, he had some pretty valuable information on this subject a few weeks ago. I guess I was to slow.:D

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Did you ever live there full time. Or didn't you commute most weekends while your family was living there. Kinda hard to compare don't you think. Oh and I forgot you had a hard on for the Police in Havasu also.

·
Registered
537 Posts
In 1997 my ex and I packed it up and moved to Paulen, AZ north of Prescott. It was fun, beautiful and we were busy building a new home. Once the house was built we were bored. Friends and family visited, can't tell you how many time we went to Sedona and Jerome. Don't get me wrong, lots of beautiful places to see but constant company can be too much after a while!! We both ended up working our asses off for minimum wage. Good experience I suppose :)sphss but always said if there was a next time, just rent for 6 months or so to make sure it where you want to be. my .02 :)

·
1,278 Posts
If you are a simple man this is a great place.I never get bored, there is something to do in this town every weekend. Great place to raise kids. You tend to get a little jaded, I was just sitting down in my favorite parking lot eating lunch looking at the bridge. I still remember bustin my ass so we could come here 5 or 6 times a year.
We have been here about nine years. I would never go back.....We still love it here.
Good luck ....

·
6,873 Posts
Did you ever live there full time. Or didn't you commute most weekends while your family was living there. Kinda hard to compare don't you think. Oh and I forgot you had a hard on for the Police in Havasu also.

I actually lived there FULL TIME FOR OVER 180 DAYS. only leaving town twice for the day. UM MR. KNOW IT ALL
and yes the wife lived there for almost 3 years FULL TIME.....
The word POLICE, is kind of a reach....

·
6,873 Posts
If you are a simple man this is a great place.I never get bored, there is something to do in this town every weekend. Great place to raise kids. You tend to get a little jaded, I was just sitting down in my favorite parking lot eating lunch looking at the bridge. I still remember bustin my ass so we could come here 5 or 6 times a year.
We have been here about nine years. I would never go back.....We still love it here.
Good luck ....
What Carey said is very true, But if you enjoy shopping and eating out and going places other than Walmart, You will become bored very quick...
And driving to Phoeniz and Vegas to go to the mall get old after the first trip...

A great place to raise kids IMO up until H.S.. Schools are very good

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
I actually lived there FULL TIME FOR OVER 180 DAYS. only leaving town twice for the day. UM MR. KNOW IT ALL
and yes the wife lived there for almost 3 years FULL TIME.....
The word POLICE, is kind of a reach....
Yep...Forgot about the rash / disability incident. :D

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
mmmm, what to add...

I was living and working in oc, divorced.

Been coming to Havasu since the bridge was built as a kid.

the lake/boating lifestyle was what I followed. Knowing I would not be leaving work in oc, I wanted a house in Havi... (I was practically making a house payment between the Springs and the Nautical with all my trips anyway, and boat storage).

I found a house under construction in havi that I bought, and kept an apartment in oc... the havi house provided me a place to chill, store my boat and I started spending even more time in havi. I began calling it home and then after a short time I said the heck with the apartment in oc, get rid of it, its a waste of money (I was only staying there 4-6 times a month). a decline in work for me on my days off from my full time job also made it easier to say "I should not be spending rent money like this, what a waste".

havasu has been home for me for almost 3 years... I still drive back to oc for work every week. Its an easy drive from work to home because you know what waits for you there... Its very hard making the drive back to work for a few days because I flat out just miss being at a place called home.

It is a small town, however there is always something to do. I am fortunate to have a good job and feel guilty sometimes as I know how hard life's struggles can be for those not as fortunate here in town. Business comes and goes in havi and the economy doest not spare anything or anyone.

there's no place like home, I enjoy every bit of it.

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
in a way,

there are things that I do miss about CA, but since I still go back and forth often its not to bad...

others here have mentioned the shopping and the resturaunts, I would agree, sometimes it does get to ya.

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
Pros:

1. Living in what is a vacation destination for most, is a lot of fun. Everyone coming here is coming for a good time and generally has a great attitude.

2. Lake and desert are just minutes away, so never a time of year that you can't play.

3. Weather is perfect for 6 months of the year. Too hot for most for 3 months, and too cold for me for 3 months.

4. People are much more friendly due to the slower pace. Also, almost everyone of adult age is from somewhere else, so you don't have the localism that goes with some other places, and people from out of town are welcomed.

Cons:

1. Difficult place to make a living. Unless you are self employed or work for a company that has a national wage, the pay is terrible. Even then, work is hard to come by in this economy.

2. There is definitely a shortage of shopping, but the new mall is helping bridge that gap.

3. If you need air transportation, Vegas or Phoenix add a long drive to your travels.

4. Definitely less affluent and more "white trashy" then OC, but once you gat over it you meet some of the most genuine and sincere people you have ever met.

I'll add to the list as thoughts come. Overall all a great place to live, but it has it's short comings as well. In my opinion it would be a better place to retire to then it would be a place to live while you were still employed.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts