Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had a problem with a stiff neck sence I was in my early 20s ,I was hanging on the swim step of a Malibu skier(as it was moving 15mph) and stuck my head under water It tweeked my neck bad and ever sence I get a stiff neck a couple time a year and just learn to live with it untell a week ago friday.I started filling the neck pain coming on so I started taking Motrin by tuesday my left arm felt like some one was stabing it,wed night It move all the way to my fingers making them num.Ive been to chiropracitor and he said the fluid between my disks is gone and their putting me in traction pulling my head .It working some what but this SUCKS!!!! any one have another Idea or been here done this.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Magic beers makes you do all kinds of dumb things ive been paying for this one for 20 years and your 100% correct.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Have you considered trying acupuncture? I suffered with low back disc issues for a long time, went to orthopedic doctors, chiropractors, ate Advil by the handful. I talked with a professional 10 speed bike racer who told me she developed severe nerve pain in her wrists and successfully treated with an acupuncturist. That prompted me to go and it worked for me!! A lot of doctors think it is a bunch of bs because Western "civilized" medicine/surgery is the only way to go but I swear by it!!! Good luck and I hope you feel better because neck pain is, well...a pain in the neck!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Webmd.com

Herniated Disc - Topic Overview
What is a herniated disc?
The bones (vertebrae) that form the spine in your back are cushioned by small, spongy discs. When these discs are healthy, they act as shock absorbers for the spine and keep the spine flexible. But when a disc is damaged, it may bulge or break open. This is called a herniated disc. It may also be called a slipped or ruptured disc.

See a picture of a herniated disc.

You can have a herniated disc in any part of your spine. But most herniated discs affect the lower back (lumbar spine). Some happen in the neck (cervical spine) and, more rarely, in the upper back (thoracic spine). This topic focuses mainly on the lower back.

What causes a herniated disc?
A herniated disc may be caused by:

Wear and tear of the disc. As you age, your discs dry out and aren't as flexible.
Injury to the spine. This may cause tiny tears or cracks in the hard outer layer of the disc. When this happens, the gel inside the disc can be forced out through the tears or cracks in the outer layer of the disc. This causes the disc to bulge, break open, or break into pieces.
What are the symptoms?
When a herniated disc presses on nerve roots, it can cause pain, numbness, and weakness in the area of the body where the nerve travels. A herniated disc in the lower back can cause pain and numbness in the buttock and down the leg. This is called sciatica (say "sy-AT-ih-kuh"). Sciatica is the most common symptom of a herniated disc in the low back.

If a herniated disc is not pressing on a nerve, you may have a backache or no pain at all.

If you have weakness or numbness in both legs, along with loss of bladder or bowel control, seek medical care right away. This could be a sign of a rare but serious problem called cauda equina syndrome.

How is a herniated disc diagnosed?
Your doctor may diagnose a herniated disc by asking questions about your symptoms and examining you. If your symptoms clearly point to a herniated disc, you may not need tests.

Sometimes a doctor will do tests such as an MRI or a CT scan to confirm a herniated disc or rule out other health problems.

How is it treated?
Symptoms from a herniated disc usually get better in a few weeks or months. To help you recover:

Rest if you have severe pain. Otherwise, stay active. Staying in bed for more than 1 or 2 days can weaken your muscles and make the problem worse. Walking and other light activity may help.
Try using a heating pad on a low or medium setting, or a warm shower, for 15 to 20 minutes every 2 or 3 hours. You can also try an ice pack for 10 to 15 minutes every 2 to 3 hours.
Do the exercises that your doctor or physical therapist suggests. These will help keep your back muscles strong and prevent another injury.
Ask your doctor about medicine to treat your symptoms. Medicine won't cure a herniated disc, but it may help with pain and swelling.

G

·
Ive had a problem with a stiff neck sence I was in my early 20s ,I was hanging on the swim step of a Malibu skier(as it was moving 15mph) and stuck my head under water It tweeked my neck bad and ever sence I get a stiff neck a couple time a year and just learn to live with it untell a week ago friday.I started filling the neck pain coming on so I started taking Motrin by tuesday my left arm felt like some one was stabing it,wed night It move all the way to my fingers making them num.Ive been to chiropracitor and he said the fluid between my disks is gone and their putting me in traction pulling my head .It working some what but this SUCKS!!!! any one have another Idea or been here done this.
I've been dealing with neck problems most of my life. I have found icing my neck regularly has been the best medicine. It's no fun

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Webmd.com

Herniated Disc - Topic Overview
What is a herniated disc?
The bones (vertebrae) that form the spine in your back are cushioned by small, spongy discs. When these discs are healthy, they act as shock absorbers for the spine and keep the spine flexible. But when a disc is damaged, it may bulge or break open. This is called a herniated disc. It may also be called a slipped or ruptured disc.

See a picture of a herniated disc.

You can have a herniated disc in any part of your spine. But most herniated discs affect the lower back (lumbar spine). Some happen in the neck (cervical spine) and, more rarely, in the upper back (thoracic spine). This topic focuses mainly on the lower back.

What causes a herniated disc?
A herniated disc may be caused by:

Wear and tear of the disc. As you age, your discs dry out and aren't as flexible.
Injury to the spine. This may cause tiny tears or cracks in the hard outer layer of the disc. When this happens, the gel inside the disc can be forced out through the tears or cracks in the outer layer of the disc. This causes the disc to bulge, break open, or break into pieces.
What are the symptoms?
When a herniated disc presses on nerve roots, it can cause pain, numbness, and weakness in the area of the body where the nerve travels. A herniated disc in the lower back can cause pain and numbness in the buttock and down the leg. This is called sciatica (say "sy-AT-ih-kuh"). Sciatica is the most common symptom of a herniated disc in the low back.

If a herniated disc is not pressing on a nerve, you may have a backache or no pain at all.

If you have weakness or numbness in both legs, along with loss of bladder or bowel control, seek medical care right away. This could be a sign of a rare but serious problem called cauda equina syndrome.

How is a herniated disc diagnosed?
Your doctor may diagnose a herniated disc by asking questions about your symptoms and examining you. If your symptoms clearly point to a herniated disc, you may not need tests.

Sometimes a doctor will do tests such as an MRI or a CT scan to confirm a herniated disc or rule out other health problems.

How is it treated?
Symptoms from a herniated disc usually get better in a few weeks or months. To help you recover:

Rest if you have severe pain. Otherwise, stay active. Staying in bed for more than 1 or 2 days can weaken your muscles and make the problem worse. Walking and other light activity may help.
Try using a heating pad on a low or medium setting, or a warm shower, for 15 to 20 minutes every 2 or 3 hours. You can also try an ice pack for 10 to 15 minutes every 2 to 3 hours.
Do the exercises that your doctor or physical therapist suggests. These will help keep your back muscles strong and prevent another injury.
Ask your doctor about medicine to treat your symptoms. Medicine won't cure a herniated disc, but it may help with pain and swelling.
My doc said this almost word for word.Its worse if I set or drive and sleeping Ive watched the first 4 seasons of weeds in the last two nights.Im going to look for a pin doc right now Ive got nothing to lose at this pt.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys im going to try Ice right now

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Lost a tail rotor in a helo years back and had neck pain after the accident ever since. Many said go to a chiropractor others said try acupuncture but the truth was that's all guessing but doesn't tell you what is causing the pain so you can fix it. So I decided to get X-rays which showed what they said was normal arthritic issues for my age. With pain continuing, I demanded an MRI. The next day my neurosurgeon said come see me now.
Next day in his office he said "You are about to have a "Life Changing Event". Disc had my spinal cord 50% compressed and if rear ended or the right jolt could have paralyzed me. Now I carry around some Titanium in my neck.
Moral of this store... Get an MRI to see what's going on and then decide how you'll treat it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Webmd:

Stenosis in the neck area is called cervical stenosis. It can cause stiffness, pain, and numbness in the neck, arms, and legs, as well as problems with bowel and bladder control (incontinence). If cervical stenosis is untreated, it can squeeze and injure the spinal cord itself and lead to nerve damage and paralysis.

Symptoms can often be controlled using pain-relief medicine, strength and flexibility exercises, physical therapy, or corticosteroid injections. Surgery may be considered for symptoms that are severe, are getting worse, or that restrict normal daily activities.

Spinal discs are located between each of the 33 vertebrae, which are the interlocking bones of the spine that are stacked on top of one another. These discs act as shock absorbers for the spine and allow it to flex, bend, and twist.

The outer portion of a spinal disc, called the capsule (annulus fibrosus), is made of tough, elastic cartilage. The capsule surrounds a mass of jellylike material called the nucleus (nucleus pulposus).

Aging, injury, and illness can cause the spinal discs to crack or rupture. The jelly-like nucleus can leak out, putting pressure on the spinal nerves. Back pain, numbness, and weakness may result, which sometimes requires surgery.

Spinal discs are also called intervertebral discs.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yea my pain was like a flamin volcano stright up my neck 24/7 with numbness down my right arm and hand.
I had to have c2/c3 c5/c6 fused so i've got some Titanium plates,screws and cages for inside jewlery also.
Definetly see your Doc and get an MRI

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea my pain was like a flamin volcano stright up my neck 24/7 with numbness down my right arm and hand.
I had to have c2/c3 c5/c6 fused so i've got some Titanium plates,screws and cages for inside jewlery also.
This dont sound good how did yours happen

·
Registered
373 Posts

This dont sound good how did yours happen
Yea what he said. Get an MRI before you do anything else, that shit you have already done can make it worse not to mention cause permanent nerve damage.

I just had c3-c4 fused and if I don't figure out a way to strengthen my neck up to better support the other 3 herniated disk that I also have, I will be back in for a multi level fusion. Just like CM.

Hey CM, Any problems with airports after the surgery?

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Last flight for me was from Seattle to Las Vegas & back for Desert Storm 2009 (April -May) with no issues but I don't know what equipment they AP's have.

·
Registered
373 Posts
With my luck I will have to go through full body cavity searches now, I'm so tired of taken my shoes off every chance I get I just ware sandals.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I'll never understand why people f around with this chit, hanging upside down, herbs, chiro-snake oil bs. Screw the Tarot card approach and go to a conservative Neurologist or Orthopedic Doctor, get and MRI and find out what is really going on in there. You can always go back to your chiro after that if you want.

My buddy just had the same thing happen on an old injury. After his MRI it turns out there was a small cancerous tumor growing on his spine impeding the nerve. Why guess and screw around. :)sphss

1 - 20 of 43 Posts