77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im doing all of the work my self.
I am not going to have it sprayed.
Recommendations on painting to get the best wet look
Roll and tip??
Brush with fine badger hair?
Penetrol/adatives?
Any and all advise will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My plan was to primer, then 3-4 coats sanding lightly between coats. Wet sand at 2000, buff with 3m Finese it, and then buff with 3m perfect it.
Any thoughts?
Any products you like better than another

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Why? auto paint doesnt brush well, do you want a solid color? forget about metallics and honestly painting a boat with a brush is just silly. many people could help you spray it, you could do a lot of the prep work and spray a boat with out huge expense. the people on this forum could help you get a much better job.
using a roller and wetsanding wont get you there, sorry..
if you used a roller you waould have to wetsand with several grits and what are you going to polish? are you going to try to use a clear with a roller? or single stage? housepaint? no paint could be applied that you could finish with wetsanding and polish to achieve a decent job on a boat..im sorry to be negative it just wont work..maybe gel coat but thats a different animal..
You have sort of the idea, what kind of paint are you hoping to use, whats your goal? im all for doing it yourself i think you just need a bit more advice and you can do it..albeit with a slightly different approach.. do you have any friends with a air compressor?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.
Thats why I asked. I am new to fiberglass painting. My line of work is in wood and varnish.
I can do all the prep etc... but after that, its all a mystery

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Belmont Sanded.jpg

This is what I'll be painting

I got some good advise from "78 charger"

Definately interested in hearing more.
Thanks all for chiming in

·
Registered
5,180 Posts

·
Just Me
4,086 Posts
Given the project that you are working on, I would say the roller and sand method would work. It would be a lot of work, but you can get satisfactory results doing so. Since boat shows don't grade the boat for authenticity, spray does leave a nice flat finish and gives more options for painting effects. More than likely when new that boat had a brushed on paint job. But someone will chime in and tell you how it was back in the day.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i been reading this whole thread. I painted cars for years. with paint technology changing all the time and getting thinner to reduce VOC . there is no way your going to sell me a car painted with a roller and looks like that. in the event it was done with a roller you would have 1000 hours in sanding the runs and highs and lows out.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
i been reading this whole thread. I painted cars for years. with paint technology changing all the time and getting thinner to reduce VOC . there is no way your going to sell me a car painted with a roller and looks like that. in the event it was done with a roller you would have 1000 hours in sanding the runs and highs and lows out.
Yea well instead of the solid base color being 10feet deep, it will be about a hair's depth.

Think about a good paint job...it is literally like a mirror when it is done correctly.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Classic..:)sphss
Yeah...right????
I personally would never paint a car or boat with a roller....I know how to paint with a gun....:p
But as the Charger above shows....with enough "determinatiion"...it can be done. Just seems like ALOT more work than it really needs to be.
Here's another car painted with a roller....
My Cobra Mustang - Page 8 - WARCRC

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Yeah...right????
I personally would never paint a car or boat with a roller....I know how to paint with a gun....:p
But as the Charger above shows....with enough "determinatiion"...it can be done. Just seems like ALOT more work than it really needs to be.
Here's another car painted with a roller....
My Cobra Mustang - Page 8 - WARCRC
Yea well I could walk the 22 miles to work but I don't.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My work is typically wood speedboats.(Chris Craft, Hackercraft, Garwood, etc...) Applying 15 coats of varnish with a lot of sanding. I use a fine 3" Badger hair brush for that.
Now this painting seems like another ball game.
Is it possible to paint the boat as I like it with an enamel or whatever best, and then take it in and have a clear coat shot on for that extra shiny wet look? What about brushing on a clear coat afterward?

Thanks all

·
Registered
209 Posts
You mean brush on whatever then have it cleared??? There may be issues with the clear reacting with the undercoat if it's an oil based paint...or something without a hardener...
Really, the best option is to shoot a basecoat in desired color(s) and clear it.
Unless just want a single color...then an acrylic enamel with a hardener or a single stage urethane will work and still be buffed out, as long as it's not a pearl or metallic.

·
Scarab Racing
214 Posts
Thanks.
Thats why I asked. I am new to fiberglass painting. My line of work is in wood and varnish.
I can do all the prep etc... but after that, its all a mystery
Gerk,

FYI, I have sprayed kitchen cabinets and other wood projects with the exact same gun that I have sprayed autos with. For something that size I am sure you could get away with a small AC and a fairly inexpensive gun.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts