Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here running painted headers?

I know in automotive apps, the paint just burns off even if its "high heat" paint.

What about on water cooled headers? (silver would be my choice). What about a hi heat clear coat?

Anyone running them painted and DRY?

If it looks like shit or dont work, then that OK. I will have to have them sandblasted and jethot coated anyways someday.

Just not in the budget before summer. Anyone runnin painted headers and like the way it still looks?

BBC mild build if that matters

·
Bass Lake Dream'n
3,082 Posts
I painted mine over roughed up chrome I used BBQ paint. It lasted about 3 minutes. Spent hours cleaning paint chips from my bilge.
2nd attempt was with VHT Flame Proof primer then multiple coats of VHT Flame Proof black paint. No issues with heat affecting to paint, but it does chip really easy. Road gravel is a killer.
1st pic is hi-temp BBQ paint
2nd is the VHT black. That paint has 3 seasons on it. Needs redone.
Mine run wet or dry via a ball valve. Also run baffles when the law dogs are out patrolling.
If I remember correctly the VHT I used was 1300* paint. If that paint melts, I'll have bigger problems than a ugly header, my pistons will be blowing out the ends into the water. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I painted mine over roughed up chrome I used BBQ paint. It lasted about 3 minutes. Spent hours cleaning paint chips from my bilge.
2nd attempt was with VHT Flame Proof primer then multiple coats of VHT Flame Proof black paint. No issues with heat affecting to paint, but it does chip really easy. Road gravel is a killer.

You runnin dry or with water?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Headers

Anyone here running painted headers?

I know in automotive apps, the paint just burns off even if its "high heat" paint.

What about on water cooled headers? (silver would be my choice). What about a hi heat clear coat?

Anyone running them painted and DRY?

If it looks like shit or dont work, then that OK. I will have to have them sandblasted and jethot coated anyways someday.

Just not in the budget before summer. Anyone runnin painted headers and like the way it still looks?

BBC mild build if that matters
A little trick we used to use on the chrome headers was to spray 1 can of VHT into each exhaust port on the header and this would help in not to turn the headers blue. I would think this would also help when painting headers.

·
Registered
417 Posts
hey chop shop just bring them to me or josh and have them ceramic coated you will be way ahead.

·
21' Liberator Jet
523 Posts
Mine run wet or dry via a ball valve. Also run baffles when the law dogs are out patrolling.
If I remember correctly the VHT I used was 1300* paint. If that paint melts, I'll have bigger problems than a ugly header, my pistons will be blowing out the ends into the water. ;)
I'm considering painting mine with the VHT black. What did you use to prep the chrome?

·
Bass Lake Dream'n
3,082 Posts
The reason I painted mine was I wanted the two-tone black and chrome. I was told that it couldn't be done with ceramic. So, in order to get the look I wanted, I had to paint them. Ceramic may be the "right way" but not always the right look. If it can be done in two-tone, sign me up!

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
either silver or black ceramic can be done in 2 tone or any color ceramic for that matter. it's just a little more work thats all. most shops like the "easy" jobs and wouldn't entertain doing a 2 tone job. its really no big deal - a little more time = a little more money. simple

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I painted my headers and it lasted two seasons barely. Ran them wet and dry. I used VHT header paint. Prior to spraying I used a propane torch to lightly warm the metal. Sprayed a coat, heated with the torch, then sprayed again, heat again. Did about 5 coats inside and out. Then I heat cycled them on the motor. It was a pain in the ass and looks like crap now. They get real chalky at the first bend near the flange. I would just send them to Jeff.
During first season

Beginning of season 2

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
A little trick we used to use on the chrome headers was to spray 1 can of VHT into each exhaust port on the header and this would help in not to turn the headers blue. I would think this would also help when painting headers.
So you used an entire can per cylinder? Cool trick for those forkin out the cash for a brand new set of chrome headers. I have been running dry headers for 4 years so mine are ceramic, but I'm gonna try this if I ever go back.

·
markason
41 Posts
headers

I painted my headers and it lasted two seasons barely. Ran them wet and dry. I used VHT header paint. Prior to spraying I used a propane torch to lightly warm the metal. Sprayed a coat, heated with the torch, then sprayed again, heat again. Did about 5 coats inside and out. Then I heat cycled them on the motor. It was a pain in the ass and looks like crap now. They get real chalky at the first bend near the flange. I would just send them to Jeff.
During first season

Beginning of season 2
not to change the subject where did you get the chrome aircleaner? like to buy one!!!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Vht

So you used an entire can per cylinder? Cool trick for those forkin out the cash for a brand new set of chrome headers. I have been running dry headers for 4 years so mine are ceramic, but I'm gonna try this if I ever go back.
1 can for each side using it equally on all 4 exhaust ports

1 - 20 of 21 Posts