Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a new pan gasket on my MKIV BBC w/Milodon pan and using the one piece for the first time. I splooged the silicone gasket on the timing cover with the four piece kit on the last go 'round.:D

On the one piece, no sealant at all on the rails and just a dab at the transition to the front cover and the radius at the rear on both the block and the pan?

If I use RTV at the radius let it set for how long before installing the pan, then how long before full torque? Is there a different torque spec than OEM on the one piece?

I will be vaccum and soap checking before reinstall this time too.:D

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
If the pan fits well with the rear main cap and timing cover, and the pan rails are flat, you shouldn't need anything more than just a tiny bit at the transitions you mentioned. Just check the fitment in these areas for any issues that may require a little more prior to final assy,

And I'm not a fan of letting the silicone sit before assembling but............

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IF I use silicon at all, I only use it between the gasket the block. Never between the gasket and the block
. And I just wait till it skins over. That way I can remove the pan without screwing up the gasket. A "little" grease in the corners between the gasket and the pan can be usefull to help the pan pull into the corners without dirupting the gasket.
Hmmm, Got it!

Thanks, I know what you meant.:D

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good:D Because after re-reading it, I realize it was a little more than screwed up. I perfer not to have any silicone between the gasket and the PAN
Which is right whre I'm blowing a chit load of air from the vacuum pressure test after the new gasket install.:p

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I'm putting a new pan gasket on my MKIV BBC w/Milodon pan and using the one piece for the first time. I splooged the silicone gasket on the timing cover with the four piece kit on the last go 'round.:D

On the one piece, no sealant at all on the rails and just a dab at the transition to the front cover and the radius at the rear on both the block and the pan?

If I use RTV at the radius let it set for how long before installing the pan, then how long before full torque? Is there a different torque spec than OEM on the one piece?

I will be vaccum and soap checking before reinstall this time too.:D

My Milodon pans seal for shit, the only pans I have ever had leak. I hate pan leaks, I now glue both sides of the pan gasket with gascinch and silicone the rubber, install pan snug, let set for an hour and finish snuging down the bolts.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Milodon pans seal for shit, the only pans I have ever had leak. I hate pan leaks, I now glue both sides of the pan gasket with gascinch and silicone the rubber, install pan snug, let set for an hour and finish snuging down the bolts.
Now there's a common denominator.:D

I wanted to try GN's advice with my first time try on the one piece.
I'm just glad there was the thread on the vacuum trick before I power tested it. I do enjoy laying underneath a fully assembled motor on an engine stand.:D

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pressurize the block with a shop vac, a very clean shop vac, then spray a soap solution on the gasket areas and see if it blows a bubble.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I think it looks cool when a guy uses a tube of silicone and smears it all around the outside of the pan/ gasket/ block joint then uses his finger to smooth it.
I'd go with that. :D
Wags

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it looks cool when a guy uses a tube of silicone and smears it all around the outside of the pan/ gasket/ block joint then uses his finger to smooth it.
I'd go with that. :D
Wags
Then apply the vac?:p:D

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
What was that trick? Everytime I rebuild i always have a small leak at the rear main seal on my dooley pan....
I have never had great luck using a vaccum to find oil leaks. But turn it around and blow into the motor:)devil all you need is a little liquid soap and water mix (mostly soap, very little water) in a spray bottle, and you'll find right now. Just make sure the vaccum and hose are spotless.
Rat bastard :)Rant

Good side:

Not so good side:

GN7, using the shop vac as a blower worked out great.

I'll pull the pan tomorrow :)st

Sleeper CP :mad:
see the whole thread here
http://www.performanceboats.com//newreply.php?do=newreply&p=846689

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Those one piece pan gaskets are the hottest thing since sunburn. Removed one on my sons engine three times while dynoing. Still sealed up great and no leaks after a season of racing:(:(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts